• 3 Post By Pleski
  • 4 Post By Davi
  • 1 Post By CMB
  • 7 Post By JenJ

Thread: Healthway head steps down after perks rort

AVF Regular

Healthway head steps down after perks rort

Healthway head steps down after perks rort

Premier Colin Barnett wants more heads to roll, urging other board members to quit, saying Healthway needs a clean slate.

Mike Daube might be losing a dash from his gravy train...

AVF Regular
    If Daube goes i'll be happy, he shoiuld fk off back to england and shack up with McKee

AVF Regular
    Sleazy bastards. Now someone needs to go after their associate org, ACSH or whatever its called, and take Daube down.
    Olfella likes this.

AVF Regular
    The whole board has been forced to resign, including Mike Daube. Best show on earth:

AMA withdraws final board member from Healthway after damning ticket rorting report - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

And now Daube is whining that "Internet vermin" are behind his downfall (page is behind a paywall, typical). Apparently he didn't notice that it was investigative journalists who did the work:

Medical Observer

AVF Regular
    This is the article content, don't have to pay but need to sign up which I did. The MJA paper though is behind paywall and I'm not paying to read Daube's whining.

Internet vermin’ target health advocates

7th Apr 2015
    Julie Lambert

PROMINENT health activist Professor Mike Daube suspects commercial interests may be behind some of the anonymous forces using social media to abuse and intimidate public health advocates.

The Curtin University professor, who chaired the committee that recommended plain packaging of tobacco in Australia, says the vitriol dished out by nameless attackers could have a chilling effect on individuals’ readiness to speak out about the health impacts of alcohol, tobacco and other social ills.

“I do think it’s getting to the stage where people in public health are at risk of being intimidated out of it,” Professor Daube told Medical Observer.

“I have certainly been the target of very unpleasant blogs, tweets and direct emails, replete with [obscene language]. It’s no fun having those coming into your inbox.”

He cited the example of a young Australian researcher who stopped commenting publicly about electronic cigarettes after being lashed by “internet vermin”.

“We want to encourage more young people into public health, but if they are going to hit this kind of intimidation I really do worry,” he said.

While vested interests have always conducted smear campaigns against their critics, social media has added a new, nastier dimension because it allowed people to operate anonymously and coordinate attacks behind the scenes.

“Good and decent people are being targeted by trolls as well as all the different groups… industry [and] so-called think tanks with undisclosed funding sources.

“You’ve got stuff coming at you from all these different directions.”

While there is no way of knowing whether commercial interests are coordinating some of the attacks, “it defies belief” that companies are not involved, he said.

Writing in the current issue of the Medical Journal of Australia, Professor Daube says the effect on individuals who are targeted in this way is both wearying and distressing.

“My perception from working across problems including tobacco, alcohol, obesity and gambling is that in recent years public health advocates have been subjected to increasing levels of personal abuse, from industry organisations and their allies through to social media,” he wrote.

“I find it hard to believe that at least some of this is not planned and orchestrated.”

Professor Daube told MO he had weighed up whether to speak out about the trolling issue, considering it might attract more abuse.

“Being a target is not fun, and this [article] in the short term may mean more of it,” he said.

“I’m not on Twitter because I don’t want to have all that malicious stuff coming my way.”

But the only recourse was for victims of such internet attacks to report them and try to expose the people behind the abuse, he said.

“I think we need to expose it. We need to expose some of the people behind it, and we need to encourage and support younger people in advocacy,” he said.

MJA 2015 doi: 10.5694/mja15.00059
    CMB, Pleski, JenJ and 1 others like this.

AVF Regular
    "Young people in public health". It's like an autoresponse to everything, "think of the wee kiddies".

I suppose the social media posts about Daube and his WA Health cronies drew additional attention to all the corruption scandals and accelerated his downfall, but even the prime minister came out against his "nanny state gone mad", so it's a bit precious blaming vapers alone.

And then there's that bullying letter he and his pals wrote to Lancet about an activist, if he can't maintain professional standards it's no surprise he's ridiculed:

The Worst Letter of 2014 – a review « The counterfactual

CMB
    AVF Regular
    That's funny, I don't suppose it ever occurred to him that people are sick of tossers like him telling people what's good for them whilst making a killing out of it.
    Christian R likes this.

AVF Regular
    Here's an idea Mr Daube;

What about you consider the views and feedback of the public who pay your wages?

You are the one with the power to influence, and with the high paid position, and we who feel the direct effects of your actions are comparatively powerless. Yet from your position of power you insult us and call us names? WTF?

The only avenue of expressing our objections, criticisms and opinions is through social media, and you say we don't even have that right?

If the language and tone our criticisms offends you try to keep in mind the absolute frustration and anger felt by the people your actions directly affect.

Oh, it's so obvious it hardly needs mentioning but, how about the irony of a scandalously corrupt government official accusing ordinary citizens of secret dirty dealings? I'd laugh out loud if it wasn't so despicable.
    CMB, Fatman, Altered1 and 4 others like this.

I would like to know if Mike " conflicts of interest " Daube is still involved in any tax payer funded organisations !
    And if he is , why and how can that be ? .
    You would also think any right minded university would not want him connected to them anymore.
    Does anyone know ?
    I VAPE = I LIVE

Started Vaping at 16:00 hrs on 11th April 2013...
    Saved poop loads of $ not buying stinkies since then.
    Spending poop loads of $ on shinies and juice etc since then
    But now I am happy...