Like Tree8Likes
  • 8 Post By Davi

Thread: Ecigs less toxic to lung cells than cigs - Dr F comments and the study

AVF Regular

Ecigs less toxic to lung cells than cigs - Dr F comments and the study

Dr F's comments
    http://www.ecigarette-research.org/r...198-lung-cytot

"A new study was published today in International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. Researchers from Germany evaluated the cytotoxic potential of e-cigarette vapor (from 0% and 2.4% nicotine-containing liquids). They were also “brave enough” to compare the effects with tobacco cigarettes. Although this should have been the norm, you rarely see any cytotoxicity study today comparing e-cigarettes with tobacco cigarettes.

The study had some methodological problems. Firstly, they compared 200 puffs of e-cigarettes with 60 puffs of tobacco cigarettes. Moreover, the e-cigarette was puffed consecutively, with minimal interpuff interval (probably 7 seconds, which was reported as “blow-out” time). This has probably resulted in overheating of the liquid (despite taking 2 second puffs). However, the results clearly showed that oxidative stress and cell death were much lower after e-cigarette exposure compared to tobacco cigarette exposure. In many cases, the results of e-cigarettes were close to the control measurements (exposure to clean air).

The study verifies our previous findings from two cytotoxicity studies (here and here), which showed that tobacco cigarettes were by far more cytotoxic than e-cigarettes. The German group acknowledges this in their publication. Of course, this was possible because the authors decided to use tobacco cigarettes for comparison. In many other recent studies the authors avoided any comparison with tobacco cigarettes, leading to erroneous conclusions about adverse effects from e-cigarette use in smokers, which were completely irrelevant to the study purpose and methodology. This German study verifies all previous conclusions and confirms that results of e-cigarette research are perfectly reproducible when proper methodology is followed."

The study...
    IJERPH | Free Full-Text | Evaluation of E-Cigarette Liquid Vapor and Mainstream Cigarette Smoke after Direct Exposure of Primary Human Bronchial Epithelial Cells | HTML

Really long read but interesting points for me are that nicotine in the eliquid had little detrimental effect and it appears PG had less detrimental effects than VG.

The graphs are worth looking at because they compare to clean air and tobacco mainstream smoke with & without nic as well as PG & VG.

AVF Regular
    I only use PG because rightly or wrongly, I think PG has an excellent track record while the historical record for VG is unclear. Are there many studies showing VG is as safe as, or comparable to PG in terms of safety? Can of worms maybe.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleski View Post
    I only use PG because rightly or wrongly, I think PG has an excellent track record while the historical record for VG is unclear. Are there many studies showing VG is as safe as, or comparable to PG in terms of safety? Can of worms maybe.
    In the temperature study that came out a while ago where they claimed ecigs produced more formaldehyde than cigarettes I remember reading that PG produced much more formaldehyde at high temperatures than VG. But in an interview with Dr F he said that we know much more about the safety of inhaling PG than we do VG and recommended people use PG until we know any better.

I read a study recently whose authors had links to a major tobacco company. Their conclusions were that ecig vapour contained hardly more toxins than ambient air.

On the same day I read another study whose authors were linked to an ANTZ organisation and they claimed to have found many 'dangerous' toxins in ecigs, declaring them to be far from safe.

The bottom line for me is; in the bigger picture of everyone's daily exposure to chemical risks the toxic risks of ecigs, whether written up in a alarmist way or in a casually offhand way, are real but negligible.

The difference in risk profile between VG and PG is like comparing two brands of air freshener. One might be slightly worse than the other, but neither are particularly worrying in the bigger picture.
    Last edited by JenJ; 10-04-15 at 10:15 AM. Reason: grammar