Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MCYL
  • 1 Post By MCYL

Thread: $400m payment conditioned on hostage release.

AVF Regular

$400m payment conditioned on hostage release.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp....?client=safari

Although my personal stand in the Bali 9 executions was that AU should have never officially petition for their reprieve, once we did, all stops must have been pulled to ensure the executions did not happen. I wonder if leverage akin to this could have been used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AVF Regular
    My stance is if people are to fkn stupid to know about Indonesia's world famous drug laws, they have no one to blame but themselves.
    It sets a bad example if we commit crimes on foreign soil and just cry foul to the government for a bailout.

but as for the link, that 11th hour call turnbull made to the indo pm.
    If turnbull had of offered something so Indonesia can save face im sure an arrangement could of been made.
    But he did nothing but threaten them and at that point their fates were sealed.

AVF Regular

Oh for sure and we shouldn't have made the call seeing our AFP was the source.

As an aside, Turnbull couldn't have done shit. At the time he was the communications minister busy garnering party support for a party room coup the following year.

Before we asked, we should have a decent 2 sided answer ready and waiting. So when it came to petitioning time, it's a case of
    "Australia, wishes this and she will not take no for an answer without consequences"

I too have a feeling that Bishop had something butted out via back channels until Abbott spoke up publicly. Once he did proceed with that line of negotiation however, we couldn't have allowed refusal with only "strong condemnation" in rebuke.

Last edited by MCYL; 19-08-16 at 10:08 AM.
    Hoofprint likes this.

AVF Regular
    ^.^ abbott then is hard to tell them cockroaches apart at times

Super Moderator
    First up ... following U.S.A. protocol in ANY decision is pretty much the downfall of the Western World ... lets not forget in the issue linked above the $400 mill was awarded to Iran by the HAGUE TRIBUNAL dating back to a sale apparently in 1979! ... so they held off payment for 37 years only to demand a condition that suited them at the time of payment ? ( i.e. releasing hostages ) ... Now we might not like some of the Middle East's stances on things , but they have their laws and we have ours ... trouble is we always seem to think theirs don't count and ours do. It kinda ties in with the Aussie/Bali 9 example above ... We KNOW the laws, so if you purposely set out to break them, then you bear the result ... if someone taking drugs to Bali or a country with the death penalty attached to that crime doesnt want to be imprisoned or executed... then DONT TAKE DRUGS THERE!!! Simple ... and if you do, WHY the crap should your government/ home populace bail your dumb arse out?
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular

Agreed there FM. Best course of action would have been simply "their laws, don't break them."
    But once Abbott opened his trap, whether we agreed with it or not we needed to follow through.
    I have no issues with Indonesia's stand on drugs and executions but rather Australian citizens were executed against our explicit will.
    Most definitely a bail out would and should not be in the cards. Perhaps...say diverting aid money towards separatist groups in Aceh and Irian Jaya....
    Would "You kill one of ours and we'll make you kill more of yours" be a little too strong a message?

Last edited by MCYL; 19-08-16 at 12:37 PM.

AVF Regular
    Sydney (or lurking in the shadows behind you)
    The death penalty is at best, the waste of a perfectly good slave.
    It is not a very good deterrent,
    since villains think they can get away with what ever they are up to.

Catching villains is the beat deterrent, but cost money, ie more police.
    So pollies ratchet the penalties up, to bluff us into thinking that will work.

The Bali 9 thing was about the death penalty, not so much them.
    If they knew they had a 99.998% chance of being caught,
    sterilised & set to work building sea walls,
    they never would have done it.

As to Iran's 400m, it was ransom.

I Do Whatever I Want,
    Whenever I Want,
    And If It Doesn't Suit You,
    Go Start Your Own Empire

Anything I write on this Forum is purely my opinion and should never be read as fact!
    (or I could just be wrong)
    Please read the Forum rules
    (or wait for Johnny Depp to do the movie)
    Small reminder
    It's all about the cigartte ... Stupid

Super Moderator
    Problem is tho MC "Against our explicit will" means bugger all when you have a nation enforcing laws that are plainly known to offenders .. it might be Australia's "responsibility" to lobby for those laws to change or to ask for consideration in the matter , but ultimately it is up to the country to decide how to implement them.

I am too much an idealist I guess , but international aid should be granted to a country because you want to assist them , not because you want to enforce your belief system on them ?

I live on a lonely planet where decency still exists and the hope/will for change still sometimes pokes its head up ... this is why I would never make the grade as a pollie lol
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

AVF Regular
    I totally agree with you FM, IMO NOTHING should have been said against it at an official capacity, perhaps condolences to family, further reinforcement for idiots to "smoke that shit before going through customs" /J.
    But words cannot be unsaid, especially from a PM to another head of state. I think it was wrong for him to say it but once it was done it was weak of us not to follow through.

Fatman likes this.

Super Moderator
    A politician going against his word even in the international arena?... I canny imagine such a thing

( but yes a foolish thing to do and you cant take it back once out there)