Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AVF Regular

Returning Batteries via Aus Post

I hope I put this in the right section. Sorry if I haven't and feel free to move it to wherever

So today I went into Australia Post to try and send a faulty 30w mod back to Fasttech only to find out they
    wont send lithium batteries via air. I knew there were restrictions with batteries although I never actually
    looked into what they were with regard to outgoing mail.

Kind of sucks and is a risk I never thought about before when buying stuff like this from overseas.

Just wondering if anyone has experience in this area? What are my options? Fasttech will only cover postage
    up to $40US or half of the cost of the item (which ever is cheaper) so I don't think its really going to be worth
    sending it via courier unless I can find a relatively cheap one. I'm only covered for about $20 AU.

AVF Regular
    Just send it via standard post ? Or did they refuse to take them how ever they were sent.

Cheers
    Midlife

AVF Regular
    I think batteries have to be sent on the slow boat to China. How does Fasttech get them delivered?

AVF Regular
    Yeah, I had similar problems with Australia post. They refused to let me return anything with a battery in it, one item I was able to remove the batteries the other I still don't know what to do with.

The other problem is it seems my package I sent over a month ago has been lost and it was registered as well, it just never got where it was going. Least not yet, mind you I'm yet to see if Fasttech take issue with the fact I sent only the mod itself back and not the batteries etc that came with it lol.

Fasttech were good though with help so far and reimbursement of postage costs etc, I can't complain about their side of things so far at all. Service is slow but has been of a good and fair standard. Last few mods I've bought local either from the forum or Aussie vendors, just been using Fasttech for wires and consumables etc.
    Every mighty oak tree started life out just as some crazy nut trying to hold it's ground!

AVF Regular
    @Midlife They said they wont take it at all if its to be sent overseas by air unless I take the battery out (like Dalork mentioned).

@ Dalork If I wanted to open it up I could probably try and fix it but I want to avoid doing that cause fasttech will probably turn
    around and say I have voided the warranty if something goes wrong. I hope that doesn't turn out to be the case for you.

Yeah Fasttech have been really great with me in all my dealings with them.

@rodbam Im pretty sure they fly them here. They come too fast for it to be by boat. The way I understand it is certain airlines
    will fly with lithium batteries and the others wont. Obviously the one Aus Post uses is one of those.

One thing that annoys me is that Australia Post are happy to be throwing my parcels over the courtyard wall but when I end up
    with a broken item they make it so difficult for me to do anything about it.......weather its trying to get compensation from them
    or returning the items to where you got them.

I should note that this battery is not one that was thrown over the wall but they have thrown them before.

AVF Regular
    Tara,
    I didn't have to do anything with the mod I sent back to open it up. It used removable batteries, it was just a simple matter of unscrewing the end cap. I could have fixed the mod myself also and thought seeing as it was only 2 days old when it failed I'd do the warranty thing. Wishing I had just fixed it myself now, bloody thing is lost in limbo in the mail systems somewhere in China it seems.

I'm certainly not a fan of AusPost, their service is anything but consistent and I've never had any luck when trying to make a claim with/through them.
    Every mighty oak tree started life out just as some crazy nut trying to hold it's ground!

AVF Regular
    this is common practice with aust post ,how the chinese get the batteries here i dont know they must have different regs ,i sent a elec toothbrush to a friend in thailand and a watch had to bson the form a bit to get it sent .Stupid thing is ill be taking mine with me in june in checked baggage and my watch will be on my wrist go figure?

AVF Regular
    Grumpy Old man, Living inPerth Northern suburbs
    To the best of my knowledge the shipping of lithium batteries can only be flown on freight only aircraft, so is usually done via one of the courier companies, ie DHL. Other general stuff is loaded onto passenger flights.
    Because I trust no-one Who tells me FACTS with no proof

AVF Regular
    lol Dalork why were you trying to send your batteries back with the mod? Yeah sure, if mine were removable then
    they would have already been out of there I really hope they end up finding your one.

It sure is silly considering you can take batteries with you when you travel etc. Its very frustrating and it sucks just
    having one postal service. Thats why they do such a shit job and dont care how they treat you. You cant very well go
    anywhere else. They don't really have any competition.

Robray yeah that's what I was thinking.

Fasttech have got back to me and told me that "its not lithium batteries. Its just ecigarette" lol
    They have suggested that I take it to the post office already packaged and declare it as a gift or tool. Knowing the luck
    I'm having lately it will be the package that gets screened extra carefully and I'll end up with another few thousand worth
    of fines

AVF Regular
    uugh after looking a this problem what a headache.
    yeah i think your SOL unless you want to post and pray.

DHL and pack and send will ship it, but for the price it wont be worth it.

edit: if it weighs more the 500g customs from needs to be fill out.
    Edit2: Aus Post dangerous goods info D10.2.3 covers batteries nothing on exporting tho
    http://auspost.com.au/media/document...de-Dec2014.pdf
    Last edited by Hoofprint; 23-04-15 at 04:46 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast