Like Tree18Likes
  • 4 Post By PurpleVapes
  • 3 Post By Snidely_Whiplash
  • 6 Post By stylemessiah
  • 2 Post By Vapetoomuch
  • 1 Post By Noe
  • 2 Post By Vapetoomuch

Thread: Tobacco industry is investing in e-cigarette types least likely to help smokers quit

AVF Regular

Tobacco industry is investing in e-cigarette types least likely to help smokers quit

Smokers are more likely to try to quit tobacco cigarettes if they also use electronic cigarettes, but they are more likely to succeed if they are daily users of “tank” devices, which are designed to be refilled with “e-liquid” rather than a cartridge, researchers from King’s College and University College London have found.
    Tobacco industry is investing in e-cigarette types least likely to help smokers quit | The BMJ
    JenJ, Vaporific, Davi and 1 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Sydney (or lurking in the shadows behind you)
    Like tailor made cigarettes vs rolling tobacco, their is oh so much more money in a cartridges.
    They are just doing what their shareholders are asking:
    make as much money, as fast as possible, as can be made.

Meanwhile our super funds,
    (who swear on a stack of bibles that they don't invest in anything nasty).

• Give our money to party A to invest
    • Who gives it to party B to invest
    • Who gives it to party C to invest
    • Who gives it to party D to invest
    • Who gives it to party E to invest
    • Who gives it to party F who invests our money in;

1. landmines Are Us,
    2. We Want to Frak Your Farmland,
    3. Big Tobacco,
    4. Big Pharma
    5. & anywhere else they can earn a quick buck

Or the six degrees of separation trick
    Robray, JenJ and nicoandlaughter like this.

I Do Whatever I Want,
    Whenever I Want,
    And If It Doesn't Suit You,
    Go Start Your Own Empire

Anything I write on this Forum is purely my opinion and should never be read as fact!
    (or I could just be wrong)
    Please read the Forum rules
    (or wait for Johnny Depp to do the movie)
    Small reminder
    It's all about the cigartte ... Stupid

AVF Regular
    Thanks for posting PurpleVapes

As the full article is only accessible via signing up and a 14 day free trial, i signed up and grabbed the pdf

I posted here so all can read, the full text isnt that long btw

http://freepdfhosting.com/b463015a34.pdf
    Robray, JenJ, Vaporific and 3 others like this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Pushing back against the vendor wall, one damn stupid post at a time...

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by stylemessiah View Post

As the full article is only accessible via signing up and a 14 day free trial, i signed up and grabbed the pdf

I just did that too! Was just about to post it.

Nice that they are even considering this angle. The UK is really starting to reap some benefits from allowing the experiment of vaping to flourish there the way it has.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JenJ View Post

Nice that they are even considering this angle. The UK is really starting to reap some benefits from allowing the experiment of vaping to flourish there the way it has.
    You can get the next one
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Pushing back against the vendor wall, one damn stupid post at a time...

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JenJ View Post

It is a useful headline. Simon Chapman felt the need to retweet it, even though it would seem to force an adjustment in the tobacco control narrative around ecigs. It will be much harder now to sustain the myth that vaping and big tobacco are synonymous.
    JenJ and Vaporific like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapetoomuch View Post
    It is a useful headline. Simon Chapman felt the need to retweet it, even though it would seem to force an adjustment in the tobacco control narrative around ecigs. It will be much harder now to sustain the myth that vaping and big tobacco are synonymous.
    Really? It would be interesting to hear exactly what he said. Davi started a thread called Know the enemy. Public Health Advocacy that linked to an article by Chappy called Reflections on a 38 year career in public health advocacy in which one of his bullet points was (WTE - there is a DB error on that link right now) "If the game changes, the evidence suggests you're wrong, be sure to change along with it".

On the other hand, I read the article in the PDF and felt that by cherry picking the parts, one could still come up with negative things to say about vaping. I won't repeat the 'cherry picked' parts now, but I would like to know exactly what spin he's putting on it..

Author of eJumica - the eJuice Mixing Calculator.
    eJumica is compatible with Windows, OS X & Linux/Unix.
    Requires the Java plug-in

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Quote Originally Posted by stylemessiah View Post

From the PDF:
    Daily use of a tank device was found to be associated with likelihood of quitting.
    Just
    over a quarter (28%) of daily tank users and 13% of people who didn’t use any type of e-cigarette had quit smoking after one year (P=0.001).
    People who used cigalikes less than daily were less likely to have quit than non-users of e-cigarettes, with only 5% of cigalike users quitting (P<0.001).
    Tank device users who did not use the devices daily and daily users of cigalikes were less likely to have quit than non-users of e-cigarettes at one year, with 9% and 11% quitting, respectively, although these differences were not significant.

It goes on to say that, the study wasn't large enough to be conclusive but IMO the signs are promising that vapers/smokers using some type of PVs with a tanked tanked device (Eg carto tanks, clearos, RTAs), used daily, will help more than double (28% Vs 13%) the amount of smokers quit smoking.

Last edited by Noe; 04-05-15 at 06:14 AM.
    Vaporific likes this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaporific View Post
    Really? It would be interesting to hear exactly what he said. Davi started a thread called Know the enemy. Public Health Advocacy that linked to an article by Chappy called Reflections on a 38 year career in public health advocacy in which one of his bullet points was (WTE - there is a DB error on that link right now) "If the game changes, the evidence suggests you're wrong, be sure to change along with it".

On the other hand, I read the article in the PDF and felt that by cherry picking the parts, one could still come up with negative things to say about vaping. I won't repeat the 'cherry picked' parts now, but I would like to know exactly what spin he's putting on it..
    So far he has only retweeted someone else's tweet of the study, without adding comment of his own. We will have to wait to see if he is capable of a more nuanced view of vaping. He still believes flavour is an industry ploy to court and addict non-smoking youth. The same goes for any form of graphic art or colour on e-liquid bottles--it's all just to tempt children. Mind you, there might be an argument for limiting the design of e-liquid packaging so that infants aren't so drawn to it. Maybe they could sell juice in filing cabinets or something.
    Last edited by Vapetoomuch; 04-05-15 at 06:27 AM.
    Vaporific and nicoandlaughter like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapetoomuch View Post
    So far he has only retweeted someone else's tweet of the study, without adding comment of his own. We will have to wait to see if he is capable of a more nuanced view of vaping. He still believes flavour is an industry ploy to court and addict non-smoking youth. The same goes for any form of graphic art or colour on e-liquid bottles--it's all just to tempt children. Mind you, there might be an argument for limiting the design of e-liquid packaging so that infants aren't so drawn to it. Maybe they could sell juice in filing cabinets or something.
    Yes but of course they'll be filing cabinets with child proof drawers!