• 1 Post By Steam-e-cigs
  • 2 Post By PurpleVapes
  • 4 Post By Steam-e-cigs
  • 2 Post By stylemessiah

Thread: Call-out to all Vendors re: Association

AussieVapers approved Vendor

Exclamation Call-out to all Vendors re: Association

Afternoon all,

As a lot of us are aware, we have a lot of movement happening in the political sphere regarding the legalities of e-cigs in a few states. I had recently paid a visit to the NSW Health department regarding the briefing on the new Public Health (Tobacco) Amendment (E-Cigarettes) Act 2015 that commences its first component of changes in September. I unfortunately realised that I was the only vendor sitting at the table beside Heart foundation, Cancer Council, Clubs NSW and a few other prominent influences in the industry. At the end of the briefing I asked the Health Department Representative why no other vendors were at the table. Her answer was who do we contact? There is no association or body to speak with.

The positive news is that NSW Health agree that e-cigarettes have the potential to save lives and are taking an evidence-based decision making approach. That being said they are not aware how the upcoming changes will impact both Brick and Mortar stores and online shops because no one has given them that feedback.

Late last week I forwarded my response to the amendments as an individual vendor to the Health Department for them to view and take on our feedback with an aim of getting some flex to the interpretation of the amendments.

As of tonight I will be putting together a piece that will be a response to the Health Department from a Vendors associations perspective. I will be putting this document on the table for all vendors to view. I would like to invite my fellow vendors to the Steamers HQ for a discussion on a commencement of an association and to commence debate on how we want the association to respond to future legal changes. This will hopefully be a step towards having a voice for the industry.

I have already received confirmation from two vendors (one of which is a prominent approved vendor on AVF) that would like to attend. If you are interested in attending as well or have any other questions, please feel free to contact us via PM or email at info@steamecigs.com.au.

Details:

Steamers HQ - 30/506-514 Botany Road, Beaconsfield, NSW 2015
    Date and time: Tuesday 18th August 2015 @ 6.30pm

INTERSTATE VENDORS: For those that would like to attend but are not able to attend due to their location, please let me know and I will attempt to have a Skype/Google Hangouts option.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Maxim
    Pleski, sperex, Fatman and 7 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Well done Maxim, for stepping up and putting this in action. Very disappointing that you were the only vendor there
    I will be travelling in time, please leave a message and I will get back to you last week.

It was unfortunate but no individual is to blame. We are still a relatively small industry with a quiet voice without enough reach to be heard by the big stakeholders. Hopefully that will change.
    CCVaper likes this.

AVF Regular
    I think this direction is good.

Ideally, there should be two associations. A Trade Association, and a Consumer Association. This is so that each group can work on their own issues, and support each other, much like CASAA and the American Vaping Association. Both were very much influenced by Greg Conolly (GregTHR), but even Greg kept his positions separate. When he became president of AVA, he left CASAA, but still supporting and advising CASAA on their activities.

I think vaping in Australia will be stronger if the vendors and consumers organise in a similar fashion. (Not that vendors cant be apart of the consumer association, after all, Im pretty certain every vendor is also a consumer of vaping products).

Isnt there a B&M vape shop in carringbah called Whysmoke? Any word from this company?
    Pleski and Brave like this.

UPDATE

Afternoon folks, its official! We have our first AGM as AVVC (Australian Vaper Vendors Counsel) on the 17th where we will organise memberships, and our first steps for pushing for our rights as vendors. For those vendors that did not join our first meet up but would like to be included, please drop us an email and we will include you with further details on where and when for the AGM. This is a national body, so this is open to everyone.
    Pleski, disley, Vaporific and 1 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Steam-e-cigs View Post
    UPDATE

Afternoon folks, its official! We have our first AGM as AVVC (Australian Vaper Vendors Counsel) on the 17th where we will organise memberships, and our first steps for pushing for our rights as vendors. For those vendors that did not join our first meet up but would like to be included, please drop us an email and we will include you with further details on where and when for the AGM. This is a national body, so this is open to everyone.
    This is good news, theres a lot going on at the moment with the New Nicotine Alliance and better than expected recent NSW Health changes that havent cracked down as hard on individual vapers as we might have feared, some might say fo rward momentum, but its good to see vendors getting involved to have a voice as well. The vendors need support and a voice too. Id hate to have to get my gear from some random guy behind a website in the US,a nd possibly run a customs gauntlet. B&M stores especially stand to face the possible blunt edge of the swinging axe of legislation.

Doesnt surprise me that you got the ball rolling, anyone whos met you knows of your genuine passion for the business, marketplace and especially helping and supporting vapers.

Even vendors need love (and representation) in the debate space.

Good going Max and the other vendors.
    disley and Vaporific like this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Pushing back against the vendor wall, one damn stupid post at a time...

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

AVF Regular
    Just curious, who was representing Cancer Council at the meeting?

(Sorry, to clarify, the initial meeting with the health department). I was wondering whether CC is still using Paul Grogan as their
    mouthpiece, seeing his position was a total ban on vaping tech in Australia).
    Last edited by Pleski; 14-09-15 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Clarification

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleski View Post
    Just curious, who was represented Cancer Council at the meeting?
    They are a vape vendor? News to me!

Edit, sorry, thought you meant at the vendor meet
    Last edited by Altered1; 14-09-15 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Clarify

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

Without specific approval, No one has permission to quote me outside of AVF