Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By fabricator4
  • 1 Post By Vaporific
  • 1 Post By rebelagainstthemachine

Thread: When industry-sponsored research is on the nose

AVF Regular

When industry-sponsored research is on the nose

When industry-sponsored research is on the nose (latest Simon Chapman piece)

Author of eJumica - the eJuice Mixing Calculator.
    eJumica is compatible with Windows, OS X & Linux/Unix.
    Requires the Java plug-in

AVF Regular
    He can't be that stupid can he? Get rid all the industry (BP) funded research and his anti vaping research will disappear.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Snort!

"
    * Cambridge University Press is selling this at $A240. The Book Depository has it at $A127.05 with free delivery. "
    Sixth Vape Year and Four Years Sans Durry.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by essiemessy View Post
    Snort!

"
    * Cambridge University Press is selling this at $A240. The Book Depository has it at $A127.05 with free delivery. "
    Well he's "retired" now. The cash stream from BP will dry up soon.
    essiemessy likes this.

AVF Regular
    Sydney (or lurking in the shadows behind you)
    Industry verses Public funded research, we need both.
    Big Pharma is only researching treatments, and we have bugger all public research on cures.
    Our up coming problem with super bugs, needs to be handed to the CSIRO.
    Big Pharma will not do it, because the research will cost to much.
    If the CSIRO does it, they can licence it to BP, (& any thing else we learn along the way).
    (note I said Licence, not sell. Ergo: an on going earner for us)

I Do Whatever I Want,
    Whenever I Want,
    And If It Doesn't Suit You,
    Go Start Your Own Empire

Anything I write on this Forum is purely my opinion and should never be read as fact!
    (or I could just be wrong)
    Please read the Forum rules
    (or wait for Johnny Depp to do the movie)
    Small reminder
    It's all about the cigartte ... Stupid

AVF Regular
    Tough one - Plos one has mixed reviews in the research community and by taking a harm reduction based approach you open up a can of worms about who contols the knowledge - Was already told to becareful of plos one - so if nothing else I will be even more careful of them now

Agree with the commnetor who says that peer review needs to be reviewed - problem is that peer review is also a sticky mess -

Another issue is also that corporates will ditch and not publish results that are contrary to what they want to see the research say

Peer review does not mean that the research is any good - look at the outdated research on nicotine itself for example

I do think we need both - but also that alot more discussion has to happen in the research community into how to best approach reseach and its viability - Think also researchers need to be taught how to have a more open mind and question what they are researching

As it stands it concerns me that the government can offer a grant asking a closed question like whats wrong with vaping then hand the contract to sydney university and the cancer council who are both known to be outspoken on vaping without evidence that it is as harmful as they say - it concerns me also that this research will probably be taken seriously by academics and the fact that both get pharma punding will not be considered an issue

I would also like to see funding ties published clearly for the institutions that do research

Research is a bloody mess
    “But I don’t want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
    "How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
    "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”
    Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Comic Database: Steve Hughes... Offended?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHMoDt3nSHs

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by rebelagainstthemachine View Post
    As it stands it concerns me that the government can offer a grant asking a closed question like whats wrong with vaping then hand the contract to sydney university and the cancer council who are both known to be outspoken on vaping without evidence that it is as harmful as they say - it concerns me also that this research will probably be taken seriously by academics and the fact that both get pharma punding will not be considered an issue

I would also like to see funding ties published clearly for the institutions that do research ..
    There was an FOI request put in for declared COIs & intended ways of addressing those on SC/CC's review of vaping for the DOH (think federal department, not Homer Simpson). It involves 9 attachments. I could forward it to anyone with an interest. Drop an email to andrewthommo at gmail.com..

Author of eJumica - the eJuice Mixing Calculator.
    eJumica is compatible with Windows, OS X & Linux/Unix.
    Requires the Java plug-in

AVF Regular
    Thanks vapor!

It was just an example others might relate to but could have also have been an example on vaccination, poverty or something else

I kinda realised today just how much the cancer council are/might be involved with the TGA / NNA thing today - so dont really think these things matter anymore anyways- any point made is mute

But nice of you to offer am sure someone will take it up

Quote Originally Posted by Vaporific View Post
    There was an FOI request put in for declared COIs & intended ways of addressing those on SC/CC's review of vaping for the DOH (think federal department, not Homer Simpson). It involves 9 attachments. I could forward it to anyone with an interest. Drop an email to andrewthommo at gmail.com..
    Vaporific likes this.
    “But I don’t want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
    "How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
    "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”
    Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Comic Database: Steve Hughes... Offended?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHMoDt3nSHs

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaporific View Post
    There was an FOI request put in for declared COIs & intended ways of addressing those on SC/CC's review of vaping for the DOH (think federal department, not Homer Simpson).
    Thanks for the clarification. I was a bit confused because both are inherently stupid and make unethical decisions that affect others...