Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Prepping

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Prepping

Since I bought a second hand freezer and 4 years supply of Nic and Amber glass bottles with polycone caps I can't stop thinking about preparing for when if nicotine one day may not be so easily and cheaply available in Australia.

How I can better pack them and how much more should I order of nicotine. I'm now starting to think 10 years supply at least is required.

These pharmaceutical Amber glass bottle with polycone caps won't get out of my head. How to label them, what strength to dilute to. How long each bottle with last. What sort of rack to put the bottles in.

Am I the only one this looney.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    muscovyduckling likes this.

Juice :
    18 mg Nic Premium Euro (Vaperstek) / Capella Custard V2 6% single flavour - (Juicefactory) / 70VG 30PG (Wick & Wire)

Hardware : (All Vapoureyes)
    Kanger Mini Bottom Fill Tank - Silver / 0.5 ohm OCC vertical kanthal coils / IPV-D3 Silver / LG HG2 18650 3000mAh 20A / LUC V2 Dual Bay Smart Charger

AVF Regular
    As previosly discussed, the best way is small glass bottles, filled to the top to minimise the amount of air left in the bottle. I don't see any advantage to the cone caps over the normal ones for long term storage. The cone caps are simply better for bottles you have in frequent use because the disc seal comes out of the other ones easily when you use them a lot, and liquid seeps around edges while it is off and contaminates the back of the seal (which is probably what makes them come out of the cap eventually).

Have a few cone caps for bottles in current use if you wish.

There's no advantage in diluting before storage, and in fact I think it's best not too. The amount of oxygen left in the bottle will over a long period react with the nicotine. That means there would be same amount of damaged nicotine per bottle regardless of the concentration, which means diluting it would require more bottles and more damaged nicotine. Diluting at time of using them will minimise the oxidation.

For storage, if there are young people in the house store the bottles in a lockable box, or put a lock on the freezer. Apart from that plastic boxes with the bottles packed between bubblewrap are fine. Ordinary self adhesive paper labels work fine in the freezer and do not come off. All DIY bottles of any type should be labelled with the contents, the nicotine strength, the PG/VG ratio, and the date it was bottled.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Bulk storage was all the rage a few years ago when people were more worried. For what its worth the general consensus was that PG was better than VG for long term storage.
    The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism - Norman Vincent Peale

AVF Regular
    Indeed. PG has a much longer shelf life than VG.

Also - don't worry about storing... err... "untainted" PG or VG. It is easy to buy fresh and should remain easily available, as they both have many uses other than ours. Same goes for artificial flavourings (which only have a shelf life of about 2 years max anyway).

Undiluted, unflavoured, and in 100% PG base is the best way to store.

Already covered - small dark glass bottles (so you only have to take a small amount out of long term storage at once), as little air in the bottles as possible, as cold as possible (freezer), and as little light as possible (freezer, dark glass, and in a padded lightproof box if the freezer will be opened on a regular basis).

It usually gets asked - Yes, they do make dark coloured plastic bottles, but glass is far better for long term storage as plastics can break down over time, and even when new are still slightly permeable by air.

There are people who have been storing in this manner since the last panic a few years ago. I have it on very good authority that their supplies right now are still as fresh as the day they went in. I also am aware of a "control batch" somebody has that stayed in a dark blue plastic bottle in the fridge, in a clear plastic sandwich bag, that is the same age as the "stored samples" and has showed significant oxidisation. While still good to use, for long term storage you really want to keep things as fresh as possible for as long as possible.

Labels are also a good idea - you want to know what's in the bottle, and when it went in! Sticky labels are great, I'd also suggest adding a layer of clear sticky tape over the top to help the writing stay undamaged over the long term (in case of moisture or ice getting on the outside of the bottles).

And finally - as no thread on this topic should proceed without at least one person mentioning it (even just for the sake of anyone lurking) - don't touch "99% pure" nicotine. Ever. That stuff is 999mg/ml, and quite lethal. Even if you have experience with dangerous substances and accept the risks, the people transporting the package do not - and accidents can happen.
    nicoandlaughter likes this.
    These things.

