Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree376Likes

Thread: The Epistle to the masses by Fatman!

Super Moderator

The Epistle to the masses by Fatman!

OK the following is from me , as a mod , and as a vaper, you make up your own minds as to which part is which , you will anyway, so be buggered if I am going to make it easier for you .

My words are what they are , there are NO hidden agendas, there are NO attempts at self-aggrandisement.

If after reading this enough of you feel I am not of the calibre or character to be moderating this place, then feel free to write to Jato and demand my removal .

Ok we live in troubled times , I get that . There are people frustrated with what the Govt, and Public Health are doing to , and what they portray e-cigs as… I get that.

We have a political media and discussion forum … I get that. But I would urge you to read the subtitle of that forum.
    And I quote…

“For articles, videos and general information regarding the current state of E-Cigarette hardware, juices, accessories and more within Australian and international borders.”

Nowhere in there does it state that it is a political or activist platform, that it is designed to be a place for proselytising <--great word that , look it up if it’s not in your vocabulary.

I think it is important that members of AVF start realising this site is not a private platform for personal/political agendas. ( even if they presume it is for the "right" reasons )

No-one has drama when we try and keep the forum non-commercial, and stop vendors from using the place as a farm , or platform for their business’s , in fact that was why Vendor General was created , to reel them in and stop the advance across the whole forum . Now as Vapers , we all want to see what vendors have , and compare prices etc plus we love a good comp and some discounts . So they are tolerated .

But Ideology is a far different beast , we all make our own , and we either accept it and live by it, accept it and DON’T live by it , and some try to convince others that theirs is the “one true God”
    I get that too …

What we have here is our history bound to repeat itself , because we have not learnt from the past .

The forum was used before as a platform for proselytising and when it was attempted to be brought into check , people got their noses out of joint , many flounced off to join a forum that “respected its members” and openly had a sanctioned dedicated thread to express your disgust and the poor moderation of AVF… They stormed out to make a new utopia and change the world.

Well the world changes I agree , but I am thinking the new utopia didn’t work out so well , as no great political faction/base/organisation was born out of it ( to the best of my knowledge anyway)

Now we are once again at AVF, back in a place where apparently its “well ok “ to return bit by bit to proselytising .

I myself like to be kept informed of whats going on in the political world , and therefore threads which link things are cool , and a source of information … but where it ALWAYS goes south happens the minute someone/anyone tries to influence and exert their opinion in regard to what’s happening, and the nano-second it turns to …you guessed it .. proselytising … light fuse , sit back and watch it burn!
    We have one group of members telling another group of members how and what they should think, act or do , and we have another group of members (sometimes violently) opposing the proselytising.
    We have open nastiness, we have hidden nastiness, and we have nastiness from the past that is never let go of … we have accusations of bullying , and we have private bullying going on with people messaging other people that if “ the mods don’t do something then they will “

Ok so where do I stand on all this ?

Well basically , if you are using AVF as a platform for recruiting people to your “cause “, and way of ideology , be that poking the bear , or not poking the bear, stabbing the donkey or whatever, then feel free to start up a yahoo group , or a forum , or a meeting place and proselytise your butts off !

Feel free to inform people of it , however there is a huge difference between informing, educating , or presenting cases and allowing others to make up their own minds on something , and TELLING people their opinion is wrong and creating drama and division .

If someone wants to agree with you and you run hand in hand into the sunset that’s terrific but let THEM come to you , rather than YOU telling them to “Get over here!”

Just remember … we all get shitty when someone in “Public Health” tells us what to think about vaping … Why should it be any different when someone in “Vaping Politics” does the same?

So in short … if you want to inform … post away … if you want to use AVF as a platform …nahhhhh… ( imagine me shaking my head)

Addendum… in submitting and considering all this a rather succinct statement crossed my path and it really applies to the above

“The only thing I want to know is who appointed these people as the saviours of smokers, when the smokers themselves don't want to be saved? Sounds exactly like PH telling us what's good for us to me?”

* proselytise ( just to save you Googlerising)
    › to try to persuade someone to change their religious or political beliefs or way of living to your own:
    -He was also remarkable for the proselytising zeal with which he wrote his political pamphlets. The television has provided the evangelists with yet another platform for their proselytising.

TL/DR
    AVF is fine for publishing your opinion on things , but stop trying to use it to push a wheelbarrow ... whenever someone professes to publicly represent vapers to other people or the Govt etc UNLESS they have a platform where they are charged with doing so by those very vapers they purport to be representing, then what they really are doing is passing off their own concerns , or those of a small faction as fact , and that is simply NOT the case .
    as is evidenced by the lack of unanimity around this community.
    AVF was NOT created to be used that way . ( IMO )

Oh and this is not a debate... you guys have no idea of how much we go through to keep this place on the rails , the number of missed meals,lack of sleep, and many more "Boo Hoo" moments... As a Mod I/We have very few privileges the only one of which , is that we get to run this place as we see fit ( apart from Jato's direction of course) We have of course tried to balance it but that will never please a majority nor a minority.

Time to live with it or move on to other pastures .
    Last edited by Fatman; 07-05-15 at 06:16 PM.
    D1git, Robray, giruvian and 30 others like this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular
    Does jato at least give you donuts?

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk
    "Vapers- The evangelical vegans of the smoking community"
    Quote Originally Posted by btobw View Post
    1 vote for DogMan because squonkers, dogs, chooks and brevity

AVF Regular
    TL DR

RIP 22.12.2016

AVF Regular
    Well said!!!! (as usual)
    308hjute likes this.

AVF Regular
    I vote for FM (If after reading this enough of you feel I am not of the calibre or character to be moderating this place, then feel free to write to Jato and demand my removal .) But if he hits the "wrong switch"again like he did the other day and turned off AVF, well, may the Wrath of the gods nibble at your red hat mate !!!
    Don't leave us in the dark again !!!! lol
    Al

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by DogMan View Post
    Does jato at least give you donuts?

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk
    Not a one I did hear he gave GT a boiled sweetie once tho
    gtadmin, DogMan and sj_funk78 like this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

This kind of thing is going to happen time and again Fatman. Every time a newbie arrives and gets hot around the collar about the politics and such. You need to either remove the Politics/Media section altogether or find a way to make it abundantly clear that advocacy is not allowed on these forums.
    Davi likes this.

AVF Regular
    What did I miss?

AVF Regular
    Grumpy Old man, Living inPerth Northern suburbs
    proselytising
    Did my good lady give you permission to use this word? She copyrighted it so many years ago, (just after we married, as it happens)
    She considers it her word, to be used by others with permission.
    D1git, giruvian, gtadmin and 3 others like this.
    Because I trust no-one Who tells me FACTS with no proof

Super Moderator
    Like many good words you dont hear them much these days ( unless married to Mrs Rob of course , then curmudgeon, cur, drunkard,and heathen probably are a daily occurrence )
    D1git, Robray, gtadmin and 3 others like this.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast