Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Cancer Council at it again ABC

AVF Regular

Cancer Council at it again ABC

Flavoured e-cigarettes being sold alongside lollies aimed at children, Cancer Council warns - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Just saw this in the news this morning, I've only seen one normal supermarket shop with them on a counter. At the service desk where you can only buy cigs, but tell me which supermarket doesn't have lollies and chocs at cash registers? I went and had a look, they were bloody shisha pen cig-a-like things zero nic and has a 18+ notice for sale.
    Davi likes this.
    Every mighty oak tree started life out just as some crazy nut trying to hold it's ground!

AVF Regular
    A lot of the independ servos down hear do it.

AVF Regular
    Still calling for a complete ban on sales of non nic ecigs.

"He said the devices should be banned under laws that ban cigarette-like toys."

But then implies it should just be to juveniles?

"The Cancer Council wants a suite of laws around e-cigarettes regarding marketing, smoke-free environments and sales to juveniles."

AVF Regular
    [He said the devices should be banned under laws that ban cigarette-like toys.
    "We feel these products, particularly if they don't contain nicotine, are really no more than a toy," he said.]
    Now my say
    Firstly they do not want anyone using nic at all but now are also saying if they do not have any nic then they should be banned because they are nothing more than a toy
    Dalork likes this.

AVF Regular
    I'm annoyed at any supermarket manager who would decide to put them next to the lollies at the check out. Why wouldn't they put them on the cigarette counter/checkout? That's where they'd reach the buyer group they're aimed at.
    Browny, Davi, Dalork and 1 others like this.

AVF Regular
    He said the devices should be banned under laws that ban cigarette-like toys.

"We feel these products, particularly if they don't contain nicotine, are really no more than a toy," he said.
    That sounds like the CC of NSW are pushing for the same result they had in WA? So presumably they are waiting for the outcome of the WA appeal to see if a precedent will be set that they can move on.
    tugboatofdeath and Dalork like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JenJ View Post
    I'm annoyed at any supermarket manager who would decide to put them next to the lollies at the check out. Why wouldn't they put them on the cigarette counter/checkout? That's where they'd reach the buyer group they're aimed at.
    I too dislike this practice.

I asked my local smoke shop about them and they said they get them from novelty item wholesalers, not tobacco or vaper companies. I wonder if cancer council asked this question?
    JenJ and Dalork like this.

"While e-cigarettes do not contain tobacco, which is a cancer-causing substance, they typically contain potentially toxic and addictive nicotine."For smokers [e-cigarettes] are often promoted as a way to quit but what we often see is a lot of dual use of both electronic cigarettes and tobacco products," Mr Walseberger said."

Sorry isnt it illegal to sell ecigs with nicotine in them in Australia?
    and I really don't know anyone that uses dual use. once your vaping the actual smell of a cigarette is a turn off.
    Browny, Davi, Dalork and 1 others like this.
    Don't try to be a great man; just be a man

Lollies at the checkout are there for adults as they are the ones most likely to be at the checkout with money. How many children do you see at the checkout without their parents? How many children do think regularly shop at service stations? The lollies and candy are put there for adults. It makes sense to put the cigalikes there as well.

I don't think it has much to do with children. Mostly public health spin.

AVF Regular
    Adults eat lollies???
    Nooooooo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast