Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: E-Cigarettes and the Law in Australia - Article

AVF Regular

E-Cigarettes and the Law in Australia - Article

I found this article today and found it an interesting read. It is pretty well balanced as well. It is from Australian Family Physician which is a professional publication for GPs and published by The Royal Australian College of General Practitioner their professional body.

This may have been posted before, if so apologies. Hopefully it will generate some discussion.

RACGP - E-cigarettes and the law in Australia
    Pleski, Yasmin and Altered1 like this.

AussieVapers approved Vendor
    Qld law changed in January, treating vapes as tobacco, can be sold without nicotine but cannot be on display.

My wife always forgives me when she is wrong.

AVF Regular
    Thanks for the update on that one Ozzie. My guess is that this will be a case of moving goal posts generally.

AVF Regular
    I didnt realise someone had been fined for vaping in NSW on a train platform.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by nicoandlaughter View Post
    I didnt realise someone had been fined for vaping in NSW on a train platform.
    The gent in question was Anthony Campo and was observed by a transit officer "smoking" on the platform .. he insisted in court it was an e-cig and presented a cig-a-like to prove his case ... The officer booking him submitted that he was seen smoking AND STAMPING the cigarette out with his foot on the ground when done.

Now maybe that was true maybe it wasnt , but in light of the evidence presented to him the magistrate really had no option but to fine him for SMOKING ( Not Vaping) in a gazetted smoke free area ...

At the time I attempted to contact Mr Campo thru the reporter who initially published his story (who confirmed he passed on my details to him) but he chose to make no reverse contact ... I am of the opinion after the fact that he was trying a shifty to get out of a fine ?

Not too many people I know toss their cig-a-like under foot and give it a grind when about to board a train
    Initial article
    No Cookies | dailytelegraph.com.au

Conviction Article

This is a perfect example of vapers using the same half-truths to back their position ... just like the ANTZ who do the same trying to put their case forward ...

Of course ultimately ONLY Mr Campo and the Transit Officer know the truth ... the fact he did NOT show the Transit Officer the e-cig when approached is a bit suss IMO ... So either he was smoking and tried a dodgy defence , or that transit officer fitted him up ... end result Magistrate on evidence submitted considered him guilty of SMOKING ( not vaping)
    Last edited by Fatman; 30-09-15 at 12:44 PM.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular
    Thanks for that.. it was an interesting read
    Crisscross likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    The gent in question was Anthony Campo and was observed by a transit officer "smoking" on the platform .. he insisted in court it was an e-cig and presented a cig-a-like to prove his case ... The officer booking him submitted that he was seen smoking AND STAMPING the cigarette out with his foot on the ground when done.

Now maybe that was true maybe it wasnt , but in light of the evidence presented to him the magistrate really had no option but to fine him for SMOKING ( Not Vaping) in a gazetted smoke free area ...

At the time I attempted to contact Mr Campo thru the reporter who initially published his story (who confirmed he passed on my details to him) but he chose to make no reverse contact ... I am of the opinion after the fact that he was trying a shifty to get out of a fine ?

Not too many people I know toss their cig-a-like under foot and give it a grind when about to board a train
    Initial article

Conviction Article

This is a perfect example of vapers using the same half-truths to back their position ... just like the ANTZ who do the same trying to put their case forward ...

Of course ultimately ONLY Mr Campo and the Transit Officer know the truth ... the fact he did NOT show the Transit Officer the e-cig when approached is a bit suss IMO ... So either he was smoking and tried a dodgy defence , or that transit officer fitted him up ... end result Magistrate on evidence submitted considered him guilty of SMOKING ( not vaping)
    Oh it makes so much sense now Fatman! Lol

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk
    Bobthebuilder likes this.

AVF Regular
    Strictly speaking you can't be fined. The offical statement from the Department of Health is that vaping is not covered under the Smoke Free Zone laws and ergo is allowed with one caveat - that individual organisations, sites or premises can make their own rules up as far as permitting it. Hence I have no idea what the transit rules are or even if they have the authority to fine anyone but given that info they may well be able to. Personally I don't push the rules and treat vaping like smoking when I'm out unless it is expressly permitted.

Super Moderator
    Mr Rooster lol ... he wasn't fined for Vaping , he was fined for Smoking , as the evidence submitted to the court was enough to convince the magistrate it was a cigarette he was smoking and that he wasn't vaping ... i.e. the testimony that he ground it out with his foot ( and the fact he didn't even attempt to show the transit officer his cig-a-like or explain that was what he was doing) The first time a cig-a-like was mentioned was at his court case 6 months later for not paying the fine he received in the mail after the Officer initially told him he would probably only get a warning .

So this oft repeated " Vaper fined for Vaping on a Train Platform " myth gets trotted out by ANTZ and Vapers alike
    gtadmin likes this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular
    So, in effect, he was fined for NOT vaping on a train platform.

It's ok ... I'll let myself out.

Limelight Freehand S/Custom Classic/StudioVape/PC Wood mods/VR Wood Mods/TMod/Reo/Floris Little Orca squonkers; Axiom hybrid; GP PAPS-X SS and Lux;PAPS Lux; GP Piccolo; Microstick; Gizmo; DRIFT M22; bOd Mecha
    Haku/Origen Little 16/Hadaly/Manta/Stumpy/Nectar/Derringer, Herons, Spheroids, Eviva, Sophias/SnP, MiniAtty, KFL+, Dripper Pro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast