Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: 2016 Federal Budget paper admits a reason other than our health for the tax hike

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

2016 Federal Budget paper admits a reason other than our health for the tax hike

Somewhere in the Budget paper is an admission that part of the reason for the tax hike is the Government's hope that addicted smokers will single handedly push inflation up a full point.

And it's bipartisan policy. I'm not sure where the third party (the Greens ) stand.

The March quarter was deflationary and the pollies are scared. So is the Reserve Bank. That's why it cut interest rates the day before the Budget and plans to again.

Two deflationary quarters = recession.

I can't remember if I learned this in The Guardian, Crikey or New Matilda newspaper: it sure as hell wasn't in the mainstream media.

And that's why I've joined this forum and I'm switching to vaping.

I'm fed up with financing politicians sick surplus fetishes to the cost of my health!

AVF Regular
    welcome

but just so you know, i don't save money. You are better off buying chop chop if it is finances alone for you
    merexy likes this.

AVF Regular
    I've saved buckets of money. But I don't have shiny squonkeritis like you Doggie

AVF Regular
    Sydney (or lurking in the shadows behind you)
    And what's wrong with "squonkeritis" !?!
    I can think of far worse things
    DogMan, merexy and nicoandlaughter like this.

I Do Whatever I Want,
    Whenever I Want,
    And If It Doesn't Suit You,
    Go Start Your Own Empire

Anything I write on this Forum is purely my opinion and should never be read as fact!
    (or I could just be wrong)
    Please read the Forum rules
    (or wait for Johnny Depp to do the movie)
    Small reminder
    It's all about the cigartte ... Stupid

AVF Regular
    I definitely lost money in my first year of vaping, the shinyitis is under control now.

Kinda looking forward to when smokes are $40 a packet, I'll be able to justify spending ridiculous amounts on vape gear I don't really need.
    RichardLOZ, DogMan, merexy and 3 others like this.
    "Go away and come back when you understand better." he said. He would not let me pass.

It's not the money it's the principle and the hypocrisy. The Government charges me exorbitant taxes to prop up an economy that is growing inequality and claims it's for my own good.

But I'm lucky. I've been left some money so I can pay more for vaping. Considering so many smokers are in the lower socioeconomic brackets it's appalling that NRT products including vaping gear are so expensive.

AVF Regular
    Lol a political vaper - *shrugs why not - YOLO yadada

Suggest before going down this path you skim the political & media threads if you havent already - some disturbing stuff happening in Australia and the US pretaining to vaping and other harm reduction like snus

Also regarding your money - if in low economic bracket suggest you buy stuff that is not too high in price and plan ahead in case of medicalisation by pharma or tobbacco, or take over by tobbacco or you will find yourself pretty poor very quickly

Also dunno how long you have been vaping for but if just starting and you are sure its for you - go for it buy more gear - if you havent actually started - buy a kit and try before you spend money on stuff that may or may not suit you

Ask lots of questions here even if they appear silly - some things that appear complicated often have simple answers & visa versa - all of us have been down the new vapor path

Regarding question about greens - a couple of them have been pretty outspoken against vaping - so assume they are on the side of labor where taxes are concerned re: smoking as well - they appear to be jumping around all over the political board atm - losing alot of support along the way

Good luck and I look forward to seeing more of your posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sushisnake View Post
    It's not the money it's the principle and the hypocrisy. The Government charges me exorbitant taxes to prop up an economy that is growing inequality and claims it's for my own good.

But I'm lucky. I've been left some money so I can pay more for vaping. Considering so many smokers are in the lower socioeconomic brackets it's appalling that NRT products including vaping gear are so expensive.
    ďBut I donít want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you canít help that," said the Cat: "weíre all mad here. Iím mad. Youíre mad."
    "How do you know Iím mad?" said Alice.
    "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldnít have come here.Ē
    Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Comic Database: Steve Hughes... Offended?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHMoDt3nSHs

Hi Rebel.

Yep. I'm a political animal. I drive my conservative family nuts especially at the moment. I keep squacking "Jobs and growth!" in a parrot voice and I have no talent for funny voices at all.

Thanks for the info about the Greens. I like a lot of their social policies but a lot seems ideologically driven instead of being based on sound science, like their attitude to GM foods and now vaping. Economically, they have nothing new to say. "Balance the Budget!". Neoliberals on bicycles with a worm farm out the back.

The last time I tried vaping it was one of the useless flavoured ones without nicotine. It tasted like mould smells.

I'm a heavy smoker, so you can imagine how well that worked. :-(

Champix made me sick as a dog and gave me boils. It's hard to feel good about yourself and your choices when you have painful boils. Patches make me itch to the point of tearing my skin open and nicotine gum just doesn't do it for me: no throat hit and nothing to do with my hands.

I've only just discovered we can import nicotine vaping fluid from overseas. Or at least most of us can. I currently live in Queensland, the one state that won't allow any importation. The state that used to grow the tobacco.

I'm doing a lot of reading now that I've discovered vaping generally and this forum in particular. I just read the thread about the US FDA legislation. I haven't read the legislation but I'm sure it's for the good of Americans health and nothing to do with revenue.

I'm not in a low socioeconomic bracket now and can afford to give vaping a go.

AVF Regular
    ^^..theres no problem getting yr nic into Qld. Maybe in the future but right now, no.

Quote Originally Posted by Stomp View Post
    ^^..theres no problem getting yr nic into Qld. Maybe in the future but right now, no.
    Good to know. Really good to know. Thanks Stomp.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast