Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Research raises concerns for e-cigarette safety - Far Less likely to quit

AVF Regular

Post Research raises concerns for e-cigarette safety - Far Less likely to quit

Just the usual stuff - all over the shop. The articles highlight how Big Tobacco is starting to take over, surprising Government even gives the the time of day.

From the Herald Sun - Smokers wanting to kick-the-habit far less likely to succeed with e-cigarettes but Mice that Vape nicotine more likely to become alcholics!

No Cookies | Herald Sun

From The Age - Research raises concerns for e-cigarette safety as government considers reform

Research raises concerns for e-cigarette safety as government considers reform
    Beyond Vape Silo Tank - VF Clone

AVF Regular
    There is nothing like a concerned government.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I dunno why we keep electing the bastards, except we have too or get a $50 fine.

Gotta love choice, hey.
    CMB likes this.

AVF Regular
    That Herald Sun article reads like comedy. Especially the alcoholic mice exposed to alcohol vapour. Hilarious.
    Danyel Geelong likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian R View Post
    I dunno why we keep electing the bastards, except we have too or get a $50 fine.
    I'd sooner pay the $50 fine than take part in their bogus elections.
    Christian R likes this.
    Mods~ VamoV2(PIFed),V5(x3(2 PIFed, 1 Sold))*Istick 20(Dead),30(x2(Both PIFed)),50(Dead),40TC(x2(1 PIFed, 1 Sold))*Vapor Shark rDNA40(Sold), DNA200(Traded), Flask V2.1(Sold)*IPV D2(x2(1 Dead, 1 Sold)),4S*eVic VT(x2(1 Dead, 1 PIFed)),VTC(x6(2 PIFed)*Sigelei 150W*Smok X-Cube II(Sold)*YiHi SX Mini M Class.*Wismec DNA200(x3),RX200(Sold)*eLeaf Pico, Pico Squeeze(x4)*CoV Wraith*Mechs ~ Genuine Phenom The Beast PVF Edition*Stingray X(x2)*Nemesis(x3)*King*Le Petit Gros(x3)*Kato*Black Hawk*Abaddon

AVF Regular
    You can send Grant an email at the Herald, i did:

Hi Grant,

That is an egregiously incorrect and misleading story.

For starters, a personal story.

I smoked for 33 years, and tried every method, including hypnotherapy, in my attempts to quit smoking.

3 weeks ago, after initially looking into it about 3 years ago (but not wanting to jump into the unknown), i bought my vaping kit. From the first drag (which doesnt even need to go into my lungs (another plus for this method)), i was off the cigarettes. I havent even been tempted back to them, tobacco holds zero pull over me...i am free. I am also on half the nicotine level i was on cigarettes. Where before i couldnt go half an hour without a cigarette, i can now find myself not reaching for the vaporiser for hours on end, the other day it was 4 hours between puffs, and then fewer puffs than a cigarette i might ad.

My freedom, like others who have cut the bonds of tobacco upsets certain people...the big tobacco companies. they have used our lungs for decades to earn money. Your article can almost certainly be tracked back to have been funded by big tobacco. They have a vested interest in wiping out vaping.

After just one week i noticed the difference in my breathing and general health. Im usually the biggest skeptic, but this is real.

How many more ways can i tell you how much better off i am?

Stories like yours only serve to further the agenda big tobacco has to make sure that they remain a central figure in the business of making money from addiction. They are and always have been a business that mirrors the role of a drug dealer, but with the complicit approval and protection of governments around the world, who have taken donations from them for decades.

What needs to happen is for journalists not to blind faith repeat and report these studies which often have their funding paid for by big tobacco, if you follow the trail of who owns who when looking at the funding stream.

The assertion in the text of your article claiming that e-cigarettes will turn anyone who uses them into an alcoholic is just plain absurd and reinforces the overall irresponsible level of misinformation throughout. Ive been an alcoholic, and always will be, but have i felt the urge to have a drink since becoming a vaper?, no. Given that i was a tobacco addict for 33 years, and have had ZERO attraction to a conventional cigarette for over 3 weeks now, and had tobacco in the house for the first 2 weeks in case i indeed backslide because vaping didnt work (i gave it away last week, tobacco free house now), one would think if any addiction was going to trigger a backslide, it would have been the tobacco one. To say that this new method for smoking cessation will make you an alcoholic is again, plain absurd.

Ive done an awful lot of research over those years before i finally took the plunge.

Since i started vaping several studies have been released which only further my belief that this is a valid method of smoking cessation, among the new studies are the following:

Both posted on the International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health

By a Greek cardiologist (who himself only managed to quit via vaping):

IJERPH | Free Full-Text | Nicotine Levels and Presence of Selected Tobacco-Derived Toxins in Tobacco Flavoured Electronic Cigarette Refill Liquids

a new German study:

IJERPH | Free Full-Text | Evaluation of E-Cigarette Liquid Vapor and Mainstream Cigarette Smoke after Direct Exposure of Primary Human Bronchial Epithelial Cells | HTML

I suggest you have a look at the Full Text version and pay particular attention to the graphs.

