Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: online gst tax

AVF Regular

online gst tax

the government's proposed gst to be charged for online purchases is a levelling of the playing field for Australian e-retailers but will also affect all of our purchases of overseas nic ....

AVF Regular
    Also mentioned is that it would cost more to collect than it would generate...

Imagine trying to collect gst from millions of small businesses across the planet. Complete fantasy idea.
    markatneerim likes this.

AVF Regular
    I'm a bit ambivalent about gst on online purchases from os

I pay gst locally, to me, as long as my order comes through efficiently, I don't mind too much. a necessary evil. But it is not the local online retailers moaning. Its the Harvey Norman 's of this world. And I've got news for him: a gst on online os purchases will still be cheaper than you can offer in a larger retailer.

If it costs more to collect than it collects on the other hand, that's different

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

Without specific approval, No one has permission to quote me outside of AVF

AVF Regular
    If a US small business tells the ATO to go and eat turd and not pay GST there is pretty much nothing they can do.

Whereas the big content providers (netflix etc.) have agreed to pay local sales tax. As they should.

edit: the idea of trying to collect tax from Chinese businesses is just preposterous. I don't know which 2 bit pony actually suggested this nonsense.
    Last edited by Northerner; 21-07-15 at 06:58 PM.

AVF Regular
    Or the customs could start opening every package and trying to guess values of stuff and then storing the stuff in a gigantic warehouse until people paid up.

But if 20% of people didn't pay immediately they would need to have the storage of 100% of the daily mail as a processing area in less than a week.... a month later the warehouse would be painfully unnavigable. As more people contested the GST charges the mail would flow out onto the street... lol

CMB
    AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Northerner View Post
    Also mentioned is that it would cost more to collect than it would generate...

Imagine trying to collect gst from millions of small businesses across the planet. Complete fantasy idea.
    I'm sure they'll figure it out, most likely by spending more of our money to collect more of our money, they're good at that
    floorzone2, Fatman and Browny like this.

AVF Regular
    From what I understand Customs will intercept any goods coming into the country and issue an invoice for the GST, which is what they do now for goods over $1000 in valus. I can't wait to see the mess they get into when the system starts, they will have millions of stopped postal items that they will have to store until the GST is paid.

What will they do about the items that are marked as gifts, trade samples or simply marked down in value on the declaration. Once they start opening stuff to check it's valus the international parcel post will grind to a stop.
    Browny likes this.
    Beyond Vape Silo Tank - VF Clone

AVF Regular
    In Imaginaryland everyone will give 90% of their money to the government and live in communal housing. We will want for nothing and the system will be fair and just.

And online GST would be possible to implement.
    markatneerim and Browny like this.

AVF Regular
    With imported goods over $1000 fees are only payable if it is locally available. So juice with nic or plain nic would still be free
    Browny, Northerner and oldgamer like this.
    Last cigarette, 11:00 AM 11th March 2015.

Super Moderator
    I think the end game is to have the banking and payment services on board and they will slug you GST everytime your money leaves the shore to a foreign account ... wouldnt take much for say Paypal to take up the challenge ... Tony Abbot whispers in Mr Paypal/Visa/Amex/whoever's ears ... "Hey every offshore transaction ... you charge them 10% on our behalf , and we will give you a proportion for collecting it for us " ... Mr Paypal/Visa/Amex/whoever rubs hands in glee at an increase in turnover of a few percent ( i.e. $$$$MILLIONS!!! ) for writing a few lines of script into their calculator ....
    Altered1 likes this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast