Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: It started with an email

AVF Regular

It started with an email

With the fed election looming I wanted to know the opinion of our local member. I have voted for him for a while now and indicated that it was important to me amongst other stuff.
    And so I asked "what is your (and party) position on E-Cigarettes, Vaping?"

Didn't hear anything back for a couple of days, to be honest I expected a non committal email. But no, he rang me just before and was very keen to know more. Well I spoke to him about my smoking past and how vaping has "saved" me from the perils and cost of smoking. I also went into how nicotine helps my colitis. I mentioned what is happening in the UK and US and that I was concerned about what path Australia may take.

He really didn't know much about it other than the politician who vaped in parliament a while back. He showed interest in the health benefits, I mentioned the RCP report recently released. He commented about his concerns for health and the increase in Tobacco tax and what may come of that and I think he genuinely showed interest in vaping as an alternative.

It was all very promising. He asked for me to email him back and ask for the email to be passed to him personally (because he said to) as he wants to know more. I suggested I could include a link to the RCP report as well, give him a basic induction to what vaping is. I will also detail out my story of smoking to vaping with colitis as well. He also suggested that he will pass it on to the Health Minister, he is a Minister himself, well at least for now.

So while this all sounds promising I start to worry (anxiety sufferer here) that it will go belly up and I will end up with cops on my doorstep warrant in hand asking for my nic et'al.

I know some will say to let it go as we don't want publicity brought to vaping, leave it as it is, it works at the moment, even though we mostly all break the law. And I totally get that stand point, one that I have had myself. But with all what is going on mostly overseas I don't know that flying under the radar will cut it for much longer.

Should I respond?
    Last cigarette, 11:00 AM 11th March 2015.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    It's great they've shown such a positive interest. It might be handy looking up the extract laws for your state. I know in WA it is completely legal to personally purchase and import three months supply of nicotine.
    That's my little input anyway the more people in power that support it the better for everyone imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    shaneo and Cams like this.

AVF Regular
    I think so. Better to get in with the local pollies now, before it all gets overly politicised here.
    shaneo and Cams like this.

AVF Regular
    PS. Also if the cops knocked on your door and carted you off to gaol, you'd be like the Nelson Mandela of vaping. We'd crowd-fund the crap out of your legal expenses, and The Project would be all over it
    Fatman, BatDan, shaneo and 1 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Cams View Post
    With the fed election looming I wanted to know the opinion of our local member. I have voted for him for a while now and indicated that it was important to me amongst other stuff.
    And so I asked "what is your (and party) position on E-Cigarettes, Vaping?"

Didn't hear anything back for a couple of days, to be honest I expected a non committal email. But no, he rang me just before and was very keen to know more. Well I spoke to him about my smoking past and how vaping has "saved" me from the perils and cost of smoking. I also went into how nicotine helps my colitis. I mentioned what is happening in the UK and US and that I was concerned about what path Australia may take.

He really didn't know much about it other than the politician who vaped in parliament a while back. He showed interest in the health benefits, I mentioned the RCP report recently released. He commented about his concerns for health and the increase in Tobacco tax and what may come of that and I think he genuinely showed interest in vaping as an alternative.

It was all very promising. He asked for me to email him back and ask for the email to be passed to him personally (because he said to) as he wants to know more. I suggested I could include a link to the RCP report as well, give him a basic induction to what vaping is. I will also detail out my story of smoking to vaping with colitis as well. He also suggested that he will pass it on to the Health Minister, he is a Minister himself, well at least for now.

So while this all sounds promising I start to worry (anxiety sufferer here) that it will go belly up and I will end up with cops on my doorstep warrant in hand asking for my nic et'al.

I know some will say to let it go as we don't want publicity brought to vaping, leave it as it is, it works at the moment, even though we mostly all break the law. And I totally get that stand point, one that I have had myself. But with all what is going on mostly overseas I don't know that flying under the radar will cut it for much longer.

Should I respond?
    I'd say yes. I think you're actually right, if we just stay completely quiet then we may just deserve what they hand to us.

I just can't believe that the Sydney Film Festival is not running "A Billion Lives" and it seems ridiculous that politicians who may very soon be asked to vote on changes to legislation have no idea what it is or how it works, more to the point how well it works.

It's up to you of course. I think it's highly unlikely that you'd see any home invasion type tactics result from this - you'd have to make a real nuisance of yourself or act like a looney so they'd be forced to do something. Just talk in general terms when it comes to nicotine, and if pressed just show how most vapers reduce their nicotine intake over time because vaping is not as addictive. Make sure it comes across as the positive outcome which vaping is.
    Cams and 1ynne like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by kbizzle View Post
    It's great they've shown such a positive interest. It might be handy looking up the extract laws for your state. I know in WA it is completely legal to personally purchase and import three months supply of nicotine.
    That's my little input anyway the more people in power that support it the better for everyone imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's legal with a prescription, like most states. I actually asked my GP a while back and whilst he understood the benefits for me to vape there was no way he was writing one up for me.

AVF Regular
    Id go for it bro

Think of it like this, them politicians are like little kids.
    You can give them all the text books of information in the world and they still wont learn a thing.
    However if you sit down explain the information and put your own experience on it like a teacher, they might grow up not to be retards.

Edit: if all else fails try finger painting
    fabricator4 and shaneo like this.

AVF Regular
    Are we in the same electorate Cams? I would be happy to write my story for you to send to him if you're worried. But mine is less impressive than yours coz I don't have colitis and I've been Vaping for only 3 months.
    shaneo likes this.

AVF Regular
    For sure email him back.

Getting a dialog going is the most important thing.

No need to tell him about your vaping stash just mention that it's hard to get nicotine and you don't want to end up on the wrong side of the law just for getting off the smokes.

The more people from your area that bring this up the better, maybe mention what seat he holds and see if others wish to tell their story.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    I'd say yes. I think you're actually right, if we just stay completely quiet then we may just deserve what they hand to us.

I just can't believe that the Sydney Film Festival is not running "A Billion Lives" and it seems ridiculous that politicians who may very soon be asked to vote on changes to legislation have no idea what it is or how it works, more to the point how well it works.

It's up to you of course. I think it's highly unlikely that you'd see any home invasion type tactics result from this - you'd have to make a real nuisance of yourself or act like a looney so they'd be forced to do something. Just talk in general terms when it comes to nicotine, and if pressed just show how most vapers reduce their nicotine intake over time because vaping is not as addictive. Make sure it comes across as the positive outcome which vaping is.
    If I can get just even one politician on our side (a big one) it has to be good. Fortunately I can write a good email though it may take a while, I want to be certain it is purposeful and polite.

TBH I never did intend for it to go this path, I just asked their viewpoint

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast