Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Dr Farsalinos new systematir review paper released (April 2015)

fad
    AVF Regular

Dr Farsalinos new systematir review paper released (April 2015)

Safety evaluation and risk assessment of electronic cigarettes as tobacco cigarette substitutes: a systematic review

I was at the recent e-cigarette expo/conference in Shenzhen where Dr Farsalinos gave a talk on this.
    Here are the Slides from the presentation
    JenJ, bikam0wz, itslilox and 5 others like this.

Retired Account
    Thanks Fad.. hope you're going to give us a bit of a run down about the expo itself
    trojan likes this.

AVF Regular
    I hope this presentation will be posted online somewhere so we can watch it.

fad
    AVF Regular
    Expos, plural. First one partially aimed at international guests, second we learned about by accident
    and mostly aimed at local Chinese market.

When (if I work through my China photos I'll put them up and do a writeup.

But more on-topic: Dr Farsalinos is a very engaging speaker and so far all of his teams research results
    have been positive for vapers.

If there are questions about the slides I can attempt to give a laypersons overview.
    mrsgruffy likes this.

AVF Regular
    Wow, theres a lot to read, but some good data

Thanks for the slides, ill read the text later
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Pushing back against the vendor wall, one damn stupid post at a time...

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

AVF Regular
    One thing of interest to me personally was that smoking cigarettes increase the number of white cells but no increase was noticed in ecig use. This would explain why smoking makes crohns disease worse ( I have crohns disease). Its not known whether vaping makes it worse but it sounds like it may not.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by nicoandlaughter View Post
    One thing of interest to me personally was that smoking cigarettes increase the number of white cells but no increase was noticed in ecig use. This would explain why smoking makes crohns disease worse ( I have crohns disease). Its not known whether vaping makes it worse but it sounds like it may not.
    I heard both smoking and NRT (so presumably vaping as well) made Crohns disease better? Or at least reduced the number and severity of outbreaks. I've read that for many sufferers nicotine has beneficial effect. This hasn't been your experience though?

fad
    AVF Regular

This slide was of cells exposed to either cigarette smoke or e-cig vapour, alongside an untouched
    reference set. The e-cig exposed cells suffered almost no damage when compared to the reference,
    but the cigarette exposed cells were almost totally wiped out.

That being the case smoking would be likely to make almost any disease worse.

Retired Account
    Patients with Crohn's disease are more often smokers, and smoking has a detrimental effect on the course of their disease, with improvement on cessation.[2,38] The reason for the 'opposite' association with smoking status compared with ulcerative colitis is unclear. Is it due to a negative effect of nicotine? There are no published data on the effect of nicotine in Crohn's disease; however, we have given nicotine to patients with Crohn's colitis -- as an enema to 13 patients, and as an oral formulation to five patients -- and some gained benefit and none deteriorated (GAO Thomas, J Rhodes and JR Ingram, unpublished observations). Of possible relevance to this observation is the finding that smoking is associated with a higher risk of ileal disease, and less colonic involvement.[39] Studies are needed to assess the effect of nicotine alone on Crohn's colitis.
    http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/516104_5

An enema of nicotine! Where do they come up with these ideas??
    Robray likes this.

fad
    AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by stylemessiah View Post
    Wow, theres a lot to read, but some good data

Thanks for the slides, ill read the text later
    tl;dr:

- comparisons should be drawn between vaping and smoking, not vaping and never vaped/never smoked
    - cigarettes are very bad, electronic cigarettes much better for you (in some cases 1400+ times less harmful)
    - much more research needs to be done; and policy then based on scientific research
    Davi likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast