Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Watchdog Report - Gasping for Action - Diacetyl

AVF Regular

Watchdog Report - Gasping for Action - Diacetyl

Watchdog Report - Gasping for Action

AVF Regular
    I thought everyone had stopped putting it in e juice. Any company who still uses it should be publicly named and shamed.

CMB
    AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by jeno1200 View Post
    I thought everyone had stopped putting it in e juice. Any company who still uses it should be publicly named and shamed.
    Nobody was ever buying buckets of the stuff and adding it into e juice. The food flavouring concentrate makers used it in their food flavours that vapers started using to mix e juice with.

Since Dr Farsalinos discovered that over two thirds of juices he tested in a study were found to contain it, some of the concentrate manufacturers started swapping out diacetyl for other stuff (butyric acid for example).

Some vendors decided to do the right thing and get their juices tested, some don't care and some even use the whole "diacetyl free" thing as a marketing tactic even though they have done no testing whatsoever.
    Fatman, 308hjute, Stewey and 3 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by CMB View Post
    Some vendors decided to do the right thing and get their juices tested, some don't care and some even use the whole "diacetyl free" thing as a marketing tactic even though they have done no testing whatsoever.
    And this is why a little bit of regulation would be a good thing.
    vapz likes this.
    The clean break: Last smoke on 2/12/2012, first vape on 3/12/2012.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewey View Post
    Interesting. 100 times as much diacetyl in smoke as in vapes, and nary a case of "popcorn lung" in any smoker, ever. Sounds like powdered form might be the requirement, and the whole thing is a non-issue for vapers.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by sassy View Post
    Interesting. 100 times as much diacetyl in smoke as in vapes, and nary a case of "popcorn lung" in any smoker, ever. Sounds like powdered form might be the requirement, and the whole thing is a non-issue for vapers.
    Are you certain about that? Do you know of any info I could read about that?

AVF Regular
    Good thing I vape flavourless. You can keep your butterscotch snapps.
    disley and sc_rufctr like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JenJ View Post
    Are you certain about that? Do you know of any info I could read about that?
    It was in the Mt. Baker Vaper post. With links to the research.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by sassy View Post
    I heard Dr Farsalinos or one of his colleagues talking about this and they mentioned that diacetyl in cigarettes is of far less concern than it is for vaping; i.e. that vaping presents a special danger due to the delivery method, but I can't remember the exact info. The upshot was that you can't make the comparison with smoking. Edit: I suppose it makes sense because the workers who got "popcorn lung" weren't smoking diacetyl, they were inhaling it directly, and vaping may be closer to that than it is to smoking.
    Last edited by Vapetoomuch; 21-02-15 at 09:47 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast