Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree311Likes

Thread: South Australian Govt looking at Ecig Regulations ABC 6/5/15

AVF Regular

South Australian Govt looking at Ecig Regulations ABC 6/5/15

E-cigarettes targeted in South Australia as regulations considered to curtail availability to minors

".................Cancer Council Australia believes that while the devices were almost certainly less harmful than smoking, they were not harmless because they could re-normalise cigarette use in young people.

It believed loopholes should be tightened around their availability because larger numbers of people were quitting smoking and the availability of e-cigarettes could negatively impact this.

It pointed out that cigarette companies were increasingly investing in e-cigarettes, drawing parallels and overlapping markets for combustible and electronic smokes.

Labor MP Annabel Digance argued that nicotine was a poison in itself.

"From what I can understand from my research, there are no longitudinal studies on the effects on health of people that actually are either using these devices or for people that are actually subjected to the vapours in the environment," she said.

"[And] if children were able to purchase this product, which they are, that in itself can raise concerns."

Ms Digance said the committee would make recommendations to address the availability and supply, sales to minors, advertising and promotion, use in smoke-free areas, and product safety and quality control under tobacco regulations.

"Other Australian jurisdictions are also taking action around e-cigarettes," she said..........."

E-cigarettes targeted in South Australia as regulations considered to curtail availability to minors - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
    Crisscross, JenJ, itslilox and 1 others like this.

Kids are rebellious and want to do anything and everything that is BADBADBAD...

If the media didn't bring the subject up quite so negatively, then the kids would be less likely to jump on this 'dangerous thing'....
    I kind of feel that the less they brought up the 'flavours appealing to kids' thing, the less likely kids would notice... And anyhow, I would prefer my children to vape rather than do many of the other more harmful drugs out there... But then again, I don't actually HAVE kids... so maybe I am biased?
    disley, Browny, Davi and 1 others like this.

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Obviously, none of us want kids to smoke but the reality is that some DO, by the same token none of us want kids to vape.
    However, given the choice of kids continuing to smoke Vs switching to vaping, switching to vaping is more preferable & this should be permitted at parental discretion.
    If kids are smoking, they are getting them somehow, no matter how tightly tobacco is regulated & sold already. So the fact is that regulation does not prevent kids from smoking, no matter what the laws are.
    A kid that vapes, is less likely, not more likely to smoke, the gateway myth is just that & recent studies in the US have debunked that myth.

As for nicotine being a poison, that is correct but in what concentration?
    The concentration & quantity makes the poison, in ejuice, the concentration is low & I am certain I am not poisoning myself when I vape at the quantities I do.
    Water is also a poison, when consumed in large quantities but I am likewise certain I am not poisoning myself when I drink a bottle of water.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Davi View Post

Labor MP Annabel Digance argued that nicotine was a poison in itself.
    As is anything, the poison is in the dosage. Drink enough water and it will kill you
    "From what I can understand from my research,
    Obviously not much
    "[And] if children were able to purchase this product, which they are, that in itself can raise concerns."
    Agreed, minors should not be allowed to purchase
    Ms Digance said the committee would make recommendations to address the availability and supply, sales to minors, advertising and promotion, use in smoke-free areas, and product safety and quality control under tobacco regulations.
    Tobacco regulations should have nothing to do with it......it is not a tobacco product
    This should be interesting
    Browny and Davi like this.

AVF Regular
    Whenever I ask anyone in Tobacco Control, Public Health or Government the following question they won't answer. I'm yet to get one "yes" or "no" and I've asked it at least 30 times.

If your child was smoking cigarettes and couldn't or wouldn't stop, would you suggest they switch to E-cigarettes?

Feel free to use it if any dogooders start going on about "teen use", "gateway", "what about the children" etc. etc.

AVF Regular
    They've already regulated vaping as far as they need to but they just don't enforce the laws. It feels like some of you are against them stopping access to minors but I can't understand why. She is talking about nic vaping and as far as I know nobody even vapes nicotine or possesses it in Aus right?
    JenJ likes this.

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Khem View Post
    They've already regulated vaping as far as they need to but they just don't enforce the laws. It feels like some of you are against them stopping access to minors but I can't understand why. She is talking about nic vaping and as far as I know nobody even vapes nicotine or possesses it in Aus right?
    Have you been hiding under a rock?

Short answer, no.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

AVF Regular
    Another couple of articles about SA in the last day....

No Cookies | The Advertiser

"FAUX cigarettes that deliver liquid nicotine but masquerade as glamorous fashion accessories would be banned from sale to minors under a move endorsed by Health Minister Jack Snelling.

A parliamentary committee will consider the use, sale and promotion of personal vaporisers, including e-cigarettes.

E-cigarettes are battery-operated personal vaporisers designed to simulate the look and feel of smoking, turning liquid nicotine into a fine aerosol inhaled into the lungs.

Mr Snelling said the committee would look at the risks posed by personal vaporisers and whether legislative and regulatory controls were needed.

The pretend smokes are heavily marketed to young women, in fashion colours.

“Legislation that bans cigarette sales to minors, smoking in enclosed areas, tobacco product

promotion and tobacco product display does not apply to e-cigarettes, and the committee will look closely at this,” Mr Snelling said.

Labor MP Annabel Digance moved a motion in Parliament this week to establish the committee.

“Currently, people can vape (smoke e-cigarettes) on the bus or in a workplace, whereas laws have been in place for decades preventing people from smoking in these same spaces,” she said.

“The committee will make recommendations to address availability and supply, sales to minors, advertising and promotion, use in smoke-free areas, and product safety and quality control under the Tobacco Products Regulation Act 1997.”

The Act bans the sale of tobacco product lookalike items, while the Controlled Substances Act 1984 makes it an offence to sell liquid nicotine without a permit, which is not provided for e-cigarette products.

“Other Australian jurisdictions are also taking action around e-cigarettes,” Ms Digance said.

“Queensland now regulates e-cigarettes in the same way as other tobacco products, the New South Wales Government has committed to banning the sale of e-cigarettes to minors and the Western Australian Government has successfully prosecuted an e-cigarette retailer for selling a vaporiser that looked like a tobacco product.”

Mr Snelling said the Government would carefully consider any recommendations of the committee in any future regulation of e-cigarettes.

The move comes after doctors called for endorsement the of World Health Organisation’s suggestion to ban public water pipe smoking, after a Sydney woman, 20 was rushed to hospital by ambulance with carbon monoxide poisoning from smoking water pipes.

Legislation regarding sale of e-cigarettes varies widely across the nation.

While at least one city shop voluntarily advertises that it does not sell such products to minors, the law in SA at present is that cigarette products that do not resemble a tobacco product and do not contain nicotine are not banned.

While jurisdictions across the nation are looking at the issue, only Queensland and Tasmania have moved to regulate faux smokes under the same rules as tobacco."

Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian

"SOUTH Australia will look at restricting the sale and use of personal vaporisers, including e-cigarettes.

THE battery operated devices are designed to simulate the look and feel of smoking, turning a liquid into a fine aerosol which is inhaled into the lungs.

Health Minister Jack Snelling says a parliamentary committee will look at the risks they pose and whether legislative and regulatory controls should be introduced.
    "Legislation that bans cigarette sales to minors, smoking in enclosed areas, tobacco product promotion and tobacco product display does not apply to e-cigarettes, and the committee will look closely at this," Mr Snelling said on Wednesday.
    Labor MP Annabel Digance will chair the committee and says other states are also taking action on e-cigarettes.
    In Queensland e-cigarettes are regulated in the same way as ordinary cigarettes and NSW has committed to banning the sale to minors."

Quote Originally Posted by Davi View Post
    Whenever I ask anyone in Tobacco Control, Public Health or Government the following question they won't answer. I'm yet to get one "yes" or "no" and I've asked it at least 30 times.
    lol.

It's because you are a nobody.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by <---cop View Post
    lol.

It's because you are a nobody.
    Let's not do the "insult thing". Would be good if you could participate in a thread that I started without you going the woman rather than the topic. It becomes tiresome and many would prefer it if this thread could stay open and without personal abuse.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast