• 1 Post By Filfa
  • 2 Post By sassy

Thread: Tasmania *IMPORTANT* DHSS asks for public comment about e-cigs

Question Tasmania *IMPORTANT* DHSS asks for public comment about e-cigs

Make sure you comment before 24 July!

HERE is the site

HERE is the discussion paper

HERE is the response template

Department of Health and Human Services Public Health Tobacco management Electronic Cigarettes

An e-cigarette replicates smoking behaviour without the use of tobacco.

It is a battery-operated device designed to heat a liquid (known as e-liquid or e-juice) to produce a vapour that users inhale.

The liquid generally contains a base solution of propylene glycol and glycerine. Ingredients typically added to this solution include flavouring and a range of chemicals. They may or may not contain nicotine.

E-cigarettes that contain nicotine are called electronic nicotine delivery systems (ENDS).

It is illegal to sell, buy or use e-cigarette cartridges containing nicotine in Tasmania.

Most devices contain an electronic vaporisation system, a battery and a liquid cartridge.

Some look like conventional cigarettes while others appear more like an electronic device or resemble everyday items such as lipsticks and pens. They can be disposable, re-chargeable and/or refillable.

E-cigarette public discussion

Public Health Services has released a discussion paper on the range of options around the use of electronic cigarette devices in Tasmania.

At the moment there are no restrictions on the availability and use of nicotine-free electronic cigarettes in Tasmania. We want to hear views from individuals, businesses and organisations on whether this should remain the case.

The discussion paper and response template are now available.

The response template is provided for your convenience but other written submissions are welcome.

Submissions will be published online unless clearly marked as confidential. Anonymous submissions will not be accepted.

For enquiries and copies of the discussion paper please contact Public Health Services on 1800 671 738 or email public.health@dhhs.tas.gov.au

Closing Date: Submissions must be in writing and received by the Department by 5pm Friday 24 July 2015.

Written submissions may be emailed to public.health@dhhs.tas.gov.au or forwarded to:

Senior Advisor Tobacco Policy, Public Health Services

Department of Health and Human Services

GPO Box 125

Hobart TAS 7001

The Tasmanian Government gratefully acknowledges the ACT Government for its permission to model this paper on its discussion paper.

June 2015
    itslilox and Sponky like this.

why do we have to submit it in paper, It's not so hard to make a digital one, I bet they are just relying on the complacency of people to not get as many responses. Guys if you're in Tasmania please take some time to write your thoughts on this and prove them wrong. We finally have an opportunity to have our say on how these will be regulated and work with the health department to benefit the community as a whole, that is.. keep e-cigarette available for smokers that want an alternative choice and avoid the stigma that it's marketed to young kids.

AVF Regular
    I wrote a reply earlier this month, e-mailed it to the e-mail address provided (If you're on VCA you'd see my reply over a spread of posts)

Received an e-mail back saying
    Thank you for your submission, it has been received.

Forwarded on behalf of Public Health
    Public Health Services | Department of Health and Human Services
    3/25 Argyle St Hobart GPO Box 125 Hobart Tas 7001
    Phone 1800 671 738 | Fax (03) 6222 7692

A fair and healthy Tasmania
    itslilox likes this.
    CompLyfe or no lyfe.

AVF Regular
    Ingredients typically added to this solution include flavouring and a range of chemicals. They may or may not contain nicotine.
    What's the range of chemicals?

AVF Regular
    Thanks I'll print it out and fill it in tomorrow. Unfortunately this looks like they've already made up their mind and are just looking for support. The anti-vaporiser bias in the discussion paper is blatant.

AVF Regular
    Shit I missed this!

AVF Regular
    Sponky and Motmo like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by disley View Post
    What's the range of chemicals?
    I think they just like using vague wording.

"Chemical" to a layman could mean anything, everything we eat, drink and even breath, has chemicals.
    We really don't know what the long term effects of vaping will have on us. Studies up until now are very young. The chemical reactions that happens when we vape must be quite complex and in the end, we are made to breath the air that surrounds us, not steam or smoke.
    But the more debates we have on vaping the more awareness there will be, be it positive or not. The lack of many vapers walking around the street, makes our "hobby" somewhat unknown to a lot of aussies.
    I will be travelling in time, please leave a message and I will get back to you last week.