AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

SBS: Trust Us, We Know What's Good For You

Really pissed off with SBS right now.

Yesterday (June 27th) they ran S2E3 of Michael Mosley: Trust Me, I'm A Doctor. This link is SBS on-demand. I've just played it and it's identical in content to the FTA telecast. It expires on 11 July so in light of that, I'll note the SBS synopsis for the record:

Does caffeine really help us to stay alert and what are the alternatives? In this programme some surprising ways to boost our brains are put to the test. Also medical journalist Michael Mosley examines the growing trend for electronic cigarettes and asks if they are safe. Dr Chris van Tulleken investigates if household chores can count as exercise. Dr Saleyha Ahsan gives first-aid tips on how to treat someone suffering from hypothermia and surgeon Gabriel Weston sees life-saving surgery that involves removing all the blood from a patient's body. (Part 3 of 3) (From the UK) (Documentary) (Health/Science) (Rpt) G CC
    Runtime: 49:39 (take note).

Now, let's look at the same piece on the BBC2 iPlayer:
    Synopsis identical word for word.
    Runtime: 1 hour Ding-ding!

So...in order to squeeze in their ads and run to a 1 hour window, SBS, in their infinite wisdom decided a high-risk surgery performed on <1% of the population was more relevant to Australian public health than the e-cig segment, which was absent. In fact, I'll bet that surgery isn't even performed in Australia!
    Makes sense. A last-ditch, near-death corrective surgery vs. proven harm minimisation strategy that has our gutless legislators and their TGA lapdog cowering in the dark corners of ignorance.

By selectively omitting that piece, SBS has confirmed that Australian media agencies have been tainted by Govt bias. Unfortunately for them, the media landscape has changed somewhat since 1990. The information is available online (just not SBS on-demand). Happily, Michael Mosley did a whole episode of BBC Horizon (S55E10) dedicated to e-cigs/vaping.
    Recommended viewing. If you can't find a link to the episode, PM me.

Really looking forward to A Billion Lives too.

AVF Regular
    From (failing) memory, the e-cig segment was missing in the original SBS broadcast too.

But it's worse than that. I happened to just catch the intro to the program on TV last night. Despite the fact the segment was missing, the SBS voice over said something like "... discusses the increasing danger of e-cigarettes ...". Not verbatim, but that was the gist.

Limelight Freehand S/Custom Classic/StudioVape/PC Wood mods/VR Wood Mods/TMod/Reo/Floris Little Orca squonkers; Axiom hybrid; GP PAPS-X SS and Lux;PAPS Lux; GP Piccolo; Microstick; Gizmo; DRIFT M22; bOd Mecha
    Haku/Origen Little 16/Hadaly/Manta/Stumpy/Nectar/Derringer, Herons, Spheroids, Eviva, Sophias/SnP, MiniAtty, KFL+, Dripper Pro

Quote Originally Posted by btobw View Post
    From (failing) memory, the e-cig segment was missing in the original SBS broadcast too.

I've just played it and it's identical in content to the FTA telecast.
    Apologies. Such was my seething anger, I failed to express myself clearly! Just to confirm, the SBS online and FTA telecast were identical (49m 39s) and omitted the e-cig segment.

Quote Originally Posted by btobw View Post
    But it's worse than that. I happened to just catch the intro to the program on TV last night.
    Despite the fact the segment was missing, the SBS voice over said something like "... discusses the increasing danger of e-cigarettes ...". Not verbatim, but that was the gist.
    I missed that but believe you 100%
    Last edited by CycoPablo; 28-06-16 at 05:30 PM. Reason: shit-for-brains

I forgot to mention in OP... the EPG/info screen promised the e-cig content too. That was why I stuck with it.
    Then about halfway thru, I was quoted as saying "Typical. The bit I'm interesting in is right up the arse-end of the show".
    No such luck.

You could suggest complaining to SBS, but the fix is in. These decisions come from above (legal / policy dept).