Please then come back to me and tell me that you believe you are reporting responsibly

Do you want to be a reporter with your own views and opinions and the ability to have an open mind and foster debate, and write things that can better the circumstances of the greater community? or a conduit for the views of others with a clear agenda?

Im not an activist, im just a simple person who after 33 years doesnt have his daily routine and health dictated by a conglomerate of people who dont have your best interests a t heart, and the governments who continue to enable them. I am writing this because i simply couldnt believe after every other method, some of which are more expensive than cigarettes, because governments also love taking big pharmaceutical money and allow THEM to keep you addicted, i am free. Im not saying that every person can be tobacco free the first day as i was, but if you knew me or asked anyone who has known me what the chances were of me smoking, you would be amazed, they all are.

Do something for the greater good Grant, at this point the bare minimum is not posting misleading articles that have no basis in reality.

Regards,

Adrian Miller

And in just over 10 minutes, this reply:

Thanks for your response Adrian,
    I am glad to hear e-cigarettes are working for three weeks and hope they can help you quit in the much longer term if you want to. However, I totally reject you criticism of my article and urge you consider it in wider context, rather than a single isolated piece.
    I am only doing my job of accurately reporting the results of a scientific study - regardless of whether I, you or anyone else agree with the results based on our anecdotal evidence, this is what they are and it is my job to report them.
    This has also been the case in other studies where e-cigarettes have been found to be beneficial, and we have faithfully reported those findings also.
    It is only a fortnight ago I wrote an article criticising the government and authorities for their ineffective bans and non-bans on e-cigarettes, so I hope you can consider our reporting in the wider context rather than basing your assessment on a single article.
    It is impossible to restate all previous research and reports on an issue when reporting on the latest news, so please look at the reporting and issue as a whole.
    It is also worth mentioning that almost all of the early studies into the benefits of e-cigarettes were conducted, or at least very heavily sponsored, by tobacco and associated companies or with very small sample sizes. I hope you appreciate that for this reason many of these studies are not deemed independent enough to warrant reporting on. As this industry is evolving so to is the research and much more rigorous studies promoting and dismissing the benefits is emerging, and we will faithfully report such findings.

Most of all though, I would urge you to look much further into your claims about "funding streams" and associated accusations about journalists not examining them.
    If you do so you will find you have the relationship exactly opposite - it is in fact the big tobacco companies which own almost all of the e-cigarette companies currently operating, though they have different names for these sections of their business for fairly obvious reasons. A quick search of the business register you can conduct yourself will reveal this about almost any of the e-cigarette companies and it will be much more use to you than simply repeating their marketing lines to me.
    It is also these companies which have paid for most of the early, largely discredited, studies into e-cigarettes.
    Fortunately more robust independent studies are now emerging as the industry is growing (some of which have positive results for e-corvettes, some which do not), and hopefully this situation will become clearer in the coming years.
    However, until the situation is clear I believe it is prudent to proceed with caution, particularly when you consider that traditional cigarettes and their early research were also thought to be safe until more robust work was undertaken.

Cheers,
    Grant.

And my reply:

Hi Grant,

I am grateful for your reply, ever so more at this time of day.

I appreciate that you may have posted many more articles, some of which are more positive (to at least my viewpoint and that of others who vape), but you also must realise that whilst you may have posted such stories that the world we currently live in and with the average attention span, people are only going to remember the last story you wrote. Sadly thats the truth and why i felt compelled to correspond. whilst your other posts may expose a more balanced view, in the circumstances i have just described, they have the ability to skew the conversation. I wish people had more of an attention span than this tweet length world, but they dont.

The premise in the study that somehow vaping will not only NOT give you a platform for the possibility of ceasing nicotine, but will introduce a new addiction, is i think if you think about it, a very dangerous and long bow to pull and smacks of pure scare tactics. And i would hope that you would question this and the motivation behind the premise. Its the most troubling and misleading part of the article.

I hope you understand that my impetus to contact you was based in the, to me still, unbelievable position i find myself, free of tobacco and health improving every day, and with the added bonus of spending the money that would nornally go to the government and tobacco companies on myself, and on far healthier pursuits.

My thanks again for your reply,

Adrian Miller
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 18-04-15 at 12:50 AM.
    Noe, Bangers&Mash, JenJ and 1 others like this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Pushing back against the vendor wall, one damn stupid post at a time...

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian R View Post
    There is nothing like a concerned government.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Gotta love choice, hey.
    I don't vote and I've never been fined, it's only once you agree to vote/enroll they can legally fine you. I would vote but it's like here's two scumbags which one would you like to screw the people over for the next couple years. I couldn't care less.
    disley likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Khem View Post
    I don't vote and I've never been fined, it's only once you agree to vote/enroll they can legally fine you. I would vote but it's like here's two scumbags which one would you like to screw the people over for the next couple years. I couldn't care less.
    I only vote when theres the possibility of a good outcome, so i too do not believe in the broken system in which you are asked/forced to chose between the lesser of two evils....

Sure ive been fined, but never paid. Since i dont drive or fly and hence need a passport, theyve never gotten paid...it seems they like to assume that sooner or later everyone has to front up to the RTA or Customs....
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Pushing back against the vendor wall, one damn stupid post at a time...

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

AVF Regular
    JenJ and Davi like this.

Limelight Freehand S/Custom Classic/StudioVape/PC Wood mods/VR Wood Mods/TMod/Reo/Floris Little Orca squonkers; Axiom hybrid; GP PAPS-X SS and Lux;PAPS Lux; GP Piccolo; Microstick; Gizmo; DRIFT M22; bOd Mecha
    Haku/Origen Little 16/Hadaly/Manta/Stumpy/Nectar/Derringer, Herons, Spheroids, Eviva, Sophias/SnP, MiniAtty, KFL+, Dripper Pro

AVF Regular
    The news articles probably show the type of misinformation campaign Tobacco will run to convince Governments that E-Cigarettes must be controlled and the manner of the control, they will try to ensure that the controls leave them with a monoply over the E-Cig market and reduce the threat to tobacco.
    Beyond Vape Silo Tank - VF Clone

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by stylemessiah View Post
    You can send Grant an email at the Herald, i did:

And in just over 10 minutes, this reply:

And my reply:
    Good job stylemessiah. You inspired me to write to him as well (thanks to btobw for the links I used!). It's not going to change the world, but the more people who respond to this kind of misinformation the better I reckon.

Here's my email;

Hi Grant,

I'm writing to you with my thoughts about the recent article by you in the Herald Sun, April 17th.

Firstly I'm always disappointed when I read articles about a particular study that contain no links to the study being discussed. I did manage to find the study in question but was unable to read it because the journal it's published in (American Journal of Public Health) require payment to access it.

The reason I wanted to read the study is that it's conclusions were the exact opposite of a few other studies I've read (not financed by tobacco or pharmaceutical companies) suggesting the efficacy rate of e-cigarettes for smoking cessation are either slightly higher than traditional nicotine replacement therapies, or indeed much higher. I found this perplexing and wondered how this odd, counter-intuitive conclusion might have been arrived at. So I searched for comment from professionals who did have access to the study. I found these two articles which put things into perspective;
    The Rest of the Story: Tobacco and Alcohol News Analysis and Commentary: New Study Which Purports to Have Found that E-Cigs Inhibit Quitting is Complete Junk Science
    expert reaction to survey on e-cigarettes and tobacco cessation | Science Media Centre

To be honest it shocks me that such a well known university could undertake and publish such unscientific rubbish, with so much clear bias. I've had a keen interest in research on this topic as it's emerged over the last two years. The reason being that I switched from smoking cigarettes to using a nicotine vaporiser in March 2013 and haven't smoked since. I won't bore you with my story, but let me say I was finally resigned to dying from smoking related illness and had little hope that this new technology would help. Happily, I was very, very wrong.

It is frustrating to see a lot of ignorance (much of it wilful) about e-cigs/vaporisers in the media. The use of vaporisers has exploded in the last few years and the technology has developed extremely fast. The 'cig-alike' type shown in your article photo (mostly sold by Tobacco companies) are known to be ineffective compared to larger, refillable tank systems used by those who no longer smoke. It's really frustrating that many studies have used these cigalikes, either because they know they will produce the results they are after, or because the time frame of the study was slow and therefore the results don't match the current climate of e-cigarette use.

Tobacco companies are not yet selling the vastly more effective open system vaporisers and probably don't intend to because their objective is to maintain sales of cheaper to produce combustible cigarettes, not to see people quit them permanently. This has meant that all types of vaporiser (e-cigarette) use is demonised in the media by their association with tobacco companies and smoking in general. Your article is a classic example. Virtually all vaporiser users that I know are ex-smokers and hate the tobacco companies as much, or more, than anyone -they have good reason to! I do not want to see the tobacco industry have anything to do with e-cigarettes, but instead what I see is a media fear campaign that ultimately scares off smokers from switching to non-tobacco company refillable vaporisers, and therefore deprives them of the many health benefits that come from no longer inhaling smoke.

Of course I know that nicotine vaporisers have not been proven to be safe in the long term, but they have been proven over and over again to be far safer than cigarettes, and no one has been able to hypothesise any potential long term threat based on the current ingredients, devices and use. As a heavy smoker of 30 years, it's no brainer for me.

I support sensible regulation of these products that will limit access by youth and never smokers, and in an imaginary world I would support the total exclusion of tobacco companies from the industry altogether! I'm greatly encouraged by the balanced discussions on regulation that are happening in the UK currently. Unfortunately I see a lot more fear mongering and idealogical non-evidence based arguments from tobacco control and public health in Australia. Your article on this dismal junk science study is a classic example of the hysteria and propaganda that will lead to millions of Australian smokers never having the opportunity I have to choose a safer alternative to smoking.

Thank you for listening to my rant, I really hope something in it may have made you glimpse a different side to this issue, and I implore you to look over the research that is rapidly emerging on e-cigarette use with the completing corporate, political and ideological biases and influences in mind.

Kind regards,
    etc.
    Noe, srb, Bangers&Mash and 3 others like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast