• 1 Post By Vaporific
  • 1 Post By pgscott
  • 2 Post By Vaporific
  • 1 Post By gtadmin
  • 1 Post By gtadmin

Thread: E-Cig research DB

AVF Regular

Lightbulb E-Cig research DB

It strikes me that every time an anti-vaping zealot quotes an obscure study that supports their limited world view, it would be handy to be able to access a web based DB (database) of e-cig research to (quickly) find the studies that refute or otherwise disagree with the study being quoted.

The DB would need to hold the abstract and conclusions of the study (possibly even the text and images of the body, if allowable) the people that did the study, the funding sources & potential conflicts of interest, date published, location of the test subjects..

Are there any such DBs in existence?

Do the collected audience feel this type of DB would be of benefit? Note that the DB would need to collect details of all e-cig research, and would therefore also be a tool usable by the aforementioned zealots.

TLDR; I have also reserved a Google app. engine name for a potential 'E-Cig DB' site, and am toying with creating one myself. The major hurdle to doing that is that I don't have much (OK any) experience with creating and maintaining DBs. My expertise will be better suited to the front end through which users query the DB. Well that and the motivation will largely hinge on answers to the above questions.

The idea is to create the software, then authorize a group of people to update the details in a kind of 'Wiki style' situation. I also quite like the idea used by Stack Exchange Q&A sites as well. They will allow just about anybody to suggest an edit to the details of a question or answer on their sites. The proposed edit is then placed in a queue where the more 'senior' members get to approve/reject the change before it appears to the general public. I myself have made answers with typos. in them, that one junior user will notice and correct, and other more senior users will authorize, between when I logged out and back in. It works quite well.
    vapz likes this.

Author of eJumica - the eJuice Mixing Calculator.
    eJumica is compatible with Windows, OS X & Linux/Unix.
    Requires the Java plug-in

Super Moderator
    That's what I do ... build UIs (web, desktop) and DAL for capturing corporate data into backend SQL Sever dbs (amongst a heap of other things). You'll need a searchable "tag" field and many filter fields to make it useful I feel. Then will the person adding a record be bothered to fill out all the fields?
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by gtadmin View Post
    Then will the person adding a record be bothered to fill out all the fields?
    That is where the 'community wiki' style effort comes in. For instance, I'm not good at sourcing the research articles, but if someone points to a new one, I (and hopefully others) would be competent to fill in the blanks, including the tags.

Super Moderator
    It's going to take a big effort to getting it right first up and then maintaining it.
    And google docs is a pain ...
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

Vaporific likes this.

AVF Regular
    &#8230 And google docs is a pain ...
    Google App. engine != Google Docs

I use Google docs. (to distribute software, among other things) and they're great for what they achieve, but the app. engine is an entirely different deal. OTOH, I am wary of using the GAE. It might not lead to portable code/data, and Google might suddenly decide to end it.
    gtadmin and trojan like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by pgscott View Post
    Thanks! If this gets off the ground, that would be one good starting place for information. But I do want that 'easily searchable' aspect of an actual DB.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaporific View Post
    Google App. engine != Google Docs

I use Google docs. (to distribute software, among other things) and they're great for what they achieve, but the app. engine is an entirely different deal. OTOH, I am wary of using the GAE. It might not lead to portable code/data, and Google might suddenly decide to end it.
    Sorry my mistake, all my development is corporate so I use (dare I say it) proper IDEs that compile against a widely distributed runtime.
    Vaporific likes this.

AVF Regular
    a widely distributed runtime.
    Yes. If I coded the front end in the GAE, I'd use Java (since I know it). But I'm wondering if (for example) PHP and MySQL might be a more widely portable platform. GAE is supposed to support PHP, but it states this support is 'experimental'.

I've also considered creating a 'crowd sourced' project that would pay for a server with DB support. That would ultimately give us more control and a wider range of deployment options (PHP is supported on more servers than can run Java).

Super Moderator
    You can also use SQL Express (which is actually the full blown version if you custom install rather than using the defaults on the "Wizard"). PHP is most widely supported, but if the server is Windoze, then dot.NET framework allows full compilation.

Not sure how much hosting is though.
    Vaporific likes this.