Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: How much damage can one Australian do to the vape scene in NZ? Motivation?

AVF Regular

How much damage can one Australian do to the vape scene in NZ? Motivation?

I may be the only person who finds the vast majority of the content of this article utterly hysterical upon critical analysis. Its got to be written by an Aussie for the sake of seeing how far he can take things. With vaping NZ are the most ignorant country I know of, replacing independent research on ones own accord with trusting a vendor cos hes local, nevermind the 500% markup and the nic on the side at import prices, its necessary to keep the price of the weed vapourizers tangible as they sell themselves. That's pretty much how it goes in NZ AFAIK. The companies that DO make money are owned by aussies and simply export juice with nic or nic on its own.

Im doing my best to scam time off to witness this symposium.

Symposium on e-cigarettes for Auckland
    Tuesday, 24 February 2015, 12:41 pm
    Press Release: University of Auckland

Symposium on e-cigarettes for Auckland

A visiting expert on the effects of stimulant drugs will be the key speaker at a symposium on e-cigarettes next month.

The symposium, “E-cigarettes: Opportunity or threat?” is hosted by the University of Auckland’s Centre of Addiction Research and held at the University’s Business School at the City Campus.

Professor Wayne Hall is an expert in ‘neuroethics’ and over the past 20 years has led research in addiction, mental health and public health.

He is the Director of the Centre for Youth Substance Abuse Research at the University of Queensland and has advised the World Health Organisation on the health effects of cannabis use; the effectiveness of drug substitution treatment; the scientific quality of the Swiss heroin trials; the contribution of illicit drug use to the global burden of disease; and the ethical implications of genetic and neuroscience.

The E-cigarette one-day symposium on Thursday 12 March is expected to be the first New Zealand gathering for stakeholders interested in e-cigarettes.

“The meeting will provide a forum for sharing up to date evidence from local and international research on e-cigarettes,” says Professor Chris Bullen, Co-director of the Tobacco Control Research Tūranga, based at the University of Auckland. “Consumers (vapers), regulators, and policy makers, leading Māori health thinkers, legal experts, tobacco control advocates and healthcare providers will all bring their perspective.”

While in New Zealand, Professor Hall will give a range of talks at the University of Auckland. These include a public lecture on the impact of stimulant drugs on the brain and a seminar at the University’s Centre for Brain Research on ‘Ethical and practical issues in using genetic tests and neuroimaging to predict addiction risk and match addicted persons to treatments’.

‘Electronic Cigarettes: Opportunity or threat?’: A symposium hosted by The Centre of Addiction Research and the NZ Tobacco Control Research Tūranga.
    On Thursday 12 March, 2015, from 8:30am to 4:30pm at the University of Auckland, Owen G. Glenn Business School , Room 310.

ENDS
    DogMan likes this.

Super Moderator
    Forward a copy to Murray Laugesen and see if hes going , as one of the first actual scientists to perform tests on e-liquid and also being the chair of Health NZ he should be interested He is THE original champion of e-cigs ... unfortunately not very well lately

Dr Murray Laugesen - Curriculium Vitae
    Public Health Champion Dr Murray Laugesen
    fifthflo likes this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

Retired Account
    I hope you get the opportunity to attend, Fifthflo! If you do, please let us have your review of it
    fifthflo likes this.

AVF Regular
    Marewa Glover works in tobacco control with particular interest in Maori smokers.

From my experience with her, she is very pro vaping (along with any other methods that help smokers quit). She has put out a call to the public to assist in helping her (and others) to convince the NZ Govt to allow nicotine vaping.

She has signed up to MOVE. Medical Organisations supporting Vaping and Electronic Cigarettes and engages proactively with vapers in this and other forums.

Maybe you could contact her via facebook Flo. I'm sure she'll be receptive to your contact.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Marew...er/40606453139

Edit: I know she is attending and speaking at the event.
    Last edited by Davi; 27-02-15 at 06:41 PM.
    tugboatofdeath, mace and sams like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    Forward a copy to Murray Laugesen and see if hes going , as one of the first actual scientists to perform tests on e-liquid and also being the chair of Health NZ he should be interested He is THE original champion of e-cigs ... unfortunately not very well lately

Dr Murray Laugesen - Curriculium Vitae
    Public Health Champion Dr Murray Laugesen
    Done.....see below
    Hello

I am a Kiwi ecig user based in Australia and it was suggested in the vaping community to pass this information on to you. It seems from the information presented in the article that the Symposium may be a little one sided to say the least. (see link). In case you aren't aware, the dept of health in Australia put out a tender last Dec for the purpose of developing policy and regulation for the ecig market in Australia. This process is due to finish in June when the public will be notified of new legislation etc. I find it curious that this Symposium is being headlined by an Australian who's credentials leave him looking like he isn't interested in providing a balanced view. The whole article is a bit of a joke really - WHO being cited as if they are credible and reliable, especially considering the criticism they received from scientists after they produced misleading information about vaping!!!!!

Hopefully you can attend and put forward some facts and expose misinformation.

Symposium on e-cigarettes for Auckland | Scoop News

https://www.tenders.gov.au/?event=pu...5AFB30868AAFB7

Anyone else ya know FM?

AVF Regular
    duh heres the programme for the day, Murray is speaking.

Check out the whole ten minutes allocated to hearing from vapers - only one speaker of course. They allocated more time for afternoon tea for hells sakes! Ive tracked down this vaper and suggested that it be a good thing if shes only just started vaping as shed have stuff all to say, leaving a few minutes of ten to share some facts about other vapers experiences - at least attempting to call attention to the fact that ten minutes of her story is a poor representation for all vapers, no matter what it consists of. Not surprisingly shes an AK uni grad from their business school, 24 years of work experience, so in the 45+ age group - im sure shes going to highlight the nic level reduction that correlates with sub ohm vaping......

https://cdn.auckland.ac.nz/assets/fm...0symposium.pdf

Wayne Hall is pro vaping too. It's great they've avoided having D@ube and Ch@*man there.
    tugboatofdeath likes this.

AVF Regular
    if hes pro vaping why did he mention his contributions to WHO as if they were notable achievements - considering the take WHO put forward on ecigs - thus resulting in heavy criticism from scientists..............most pro vapers know WHO discredited themselves, so how come this professor paints himself as a reliable source of info to WHO on other unrelated topics, when vaping is the topic at hand and he should leave WHO right out of any discussion about it unless he wants to look like a douche! I bet Wikipedia is more reliable than WHO to consult on any health issue.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fifthflo View Post
    if hes pro vaping why did he mention his contributions to WHO as if they were notable achievements - considering the take WHO put forward on ecigs - thus resulting in heavy criticism from scientists..............most pro vapers know WHO discredited themselves, so how come this professor paints himself as a reliable source of info to WHO on other unrelated topics, when vaping is the topic at hand and he should leave WHO right out of any discussion about it unless he wants to look like a douche! I bet Wikipedia is more reliable than WHO to consult on any health issue.
    I'd suggest that it's more about what "they" took from his CV at Queensland U to promote his credentials for the symposium. Professor Wayne Hall - UQ Researchers

The real proof of course is his contribution at the symposium.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Fossil View Post
    I'd suggest that it's more about what "they" took from his CV at Queensland U to promote his credentials for the symposium. Professor Wayne Hall - UQ Researchers

The real proof of course is his contribution at the symposium.
    Note that he was quoted as being an expert in the field of 'neuroethics' - I cant find much referencing his work in this field it seems that he was a professor of it for 3 years and it ended with the event below. So probably just all that info rehashed and neuroethics will be the buzz
    http://www.uqccr.uq.edu.au/media/103...ductionNDU.pdf

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast