Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Timm4h
  • 1 Post By Vaporific

Thread: listverse article - 10 facts about vaping everyone gets wrong

AVF Regular

listverse article - 10 facts about vaping everyone gets wrong

I thought it was interesting and a good article from someone who works in the industry, but still shows a balanced view (IMO)

10 Facts That Everyone Gets Wrong About Vaping - Listverse

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus vntosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

AVF Regular
    I'm pretty sure this has been linked from the forum previously, since I've already seen it and get most of my information via the forum.

Plus I have problems with point 9 - E-Liquid Ingredients Are Not A Mystery.

Ignore the PG/VG and nicotine and you still have the situation where most flavors do not clearly indicate the content.

..the next ingredient, flavorings, are usually suspended in PG. Flavorings are food-grade, can be natural or artificial, and are limited only by the imagination of the juice maker.
    Does this flavor contain Diacetyl? Does it contain Acetyl Propionyl? I'm not sure about the 2nd, but while the first is entirely safe to eat or digest, it causes popcorn lung when inhaled, so 'food grade' is largely irrelevant. It is high time the makers of flavors gave a complete ingredient list.

Then we come to the 'anti-freeze' claim.

The next ingredient is propylene glycol—this is usually cited by alarmists as being a “main ingredient in antifreeze.” This is incorrect, as they’re willfully confusing it with diethylene glycol, which has actually been found in mass market e-cig products. I absolutely do not add any of that to my liquid because I do not make antifreeze.
    While diethylene glycol is one common anti-freeze, propylene glycol is also used as an anti-freeze:

Like ethylene glycol, propylene glycol is able to lower the freezing point of water, and so it is used as aircraft de-icing fluid.[4][9] Water-propylene glycol mixtures dyed pink to indicate the mixture is relatively nontoxic are sold under the name of RV or marine antifreeze. Propylene glycol is frequently used as a substitute for ethylene glycol in low toxicity, environmentally friendly automotive antifreeze. It is also used to winterize the plumbing systems in vacant structures.
    So there we have not one, but three different cases of use as anti-freeze.

I don't let the fact that it can also be used as anti-freeze faze me in the slightest. Chemicals can have useful properties that see them used in a wide range of applications. But to deny it can be used as anti-freeze when it quite obviously can, seems ludicrous and counter-productive. It would be better if we pushed the 'a chemical can be used in a wide variety of applications - e.g. PG: anti-freeze and vaping and antiseptic' angle.

Author of eJumica - the eJuice Mixing Calculator.
    eJumica is compatible with Windows, OS X & Linux/Unix.
    Requires the Java plug-in

AVF Regular
    OK. Am I allowed to share this without calling it spam.

http://youtu.be/WdEoputkE98
    Yul Brynner: Whatever you do, don't "Smoke"

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaporific View Post
    It would be better if we pushed the 'a chemical can be used in a wide variety of applications - e.g. PG: anti-freeze and vaping and antiseptic' angle.
    I can see the reasoning behind that, but I don't know if it would work. Simply because the amount of chemicals that are foodstuffs as well as poisonous to some degree, with constant arguing from both sides about their lethality (or lack of). They seem to be the type of arguments that polarise people - you either believe it and refuse to ingest them, or don't believe (or aren't concerned) and continue as you were. There doesn't seem to be much convincing that changes peoples minds either way.

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus vntosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Timm4h View Post
    I can see the reasoning behind that, but I don't know if it would work. ..
    Maybe not, but promulgating information that is (easily) provably false is going to come back to bite us in the butt..
    lulu68 likes this.

Author of eJumica - the eJuice Mixing Calculator.
    eJumica is compatible with Windows, OS X & Linux/Unix.
    Requires the Java plug-in