I have some things.
    I vape them.

AVF Regular
    Best supplier for bottles please? Was looking at Pack my product last night and came across 100ml bottles with a standard cap for 90 cents or so each.

Looking on Pack my Product again, unsure about cone or standard cap, amber seems to be most used but liking the blue.
    Last edited by Cams; 18-05-16 at 11:24 AM.
    Last cigarette, 11:00 AM 11th March 2015.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    I can't wait until my bottles arrive. I ended up going 100ml which I will store at 100mg. Every time I do my custard mix which lasts me about 2 months I go through almost 70mls of 100mg Nic so 50ml bottles a little on the small side. I mix up 6 X 60 ml plastic bottles at 18mg strength. Each bottle last be just under 10 days vaping.

I ordered in 1 Ltr @ 200mg strength and was almost going to bottle that way.

Decided against as I have a litre of PG ready to dilute it down and don't want to be working with 200mg regularly.

We work with hazardous substance at work - Hydrofluoric which 1 drop will eat your bones and stop your heart and radioactive Iridium 192 which is also very nasty. Tends to kill you or burn a hand off if you touch it.

I'm amazed something as dangerous as pure nicotine is so readily available.

I wouldn't be against gov restricting postage strengths to 100 or 200mg with standard in place for safe methods of packaging.

Any which way looks we are still very lucky in Australia to be able to order in theses sorts of quantities and strengths compared to how things have gone other places in the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MCYL likes this.

Juice :
    18 mg Nic Premium Euro (Vaperstek) / Capella Custard V2 6% single flavour - (Juicefactory) / 70VG 30PG (Wick & Wire)

Hardware : (All Vapoureyes)
    Kanger Mini Bottom Fill Tank - Silver / 0.5 ohm OCC vertical kanthal coils / IPV-D3 Silver / LG HG2 18650 3000mAh 20A / LUC V2 Dual Bay Smart Charger

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Cams View Post
    Best supplier for bottles please? Was looking at Pack my product last night and came across 100ml bottles with a standard cap for 90 cents or so each.

Looking on Pack my Product again, unsure about cone or standard cap, amber seems to be most used but liking the blue.
    I've been happy with pack my product. Normal caps are fine for long term storage. It's the caps you have on and off all the time that will benefit from the cone caps as I said above.

Blue bottles? You won't see them in the freezer. Also amber cuts the higher frequencies (also higher energy). Blue transmits more of the higher frequencies so I'd expect it to not do the job quite as well as amber.

AVF Regular
    What happens if the power goes out? I've been thinking about it like a crazy prepper since last week, and I'm wondering if my whole stash would be ruined if the freezer had no power for a few days (happens regularly out here in the hills)? Do I need a redundancy stash too? Hahah im getting really crazy here

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by muscovyduckling View Post
    What happens if the power goes out? I've been thinking about it like a crazy prepper since last week, and I'm wondering if my whole stash would be ruined if the freezer had no power for a few days (happens regularly out here in the hills)? Do I need a redundancy stash too? Hahah im getting really crazy here
    It will last two years easy in PG with no refrigeration. Unless the Vapocalypse turns into Armageddon you should be fine ;-)

Armageddon? Ar'ma gedd'in ouda here!
    muscovyduckling likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Cams View Post

I got some here Amber Boston Round Glass Bottles - New Directions

Current Mods = Joytech Cuboid 200w , eVic-VTC Mini 75w , Istick 120W and 40w , Wismec Reuleaux RX200S
    Current Tanks = Joytech Cubis , Smok TFV4 Mini , Smok TF-RTA G2 , S-body Astral Tank , Uwell Crown , Wotofo Serpent RTA , Geekvape Griffin RTA , Geekvape Griffin 25 RTA , Geekvape Tsunami RDA , Geekvape Avocado RDTA and Velocity v2 RDA clone

currently vaping 10mg Home Brewed E-juice

Jason Richards

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast