Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: ABC Radio National news segment on ecig/research etc

AVF Regular

ABC Radio National news segment on ecig/research etc

Heard a reasonably balanced news segment on vaping.. health concerns, etc. The researchers were cautious saying it was still an unknown regarding health outcomes...Basically the segment wasn't wholly damning and even Simon Chapman wasn't as bad as I thought he'd be.. Unfortunately I can't remember more detail. You might be able to hear an MP3 of it in a few days
    The World Today - News & Current Affairs Radio

AVF Regular
    I heard a similar thing on triple J earlier today;

one thing stuck with me - "it's not proven that e-cigs help with quitting tobacco cigs".

I think most of us can prove exactly that!
    merexy likes this.

Dicodes Dani Extreme - VS VaporFlask - Koopor Mini - Walking Stick Tube
    Eleaf Lemo II - VLS Vulcan & VLS Vector - Kangertech Sub Mini RTA

AVF Regular
    Edit: report I link here is from 15th April, not 15th May. Doh!

Triple J may have run the same report. It had me growling (or yelling expletives at the lies) most of the way through. I think this is it:
    http://mpegmedia.abc.net.au/news/aud...2-vaperisk.mp3

Basically taking a heap of stuff out of context to imply that passive vaping (they say "passive smoking" in the report) is very dangerous. I wasn't that pleased and didn't find it truthful the way it was edited and presented.

Chimpman does seem to mellowing ever so slightly, but he still wants it regulated along the lines of the current FDA regs which are going to set vaping back years no matter what the legal outcomes of the challenges are.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 16-05-16 at 02:41 PM.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Chimpy today

E-cigarettes: too important to be regulated?

https://theconversation.com/e-cigare...ated-50579#_=_

I would be weary of any talk of him mellowing - all signs from him point to the medical model
    ďBut I donít want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you canít help that," said the Cat: "weíre all mad here. Iím mad. Youíre mad."
    "How do you know Iím mad?" said Alice.
    "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldnít have come here.Ē
    Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Comic Database: Steve Hughes... Offended?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHMoDt3nSHs

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by rebelagainstthemachine View Post
    Chimpy today

E-cigarettes: too important to be regulated?

https://theconversation.com/e-cigare...ated-50579#_=_

I would be weary of any talk of him mellowing - all signs from him point to the medical model
    I know from previous experience from posting on The Conversaion (where they often say they'll leave comments open for x days/x hours and then cut them off anyway, and where Simon routinely deletes comments that question his message), that this probably wont last long, but i posted it anyways. Its more of a general comment than addressing his posted speil, because i find reading them maddening

No question he wants to try and hand this over to his mates in pharma. Hopefully the alternate catches some traction...

Simon, when will you stop being the only baying denier in this country, and admit maybe, that you maybe have taken a stance thats extremely shortsighted at best, and woefully misleading and dismissive at worst. When the overwhelming evidence leaves you looking at though your only answer to nicotine addiction is "quit or die", then perhaps you need to re-evaluate your stance and revisit the debate, with a sense of humanity, and with peoples health foremost in your mind.

Electronic cigarettes were the only thing that allowed me to quit smoking after 35 years, am i fictitious too.? I stopped smoking literally the moment i started vaping, never "dual used" and only know of a handful of people who have in my 14 months since quitting smoking who have. This skewes all your assertions that people are "still smoking as well as vaping", for the simple reason, a big motivator in switching to vaping, apart from the harm reduction and continued health outcomes (my GP and the Profesor of Cardiology are supportive of my switch to vaping, ill sned you their latest letters if you like) is the cost. So i dont know many people who are forking out for vaping gear AND continuing to buy cigarettes. It just doesnt track logically...and i havent seen it personally.

Your statistics are almost without exception quoted from the one slanted anti side of the debate, and often wholly debunked, even by the people you quote on the reality based side of the debate, like the Royal College of Physicians. You cant have it both ways, via cherry picking to support your view.

Please reassess your viewpoint and dont be the man who lets people continue to die just so you can have a sense that you are right. Whats more important to you, peoples actual health, or being right? I geuss we'll find out.

You have a position that gives you unfettered access to government etc (i personally cant get 5 minutes with a health minister - ive tried - twice), and with this position comes a certain responsibility, not least of which is not to mislead and misinform. You claim to advise on the basis of public health, the public in this case are telling you, backed by peer reviewed study (backed by other peer reviewed data) that youre wrong.

Reassessing your view in the face of new data is the responsibility of anyone who claims to use science to determine and inform a debate. The science behind this debate keeps suggesting your wrong, and badly wrong. Admitting you may need to reassess your stance would be a welcome and honourable thing to do.

Those who smoke, and those who have quit deserve better from you, a man who will gladly, it seems, sentence them to a slow death just to be seen to be right.

Unneccesary death, i wouldnt have thought anyone in public health would ever suggest that over a clear alternative.
    Edit: Yup, already been removed, that was a record 10 minutes i was in The Conversation

Not at all one sided....

Reposting now (twice)
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 16-05-16 at 08:29 PM.
    fabricator4 and Yuz78 like this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Pushing back against the vendor wall, one damn stupid post at a time...

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by stylemessiah View Post
    I know from previous experience from posting on The Conversaion (where they often say they'll leave comments open for x days/x hours and then cut them off anyway, and where Simon routinely deletes comments that question his message), that this probably wont last long, but i posted it anyways. Its more of a general comment than addressing his posted speil, because i find reading them maddening

No question he wants to try and hand this over to his mates in pharma. Hopefully the alternate catches some traction...

Edit: Yup, already been removed, that was a record 10 minutes i was in The Conversation

Not at all one sided....

Reposting now (twice)
    Looks like you've got a stalker on there style.........

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by laurie9300 View Post
    Looks like you've got a stalker on there style.........
    Not only that but Simons actually responded without removing my post

/me just fell off his chair

Edit: also responded to my ill informed stalker

Ive got 47 twitter followers and one The Conversation troll.....weighing things up....... im all good

Its just nice to know someone cares.....
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 16-05-16 at 11:50 PM.
    fabricator4 likes this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Handy shopping links:

Super Moderator
    Just on his assertion that we're claiming these are cessation devices and so they should be treated as such ... we are consumers, not the manufacturers. If a consumer claims that a vitamin (any vitamin) has medical benefits, does that mean the TGA will immediately deem them as medical products and subject them to rigorous regulations ... because a consumer claimed it?
    Fatman likes this.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular
    Point to gtadmin?

Manwhile should i, you know, stop licking this crystal now, nothing has grown an inch in 3 years
    Fatman and fabricator4 like this.

Handy shopping links:

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by stylemessiah View Post
    Point to gtadmin?

Manwhile should i, you know, stop licking this crystal now, nothing has grown an inch in 3 years
    You see Adrian, then it's my fault if I make any sort of comments to your provocative posts.....
    I will be travelling in time, please leave a message and I will get back to you last week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast