Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By gtadmin

Thread: A small news drop

AVF Regular

A small news drop

NZ

John Roughan: To vape or not to vape, that's the question

John Roughan: To vape or not to vape, that's the question - National - NZ Herald News

NZ dr
    ‘Nicotine is not a demon, vaping is much less harmful than smoking’

A south Auckland GP and “vaper” wants medical colleagues to upskill on electronic cigarettes and lobby politicians to ease restrictions on the products.

All doctors are stakeholders in tobacco control and smoking cessation, and should be looking at the New Zealand policy, says Murray Winiata of Mangere Family Doctors.

The only doctor member of the newly formed Aotearoa Vapers Community Advocacy, Dr Winiata has given talks to GPs on electronic cigarettes and would like to do more of these. The advocacy group asserts a right to purchase e-cigarettes and nicotine-containing e-liquids (to vaporise in e-cig cartridges), and to vape in public.

GP Murray Winiata at the premiere of A Billion Lives, a documentary about e-cigarettes [Photo: Adelle Photography]Dr Winiata says nicotine, while addictive, is not a carcinogen. “It is not a demon as some will portray it”, and users of nicotine replacement therapy do not have to wean themselves off it over time. “My profession and [the] tobacco control [sector] have got it wrong in the past.”

A divided community

Julian Crane, an asthma, respiratory disease, allergies and smoking cessation expert and director of the Wellington Asthma Research Group at the University of Otago, says e-cigarettes have divided the country’s public health and tobacco control community.

People are trying to find a middle way between seeing vaping as a gamechanger set to reduce smoking prevalence, and as a new, unknown and uncontrolled harm, Professor Crane says.

He expects vaping will turn out to be much less harmful than tobacco smoking, and a gamechanger for a hard core of smokers who have trouble quitting.

But he fears major downsides as big tobacco companies start to buy up the industry, with the ability to promote the products for lifetime enjoyment rather than for smoking cessation. This will have a “wealth effect” more than a health effect, he says.

“Naysayers in public health quite rightly point out it will become normalised.”

Nicotine is ‘another caffeine’

For Dr Winiata, nicotine is “another caffeine”. He is a former smoker who abstained for long periods but still binge-smoked from time to time – until vaping gave him a fun way to quit.

Dr Winiata points to a recent Royal College of Physicians paper, Nicotine without smoke, which says nicotine use, of itself, presents relatively little risk. Most of the harm is attributable to the vehicle of delivery, and tobacco smoke is by far the most hazardous, it states.

Ideally, smokers will quit smoking and all nicotine use, but quitting smoking by long-term substitution with a less hazardous nicotine source is the next best option, the college says.

It recommends regulations to make non-tobacco nicotine more attractive, available and affordable to smokers than cigarettes; to prevent, as far as possible, uptake of nicotine use by never-smokers, particularly children; and to make smoked tobacco products as unappealing as possible.

E-cigarettes are legal in New Zealand, as long as they do not contain nicotine. If e-cigarettes contain tobacco-derived nicotine, they cannot legally be sold here. People can import them for their own use but it’s a process that is too difficult for many, Dr Winiata argues.

A harm reduction tool

He says since the Ministry of Health last revised its position on e-cigarettes, trends in Britain and the RCP analysis mean “we can now be enthusiastic about vaping as a harm reduction tool”.

Restrictions on nicotine should be eased, and tobacco products regulated separately from other nicotine-containing products, he says.

Contaminants inhaled

E-liquids include contaminants that can be harmful, including volatile organic compounds, carbonyls, aldehydes, tobacco-specific nitrosamines (TSNAs) and metal particles, the RCP says.

Again, the comparison with smoking is made: “Although unknown, the hazard to health arising from long-term vapour inhalation is unlikely to exceed 5 per cent of the harm from tobacco smoke.”

Meanwhile, Dr Winiata says his “ABC” brief advice consultations with patients who smoke are much the same as ever. “If a person has not tried nicotine replacement therapy and medications, I talk about those…If they don’t want to quit, or have tried everything, I might say, ‘have you considered this (e-cigarettes)?’”

New Zealand Doctor has asked the Ministry of Health for an update on its stance since the RCP report and since an evidence update last year from Public Health England.

How Will The New FDA Ruling On E-Cigarettes Help Altria?

Forbes Welcome

Study
    Cigarette smoke but not electronic cigarette aerosol activates a stress response in human coronary artery endothelial cells in culture

http://www.drugandalcoholdependence....stract?rss=yes

Counter factual
    Anti-vaping zealots write flat-earth letter to The Times

Anti-vaping zealots write flat-earth letter to The Times « The counterfactual

Should Accusing Vaping as being “Socially Unacceptable”, be Considered “Socially Unacceptable” ?

Should Accusing Vaping as being “Socially Unacceptable”, be Considered “Socially Unacceptable” ? | Vaping Post

Because we think it dangerous to walk blindfolded down a country lane, we suggest you do it on the motorway.”

Advice from Lancashire County Council: Well, not quite… | Vaping Post

End of vaping in Hong Kong? Government plans to ban import and sale of e-cigarettes

End of vaping in Hong Kong? Government plans to ban import and sale of e-cigarettes | South China Morning Post

nice story

Feeling Let Down and Left Behind,
    With Little Hope for Better

In a moment riddled with economic and social worries, an e-cigarette
    shop in Wilkes County, N.C., is an oasis for some young Appalachians
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/26/us...imes&smtyp=cur

PETA fights FDA for Vaping Rights! (makes sense if peeps are needlessly sticking nic into rats testicles to see what happens)

PETA fights FDA for Vaping Rights!

Off topic

Australia (Is it just me that thinks they report vaping dope ok but nic as a nono? wonder why that might be....)

Is ‘cannavaping’ a healthy alternative for medicinal users?

https://ajp.com.au/news/cannavaping-healthy-alternative-medicinal-users/

Australia Just Because You Can Vape Caffeine Doesn't Mean You Should

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/2016/05/31/just-because-you-can-vape-caffeine-doesnt-mean-you-should/

New research from Australia demonstrates that smokers are ignoring graphic warnings on cigarette packs… Well, well! What a surprise!
    Blindness Causes Smoking | Vaping Post

Darwin award of the week via twitter ..

https://twitter.com/AwardsDarwin/sta...84143319883776

Just for fun via twitter

https://twitter.com/TheLadBible/status/738685789199060992
    Last edited by rebelagainstthemachine; 05-06-16 at 12:09 AM.
    “But I don’t want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
    "How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
    "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”
    Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Comic Database: Steve Hughes... Offended?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHMoDt3nSHs

Super Moderator
    Interesting trailer

Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular
    A short article along the same lines

5 Terrible Secrets Big Drug Companies Don't Want You to Know

5 Terrible Secrets Big Drug Companies Don't Want You to Know | Cracked.com

Dr Peter Breggin writes good books on the topic - Also Peter C Gøtzsche is a pretty respected writer in the field

Yup lets consider trusting pharma and the medical proffession with vaping cause it will end soooo well *sighs and slinks off ...

Quote Originally Posted by gtadmin View Post
    Interesting trailer

“But I don’t want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
    "How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
    "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”
    Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Comic Database: Steve Hughes... Offended?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHMoDt3nSHs

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    I watched the entire move now, but half asleep.. what i remember:

In 2013 Pharma spent 226 million US$ on lobbying the USA government with 1445 lobbyists. Congress has only 535 Members, that means pharma spents $422000 per congressman, making sure the US government knew exactly what Pharma wanted..
    Every 19 minutes one dead by overdose with a FDA approved prescription drug in the USA. 2 positive studies needed by Pharma, for the FDA approval of a new drug. If at the same time 48 negativ studies exist, they are ignored. Paying $350000 to the FDA speeds up the approval process, so money flows faster to BigPharma...

I will watch the move later again, when I'm not so tired
    Last edited by tippi771; 08-06-16 at 09:40 AM.