Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: People must just love scaremongering claptrap

AVF Regular

People must just love scaremongering claptrap

Looking at facebook this morning and Innokin has shared a story about how vaping is pretty much similar to breathing in how it affects your lungs. It's been shared 170 times. Then there's the 3 suggested stories that pop up below a post when you click on it.
    One is another about how vaping is as safe as breathing - 36,316 shares.
    Next one about vaping having no cytotoxic effects on the airways - 310 shares.
    Last one about how e-cigarettes have 10 times more cancer causing chemicals than regular cigarettes - 288,826 shares.

What does this say about people? I find it kind of disturbing and scary that sensationalised, scaremongering claptrap gets so much more attention than positive stories.

AVF Regular
    Hi Kay - Its thee same as all those Peta bullshit articles which prove to be fake. People don't research anymore.. in fact I doubt most people read these articles they just mindlessly click like and share based purely on the article title.

Adam, kay67kay, Dalork and 1 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Courage View Post
    Hi Kay - Its thee same as all those Peta bullshit articles which prove to be fake. People don't research anymore.. in fact I doubt most people read these articles they just mindlessly click like and share based purely on the article title.

Yep, even reporters don't research before reporting things. They just copy and paste any old rubbish from some other reporter who didn't do any research. And the general public seems gullible enough to just swallow it and wallow in it.
    Fatman, TrueNews, Dalork and 1 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Not the claptrap thread i thought it was.

Out.
    Dalork and drifter like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhufish View Post
    Not the claptrap thread i thought it was.

Out.
    LOL. What claptrap were you expecting?

BTW, where in the south west are you?

AVF Regular
    Just north of Mandurah kay

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhufish View Post
    Just north of Mandurah kay
    Ah, I thought you meant the real south west! Now that the freeway goes through, Mandurah is almost just another suburb of Perth. lol.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by kay67kay View Post
    What does this say about people? I find it kind of disturbing and scary that sensationalised, scaremongering claptrap gets so much more attention than positive stories.
    It sounds just like a mate of mine. About a month after I started vaping last year, I told my mate what I was doing & he said I should be careful because they are no better than cigarettes. I explained a few things to him & after a little while he changed his opinion & asked me to send him links to 2 of the online vape shops I had bought off, because he was very interested in trying this.

After a couple of more weeks we were talking on the phone again & I asked him if he had bought anything. He said no because he'd seen some segment on the TV about how harmful e-cigs are. I asked him who it was saying that, & he said a rep from the Cancer Council. When I told him, of course the Cancer Council would be against e-cigs, because if people stopped getting cancer from smoking, they would stop getting as much Govt funding as they do now, he reluctantly agreed with me.

Next time I spoke to him he said he'd heard a professor on the radio saying how bad e-cigs were. Asked who the professor was speaking for & he said the NSW Heath Dept. I basically told him the same as for the Cancer Council. Then I asked my mate if he'd done any online research into the benefits of vaping e-cigs as opposed to smoking cigarettes, & you guessed it. He said no.

I just don't bother trying to educate him on the benefits of vaping any more now. I figure if he's not prepared to do any research & takes what he hears on the media as fact, I'm just wasting my breath.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by drifter View Post
    I just don't bother trying to educate him on the benefits of vaping any more now. I figure if he's not prepared to do any research & takes what he hears on the media as fact, I'm just wasting my breath.
    I had a friend who was the same. She was very dismissive of vaping, and even made fun of me for doing it. My sister also thinks I'm just "going through a phase" and will come to my sense eventually.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance—that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
    — Herbert Spencer
    Cath Mort likes this.

AVF Regular
    In my experience in trying to convert people, I've found that most people dont dismiss vaping because of what they hear on the media.

They simply use what they hear from the media as an excuse not to switch.

We take it for granted, but the reality is that online shopping is a strange and weird place for many people. And the whole ordeal (both physical and mental planning) of the process of buying monthly or yearly vaping stocks is something a lot of smokers arent prepared to integrate into their lives.

That, and the fact that vapourisers look weird, and most smokers are people who dont want to be noticed.

I give out steam-e-cigs cards all the time, but I doubt many actually make their way over to Botany Rd.

The Australian authorities understand all of this. I kind of see the ban on nicotine and the continuous stall on normalising vaping as being the Australian Government's way of culling the computer illiterate smokers.
    Last edited by PurpleVapes; 21-02-16 at 12:13 AM.
    kay67kay likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast