Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: 23 Suicides related to Champix in Australia

AVF Regular

23 Suicides related to Champix in Australia

I found this article on news.com.au, normally I take there stories with a grain of salt but I too had strange mental happenings when I tried the stuff.

A Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) spokeswoman said it had received 23 reports of suicides from those using the drug.

“I would also make the very strong point that ‘linked to Champix’ is an assumption — they were simply taking it at the time,” she said.

“The adverse events also occur at a time when there is abrupt cessation of a nicotine addiction, which can cause depression. This is a very different situation to the situation when nicotine replacement therapy is used.”
    Very sad news yet the drug is backed by TGA. Interesting enough that they mention NRT is preferable.

I am also not stating that Champix IS the reason but seems very plausible.

Glad I found vaping
    sammstein likes this.

“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the Weather.”
    Bill Hicks 1961-94

AVF Regular
    A few change.org petitions have appeared recently urging better warnings about side effects or even ban the drug completely . . . .

eg https://www.change.org/p/pfizer-stop...g-drug-champix

AVF Regular
    Our Caring TGA and Pfizer Friends

“The TGA continually reviews the adverse events and we believe that Champix PI and CMI contains the appropriate information to assist in its safe and effective use. This includes appropriate warnings on neuropsychiatric adverse events such as self-harm and suicidal tendencies.”

A spokesman from Pfizer said the company took the safety of its medicines “very seriously”.

“Pfizer regularly reviews safety data and post-marketing adverse events and reports this to the independent regulator, the Therapeutic Goods Administration,” he said. “Any changes to the Product Information are made in discussion and agreement with the TGA.”

He said the Champix PI (for doctors) and Consumer Medicines Information (for patients) already contained information about the “potential neuropsychiatric adverse events” associated with the use of the drug.

He added if users wanted more information they could find it online.

“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the Weather.”
    Bill Hicks 1961-94

AVF Regular
    Somehow think we will see more of this kind of thing in the news
    “But I don’t want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
    "How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
    "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”
    Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Comic Database: Steve Hughes... Offended?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHMoDt3nSHs

AVF Regular
    I took the one before it.....zyban and that was not a pleasant experience. Had a few mental blank spots....long enough for people to notice and mention it. That was only after a fortnight. Scary stuff
    Borgus likes this.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

AVF Regular
    I thought Champix was awesome... but then again I did used to eat all sorts of psychedelic stuff.
    Crisscross, Fatman, disley and 1 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Haha I might stock up on this "quitting aid" sounds great.

AVF Regular
    That stuff made me feel unwell.

This is telling:

Because of concerns over the drug in the US, a black box warning label was introduced by the Federal Drug Administration. Pfizer has fought to have this warning removed, according to The Wall Street Journal.

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

Without specific approval, No one has permission to quote me outside of AVF

Super Moderator
    I got part way into week two (so hadn't actually stopped smoking yet) and had to stop taking it. The mood fluctuations actually scared me, they were that extreme.
    Ingrid

Quote Originally Posted by rockmoose View Post
    Is Ingrid the only one who thinks my penis looks slightly vaginal?

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    wow..and to think my doc tried to prescribe me to Champix and advised against the use of 'electronic cigarettes'..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast