Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: The U.K. Beginning to get a Concensus on eCigarettes

AVF Regular

The U.K. Beginning to get a Concensus on eCigarettes

So good to see the progress in the UK which appears slow and steady but metered with facts and data supporting decisions. They might not be getting it 100% right but at least it's moving forward positively.

One has to ask why are we not doing the same. In fact it's embarrassing by comparison.

https://publichealthmatters.blog.gov...alth-response/
    Pleski and bugzme like this.

AVF Regular
    Australia has a few media savvy bureaucrats who have convinced govt and orgs that the country is a world leader in harassing smokers. They do not want vaping interfering with their master plan. That's the only reason I can see.

Thank god for the UK vaping findings which offer hope to us all. But it will be interesting to see what happens in the UK when the euro TPD comes in. It may be a tragedy.
    nicoandlaughter likes this.

AVF Regular
    True. But then the UK while part of the EU can still adopt its own legislation and appear to be doing so. Additionally decisions made by the UK have a bit of weight here in Australia as well as the same political system. Certainly interesting times ahead.

There is certainly some pretty significant statistics in that statement that should carry a lot of weight.

Have you seen the eCigarettes fact sheet from the Euro TPD? Seems they are more interested in regulating the rate of delivery and are concerned about the strength of eliquid and the attraction of ecigs to children based on flavours. The latter being interesting as it could be regulated to prevent it in a positive way. I'd hate it to end up being flavourless or only specific ones

http://ec.europa.eu/health/tobacco/d...arettes_en.pdf

AVF Regular
    I don't know anyone who has the money or know-how to create an ecig that ensures consistent nicotine delivery with each puff, except pharma and big tobacco.

Still, it's pretty much guaranteed to be something awful and expensive, like an inhaler. Really misses the point.
    nicoandlaughter likes this.

AVF Regular
    It would be like anything drug related - testing to secure an average. This really refers to pre-made ecigs that look like cigarettes. That you could put in a range with some degree of accuracy. Mods, tanks and drippers I think are another ball game beyond the scope of the target in that fact sheet. But then that misses the point as well.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleski View Post
    I don't know anyone who has the money or know-how to create an ecig that ensures consistent nicotine delivery with each puff, except pharma and big tobacco.
    Standardisation of the ecig device is the pinnacle of misunderstanding by those who want to regulate ecigs.

What makes ecigs work is their ability to be customised. Variable voltage, wattage, temperature, airflow, juice flow, VG/PG, nicotine content, flavour - extending to variability between products such as the shape and size (or more accurately "feel") of the device, and even the colour of it.

Every smoker smokes their cigarette different, and the more variability there is, the more chance a smoker will find the right one that will keep them off the smokes.

So when regulators and public healthers say they want every puff to be regulated, or when they literally whine about the vast range of ecigs and demand for less variability, they are essentially conveying that they have no friggen clue about what they are talking about.
    Noe and nicoandlaughter like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleVapes View Post
    Standardisation of the ecig device is the pinnacle of misunderstanding by those who want to regulate ecigs.

What makes ecigs work is their ability to be customised. Variable voltage, wattage, temperature, airflow, juice flow, VG/PG, nicotine content, flavour - extending to variability between products such as the shape and size (or more accurately "feel") of the device, and even the colour of it.

Every smoker smokes their cigarette different, and the more variability there is, the more chance a smoker will find the right one that will keep them off the smokes.

So when regulators and public healthers say they want every puff to be regulated, or when they literally whine about the vast range of ecigs and demand for less variability, they are essentially conveying that they have no friggen clue about what they are talking about.
    Bang on the strength of vaping is their variabilty. And the fact that they are fun. Anything that is regulated will lose that.

AVF Regular
    I sympathise with the idea of regulation. I also want safer ejuice and devices. But my idea of acceptable regulation is very different to what public health wants.

I'm in Myanmar right now, and some of the crap eliquid in shops, which they're calling "smoke oil", is really shocking. I wouldn't want anyone to start vaping with the stuff I've seen...

AVF Regular
    Last edited by bugzme; 28-09-15 at 02:36 AM.
    RichoVonBlack likes this.

AVF Regular
    Senedd.tv - Live - Health and Social Care Committee - 01/10/2015 Uk Regulation, legislation debate

Live now
    Noe and RichoVonBlack like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast