View Poll Results: WOuld you support the chemical testing of ejuices

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would support a Law requiring this kind of testing for all ejuices

9 45.00%
  • I would not support such a Law, but I would only buy ejuices that had been tested

5 25.00%
  • I would not support such a Law, and I would still purchase untested ejuices

6 30.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Like Tree13Likes
  • 1 Post By Filfa
  • 3 Post By Vapetoomuch
  • 1 Post By Noe
  • 1 Post By EwaZofia
  • 3 Post By jheltonau
  • 2 Post By richo262
  • 2 Post By steve.c

Thread: Should it be law / Would you support those who did

AVF Regular

Should it be law / Would you support those who did

An interesting post on reddit : What exactly is in vape juice? - Album on Imgur

Would you support a law that forced ejuice manufacturers to do this to all their ejuices (not including different nicotine or VG content)?

or would you put pressure on companies by only buying ejuices that were tested?
    Last edited by PurpleVapes; 28-05-15 at 12:42 AM.

AVF Regular
    I have mixed feelings on this.

On one hand, everyone who is anyone seems to have their own juice line at the moment which is a reason for Pro-Testing

On the other hand, how many juices will we never get to try due to the cost of government testing which is a reason for Anti-Testing

D:

I guess if there was an option "I would not support a law like this, but I would prefer to buy juices that have been tested" ?
    Vaporific likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Filfa View Post
    I have mixed feelings on this.

On one hand, everyone who is anyone seems to have their own juice line at the moment which is a reason for Pro-Testing

On the other hand, how many juices will we never get to try due to the cost of government testing which is a reason for Anti-Testing

D:

I guess if there was an option "I would not support a law like this, but I would prefer to buy juices that have been tested" ?
    I kind of feel the same way.

I would prefer it if companies tested their ejuices gradually over time as they could afford it. There would be a time when some vendor's ejuices will have the tested tick, and others didn't, keeping untested but popular ejuices on the market while waiting for them to be tested. I dont think I would support a law, but the bulk of my purchases would go towards tested only products.

AVF Regular
    There is very little data on which chemicals are safe or unsafe in which concentrations, so test for what?
    jheltonau, steve.c and disley like this.

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Aside from PG, VG & Nic, the last main ingredient in ejuice is flavouring, sometimes water or alcohol is added & some manufacturers may substitute PG with something else but in the main the first four things I listed are the ingredients in the bulk ejuice produced.

The first two of those are generally USP/BP grade or at the very least food grade & testing of those is fairly pointless. Nicotine strength testing would need to be done per batch & could be very expensive if juice is made in small batches, the cost of which would increase the price of juice. The better way for nic strength to be tested is at the point of manufacture, where it is extracted &/or mixed with PG or VG base (eg @ 100mg/ml), these batches are usually large quantities & testing a batch of 1000L is relatively cheap.

The main concern is with flavourings, if you are vaping unflavoured, then this isn't an issue for you but nearly all the flavourings used for vaping are safe for use in food, however that is not the same as inhalation.
    So here we come to the complicated part, different batches of flavour concentrates, of the same flavour may contain different chemicals in slight variance & different contaminants, overall the flavour profile is the same & is undetectable to those mixing or using it.
    As was already mentioned, these flavours are manufactured for use in food products, the manufacturers test it for food safety (in some cases) but they will not test it or recommend it for inhaling safety.

This leaves us in the position where vendors would have to test each new batch of juice they make or at the very least every bottle of flavour concentrate they open, this is an expensive process (normally).
    So suppose a juice maker uses 6 different concentrates in just 1 juice they make, they would need to pay for 6 tests or risk mixing the juice & test just the juice, paying once, there is a catch to using the mix & test method though.
    If the juice is found to have a contaminant from the flavourings added, then that entire mixed batch is now wasted & testing needs to be done on each of the flavour concentrates used anyway.
    So the best method is testing the flavour concentrates, rather than the juice.

This is where the expense is going to come into it & where juice prices are going to reflect that expense, which raises another question:
    How much are you prepared to pay, extra per 30ml bottle of ejuice, to know it has been tested?
    steve.c likes this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

AVF Regular
    I know that few people will like what I'm going to say, because flavours are very important to most vapers. Over my vaping history (3.5 years) I became gradually more concerned about additives, safe for ingestion but unknown for inhalation. I believe it is a big issue. For this reason I now vape exclusively my own mix: nicotine, PG and menthol, nothing else nothing more. Likely over time inhalation safety of various food additives will be known, but until such time I stick to the above.

A completely different issue is contamination. In my opinion ingredients should be tested before they are used to make a liquid. Anything else is madness and eventually leads to testing each bottle separately.
    steve.c likes this.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Why would anybody choose government intervention into their lives? What happen to taking personal responsibility for your own actions. Chemicals didn't worry you when you were lighting up the cigarettes - why worry now on vaping? I guess the folks that support mandated testing will support the new taxes levied on the products too. IMO just plain stupid.
    As for the flavourings in ejuice they don't worry me - - I get more dangerous chemicals in my lungs standing at the bus stop. - rant over

Quote Originally Posted by jheltonau View Post
    Why would anybody choose government intervention into their lives? What happen to taking personal responsibility for your own actions. Chemicals didn't worry you when you were lighting up the cigarettes - why worry now on vaping? I guess the folks that support mandated testing will support the new taxes levied on the products too. IMO just plain stupid.
    As for the flavourings in ejuice they don't worry me - - I get more dangerous chemicals in my lungs standing at the bus stop. - rant over
    Nailed it. Asking the Government to come into this arena is just asking them to never leave.

I'm all for standard regs such as no sales to minors. Completely against Government clip board holders inspecting all juice companies for the purpose of meeting their demands. It will raise costs, and likely will not achieve much the market wouldn't already have done.

For instance, we recognise that certain compounds may be harmful, most companies react, we recognise certain temps may be harmful, we get temp control, the market is much better than a clipboard. In Australia, if a company stated it doesn't contain X and it is later found it does, there are already adequate laws under the Competition and Consumer Act (Cth) 2010 to ping them for a s18 misleading and deceptive practice. That is sufficient.
    jheltonau and steve.c like this.

"There should be no restriction on the sale of e-cigarettes. With or without nicotine. Except in relation to children."
    https://www.facebook.com/LDP.austral...type=1&fref=nf

Liberal Democratic Party.

AVF Regular
    All it would do is double the price of juice. And what if it was tested and flavouring was found to be toxic? Would everyone start vaping flavourless? I doubt it. We already new cigarettes were toxic and we smoked a pack of those a day. The last thing you want is to invite the government into the juice market, once their in they'll be in permanently and when the gov gets involved it usually costs us money and causes complications somewhere along the line.
    virtualphoenix and disley like this.