Like Tree16Likes
  • 8 Post By PurpleVapes
  • 8 Post By rodbam

Thread: Italian court finds tax on ecigs unconstitutional - for an interesting reason

AVF Regular

Italian court finds tax on ecigs unconstitutional - for an interesting reason

The Court said the tax on cigarettes is justified because cigarettes are recognized as "seriously toxic for health" while the "same supposition isn't apparent with relation to the sale of products containing 'other substances'" different from nicotine.
    Court says 'super tax' on e-cigarettes unconstitutional - English - ANSA.it

I find this interesting because if/when they do decide to tax ecigs in Australia, this kind of argument may be used against it ; if indeed the Australian legal system works in similar ways.

Cigarettes are taxed because they cause health problems. If it can't be proven that ecigs also cause health problems, then there is no justification for a tax.

I think this is why the Australian Government is holding onto the nicotine poison law as its sole hook on keeping ecig usage minimal is Australia - they will never be able to regulate it as a high tax revenue generating industry as a substitute for Australia's tobacco cigarette industry.

AVF Regular
    I'm not sure of the logic but the government used to tax my wages & they weren't a health hazard.
    sperex, Fatman, Cath Mort and 5 others like this.

AussieVapers approved Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by rodbam View Post
    i'm not sure of the logic but the government used to tax my wages & they weren't a health hazard.
    rofl!

Quote Originally Posted by rodbam View Post
    I'm not sure of the logic but the government used to tax my wages & they weren't a health hazard.
    It's a pre-emptive sin tax. You know, incase you take up ice, crack, meth, heroin, etc

AVF Regular
    The supertax was ridiculous. It put a lot of retailers out of business overnight by forcefully raising the price of liquid to the same as tobacco. Diabolical.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Cigarettes are taxed because they cause health problems. If it can't be proven that ecigs also cause health problems, then there is no justification for a tax.
    Exactly, well put.