Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fabricator4

Thread: Big Tobacco and the TGA

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Big Tobacco and the TGA

I don't think this has been previously posted so I thought I'd share. Its pretty interesting stuff.

Last November I read an article that British American Tobacco had taken the Australian TGA to court because they attempted to register their Voke E-Cig and it was rejected without consultation.

I wondered how this had progressed so went searching and it appears BAT won their court case against the TGA.

Federal Court forces drug regulator to consider nicotine inhaler case | smh.com.au

This verdict will allow BAT and their Voke product to be eligible for consideration as a medical product (unless the TGA appeal) like they have already achieved in the U.K. We can presume the TGA requirements will be no different to the MHRA so they shouldnt get knocked back.

I think we can expect to see some changes coming very soon now as this verdict sets a precedent and E-Cigs will be able to go through the expensive TGA process. So we are likely to see E-Cigs available in this format unless the government step in and decide to regulate Ecigs and Nicotine Refills as a tobacco product (US) or a consumer product under the TPD (EU) with associated restrictions. Either way I think its getting to that time where the government will be forced to make a decision and the current status quo will change.

I suppose it will be Ironic if the only E-Cig on the market in Australia will be a 'medicinal' aid manufactured by Big Tobacco.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by leonardo View Post

I suppose it will be Ironic if the only E-Cig on the market in Australia will be a 'medicinal' aid manufactured by Big Tobacco.
    Yeah. Then just imagine what other addictive crap they will put in their "medicinal aid" to keep people hooked and get away with it.

The whole thing is a massive bloody joke!

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by leonardo View Post
    Well it's what we are all afraid of. Worse case scenario is if they use this as an excuse to prohibit nicotine import, then all we are left with is BAT. Best case scenario is the BAT product "normalises" vaping to the extent that it's recognised as a valid smoking cessation method, and they leave us alone or even allow liquids with nicotine to be sold freely as they currently do with NRT products.

I note that they only allowed NRT to be freely sold after they'd been a prescription only product for many years. Also, my only half successful attempt to quit with NRT was after it became freely available - I did eventually relapse, obviously.
    merexy likes this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.