• 3 Post By Pleski
  • 3 Post By gtadmin
  • 1 Post By rebelagainstthemachine
  • 1 Post By gtadmin
  • 1 Post By gtadmin

Thread: ASAP science mini video on Cigarettes v Vaping

AVF Regular

ASAP science mini video on Cigarettes v Vaping

Watched this just now, it's an interesting little video, and seems unbiased to me

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus vntosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

AVF Regular
    It's a pretty good video, though Diacetyl in the quantities provided in eliquids is very low, and not really a risk factor for "popcorn lung", which occurs rarely and needs a LOT to be inhaled, like in a factory environment. Diacetyl is also in tobacco.

The PGP irritant thing really only affects a small portion of people, and they can switch to some other base. Really tobacco is a huge irritant, so it's all a matter of perspective. These articles always seem to fail to make adequate comparisons against the base product.
    Fatman, Timm4h and nicoandlaughter like this.

AVF Regular
    This piece is only "unbiased" in a very superficial sense. Let me list what I don't like with it:

1. it suggests that vaping is equally about nicotine and marijuana, while vaping marijuana is at best a margin

2. it grossly overstates harmful effects of propylene glycol but never mentions other options and never states that is has been known for a very long time and its vapours used in hospital wards to decrease infections.

3. it states that there is less smoke in vaping when in fact there is none, vapour is not smoke.

4. it implies that the increase in vaping amongst youth is a looming danger without even trying to find other explanation for the statistic, for example comparing it with the increase in adult population.

5. it claims that second hand vaping exists, when in fact several studies showed that there is no such thing.

6. and last but not least, the catch-cry of the denialists: we don't know enough about it.

For a short piece like this I think it's plenty.

AVF Regular

AVF Regular
    Like EwaZofia said .. unbiased is probably a matter of perspective .. I do like however the mention of marijuana in this video .. I know of a couple people using vaping (without THC) to quit marijuana .. which btw also uses tobacco in most cases .. but has that fact often ignored by the anti smoker lobbyists

To the flavor aspect and risks - well highlighting that is a matter of convenience really isnt it?

Look at McDonalds and Subways and other places where people will hiccup about the number of ingredients in a basic food but never go past that bc its profitable and the players mostly set unlike with vaping - the subject of flavoring is now more politically convenient rather than having anything to do with health - when health is mentioned mostly you can speculate on an agenda - irregardless of whether or no its bad for you

What I didnt like is the focus on nicotine as being addictive - the jury is still out on that one and from what I am seeing personally is that people are finding it easier to drop the nicotine in vaping than drop the analogues - which unscientifically suggests that the 4000 chems in an analogue have more to do with addiction then nicotine does

Sok video - but have seen better

Sorry Timm4h
    ďBut I donít want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you canít help that," said the Cat: "weíre all mad here. Iím mad. Youíre mad."
    "How do you know Iím mad?" said Alice.
    "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldnít have come here.Ē
    Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Comic Database: Steve Hughes... Offended?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHMoDt3nSHs

Super Moderator
    It's the other alkloids in tobacco (commonly called WTA, but also ATOSIT) that are addictive
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular
    I think still not as addictive as analogues with all its additive chemicals .. dropping snus has still been alot easier than analogues and vaping alot easier than both .. pity there are no real studies available on the differences

Quote Originally Posted by gtadmin View Post
    It's the other alkloids in tobacco (commonly called WTA, but also ATOSIT) that are addictive
    gtadmin likes this.
    "Oh, you canít help that," said the Cat: "weíre all mad here. Iím mad. Youíre mad."

Super Moderator
    True. There is a study where they tried to addict rats on liquid nicotine, but they failed to do so. Can't remember the link though ...

Nicotine in cigarettes is in salt form BTW
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular
    I vaguely remember something about the rats .. the nicotine as a salt I hadn't considered but makes sense if you are trying to magnify the effect..

Quote Originally Posted by gtadmin View Post
    True. There is a study where they tried to addict rats on liquid nicotine, but they failed to do so. Can't remember the link though ...

Nicotine in cigarettes is in salt form BTW

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rebelagainstthemachine View Post
    I vaguely remember something about the rats .. the nicotine as a salt I hadn't considered but makes sense if you are trying to magnify the effect..
    Makes it pretty easy to extract too if push comes to shove ...