Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Vaporific
  • 6 Post By Northerner

Thread: US Pediatricians Call for E-Cigarette Restrictions

AVF Regular

US Pediatricians Call for E-Cigarette Restrictions

US Pediatricians Call for E-Cigarette Restrictions
    http://health.usnews.com/health-news...e-restrictions
    “But I don’t want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
    "How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
    "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”
    Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Comic Database: Steve Hughes... Offended?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHMoDt3nSHs

AVF Regular
    Huh.. I'm guessing that is intended to counter How does Electronic Cigarette Access affect Adolescent Smoking?

Understanding electronic cigarettes’ effect on tobacco smoking is a central economic and policy issue. This paper examines the causal impact of e-cigarette access on conventional cigarette use by adolescents. Regression analyses consider how state bans on e-cigarette sales to minors influence smoking rates among 12 to 17 year olds. Such bans yield a statistically significant 0.9 percentage point increase in recent smoking in this age group, relative to states without such bans. Results are robust to multiple specifications as well as several falsification and placebo checks. This effect is both consistent with e-cigarette access reducing smoking among minors, and large: banning electronic cigarette sales to minors counteracts 70 percent of the downward pre-trend in teen cigarette smoking in the states that implemented such bans.

Author of eJumica - the eJuice Mixing Calculator.
    eJumica is compatible with Windows, OS X & Linux/Unix.
    Requires the Java plug-in

AVF Regular
    Well atm - In particular in the US - The news is currently filled with with these key topics

Teens smoking vs vaping (what about the children argument)
    Mods blowing up
    Vaping leads to cannabis use (what about the children)
    Chemicals content in ejuice & atomizers

So no surprise that pediatricians have jumped on the bandwagon - In Australia since last year (that I have bothered to look up) the royal Australasian college of physicians (which includes pediatrics) has also raised concerns about vaping - So its not really a one off by the American group

Quote Originally Posted by Vaporific View Post
    Huh.. I'm guessing that is intended to counter How does Electronic Cigarette Access affect Adolescent Smoking?
    “But I don’t want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
    "How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
    "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”
    Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Comic Database: Steve Hughes... Offended?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHMoDt3nSHs

AVF Regular
    Personally I'd much rather my kids had a go at vaping, rather than smoking, if they're feeling rebellious. Then they can just put it down when they're bored of it, rather than having a lifelong debilitating tobacco addiction.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by rebelagainstthemachine View Post
    Teens smoking vs vaping (what about the children argument)
    Mods blowing up
    Vaping leads to cannabis use (what about the children)
    Chemicals content in ejuice & atomizers
    4 valid, but unimportant points. Anyway, let's start with 4 points. We'll see how we go.

Teens already smoke. Take away 1 point.
    Mods blow up from time to time. Cigarettes can cause house fires and, even worse, a single cigarette can cause a massive bushfire. Take away 1 point.
    Vaping might lead to cannabis use, but cannabis is essentially harmless unless we're talking about people with PRE-EXISTING mental illness. Take away 1 point.
    Chemicals in the e-juice. There are hundreds of chemicals in cigarette tar. Take away 1 point.

End result: Zero (0) points.

Good luck trying to win me on that one. Most people with any common sense would laugh at the above points. And cannabis has nothing to do with vaping, unless you want to count drinking alcohol as well LOL.