AVF Regular

News drop

AU:

Hostility to harm reduction in smoking: expert

https://ajp.com.au/news/nicotine-vap...likely-expert/

AU: Viewpoints: is addiction a disease?

https://theconversation.com/viewpoin...-disease-63113

AU
    Federal Court forces drug regulator to consider nicotine inhaler case (might make sense to Cancer councils recent 'softening' and rushing to make state rules as well as the TGA opening up to nicotine?)

Federal Court forces drug regulator to consider nicotine inhaler case

AU:Nicotine vaping should be legal

Nicotine vaping should be legal

UK pharmacies selling e-cigarettes to minors

https://ajp.com.au/news/uk-pharmacie...rettes-minors/

E-cigarettes can help eliminate smoking in 30 years: Research

E-cigarettes can help eliminate smoking in 30 years: Research - The Financial Express

Majority of US doctors discussing electronic cigarettes with their patients

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0824140047.htm

E-cigarettes: Most teens vape for flavor, not nicotine

E-cigarettes: Most teens vape for flavor, not nicotine - Medical News Today

New Study: Electronic Cigarettes are Safer Than Tobacco Cigarettes

New Study: Electronic Cigarettes are Safer Than Tobacco Cigarettes | Somewhat Reasonable

FDA Stands By Rules for Nicotine-Free E-Cigarettes

FDA Stands By Rules for Nicotine-Free E-Cigarettes | Convenience Store News

NZ study
    E-cigarettes for the management of nicotine addiction (even tho we still have not proved niotine on its own is addictive?)

https://www.dovepress.com/e-cigarett...ed-article-SAR

Teen vaping is not what you think it is, researchers say

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/08/25/teen-vaping-is-not-what-you-think-it-is-researchers-say/

Off topic : Australian cigarettes to cost more; Smokers Down Under filling government coffers with taxes (Or how to rip off people in poverty (most likely to smoke) and justify it )

http://www.ibtimes.com.au/australian-cigarettes-cost-more-smokers-down-under-filling-government-coffers-taxes-1525938
    Last edited by rebelagainstthemachine; 29-08-16 at 12:02 PM.
    bugzme, Cath Mort and 1ynne like this.
    ďBut I donít want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you canít help that," said the Cat: "weíre all mad here. Iím mad. Youíre mad."
    "How do you know Iím mad?" said Alice.
    "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldnít have come here.Ē
    Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Comic Database: Steve Hughes... Offended?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHMoDt3nSHs

AVF Regular
    Some interesting articles. The one about harm minimization is interesting, the reason being harm minimization is the "better alternative" in some scholars opinion for hard drug treatment etc. That being the case why penalize thise who take active steps to reduce the risk to themselves ? IE thise who you vape machines to get off cigarettes?
    As for the SMH article about BAT wanting to introduce there vape machine over the counter and the ensuing court battle. Does this mean BAT are not really concerned about "nicotine being a poison, but more about profit margins".

Personally the sooner the government and the cancer coumcil understand that using a vape as a means to quit cigarettes, the better for everyone.

If the comments above dont make sense, sorry. Im exhausted from shift work and copious amounts of driving ling distances.

AVF Regular
    For me the one about the TGA is the most interesting and telling .. If nothing else at least BAT are asking for over the counter .. unlike the cancer council and TGA themselves who are talking prescriptions and dotors(perhaps also why cancer council so strongly support vaping only through the TGA?)

Interestingly - I have never seen vaping as a way of quitting smoking and I am not alone in this - for many its just switching to something that harms less than smoking until they are ready (if ever) to give up, So I have never understood how people have gotten the idea that vaping is a therapeutic quit smoking device rather than an alternative to smoking 4000 chemicals

Make no mistake - pharma and public health (like CC) who recieve funding etc from pharma gain too financially

Outside of this ... time will tell ...

Quote Originally Posted by SubyXV View Post
    Some interesting articles. The one about harm minimization is interesting, the reason being harm minimization is the "better alternative" in some scholars opinion for hard drug treatment etc. That being the case why penalize thise who take active steps to reduce the risk to themselves ? IE thise who you vape machines to get off cigarettes?
    As for the SMH article about BAT wanting to introduce there vape machine over the counter and the ensuing court battle. Does this mean BAT are not really concerned about "nicotine being a poison, but more about profit margins".

Personally the sooner the government and the cancer coumcil understand that using a vape as a means to quit cigarettes, the better for everyone.

If the comments above dont make sense, sorry. Im exhausted from shift work and copious amounts of driving ling distances.
    Last edited by rebelagainstthemachine; 29-08-16 at 02:07 PM.
    "Oh, you canít help that," said the Cat: "weíre all mad here. Iím mad. Youíre mad."

Super Moderator
    For most people vaping, it's always been about switching ie THR and not quitting, something that irks all the health zealots ... because you know, you're not pure unless you abstain completely
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular
    Actual addiction is a problem once an addict always an addict. I know people who quit cold turkey 20 years ago, they still fight the addiction today, hell my sister inlaw demanded I smoke indoors so she could stick her head in the smoke (stronger than me) I despaired ever giving up.

ie: be on guard all the time because relapse and abstinence violation is always just a stimulus cue away.

Vaping provides me with a way to combat these cues and remain tobacco free.

They can call it what they want just dont take it away coz its back to tobacco when those cues strike if they do.

So I guess in a sense you are correct Rebel

Though while I can vape I call my self an ex smoker
    Smoke free since april 2016

AVF Regular
    Rebel and gt, both well said comments. For me im using vaping as a means to get off the darts. Ive tried other methods and it just didnt work for me. How on earth Chapix/zyban is approved by the TGA when it is linked to mental health issues has me stuffed. Could one not make an inference then that the TGA doesnt accept the known outcomes from these drugs ? Or is the TGA getting rebates from the same pharmaceutical companies ? Yes its a wild claim and the previous comments are my own.

I still thinking vaping is a better option to help you get off the cigs/darts.

Anyway thats enough flapping of my gums for now

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by SubyXV View Post
    Rebel and gt, both well said comments. For me im using vaping as a means to get off the darts. Ive tried other methods and it just didnt work for me. How on earth Chapix/zyban is approved by the TGA when it is linked to mental health issues has me stuffed. Could one not make an inference then that the TGA doesnt accept the known outcomes from these drugs ? Or is the TGA getting rebates from the same pharmaceutical companies ? Yes its a wild claim and the previous comments are my own.

I still thinking vaping is a better option to help you get off the cigs/darts.

Anyway thats enough flapping of my gums for now
    Because they where already approved anti depressants (prob SSRI) prior to someone finding they helped a minority with craving.
    They are both dangerous when prescribed incorrectly. (Doctors handing them out like smarties)
    Smoke free since april 2016

Super Moderator
    Sort of off-topic, but a very interesting article on propaganda. Now, it's more aimed at Alcoholics Anonymous, but it appears to me that those in Tobacco Control have not only read this (or similar), but have memorised it. You only have to look at any of their press releases to realise that.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular
    Sydney (or lurking in the shadows behind you)
    Their is a school of though that believes you never quit smoking,
    & it lurks in the background waiting to reassert it's self.

Life changing events will often trigger this;

• You get divorced - you feel depressed - you start smoking again
    • You win Lotto - you fell bullet proof - you start smoking again
    • You win lotto followed by a quick divorce before She/He finds out - you feel guilty - you start smoking again

It would seem to be linked to strong emotions.

Long term statistical studies will either confirm or deny this,
    but that is twenty years down the track, (if someone starts now).
    Vaping defeats these scenario's, by it's very nature.

But if this school of thought is right,
    it doesn't bode well for the possibilities of eradicating smoking ever.
    Coupled with the fact that 52% of the male population in China & 40% of the rest of the world smoke.
    I have to ask, is the anti smoking sector tilting at wind mills!
    At the same time wasting masses of public money,
    to make 20% of the populations life a misery.

I Do Whatever I Want,
    Whenever I Want,
    And If It Doesn't Suit You,
    Go Start Your Own Empire

Anything I write on this Forum is purely my opinion and should never be read as fact!
    (or I could just be wrong)
    Please read the Forum rules
    (or wait for Johnny Depp to do the movie)
    Small reminder
    It's all about the cigartte ... Stupid

AVF Regular
    Partially correct
    "Reuters identified Chantix (varenicline) in a 4/17/10 report as an antidepressant. Pfizer, which does not identify Chantix as an antidepressant, describes the medication on its website as a "nicotinic receptor partial agonist indicated for use as an aid to smoking cessation treatment."

(according to the article too - 40% of smokers are classified as depressed - so also why the antidepression aspect of the drug might have been quietly deliberatly overlooked)

https://www.lawyersandsettlements.co...-39-14191.html

Zyban on the other hand you are spot on

It was originally marketed as an antdepresant known as Wellbutrin
    History of Zyban | Help To Quit Smoking

Now lets trust the TGA and cancer council to do the right thing by the population shall we? Like not try and medicate healthy minds? and maybe allow over the counter or vendors to sell vaping products? ...

Also GT if you find the proaganda stuff interesting thiink you will also find defintions and danger signs of cults interesting - its not so far removed (just replace the word god with something else ) Essentially the way both cults and proaganda operate - is very similar - All healthy pure people go to heaven and those who dont aspire to that way of thinking will burn - usually with a top down closed minded follow the leader approach attached

Alot of both propoganda and cult techniques cross over to sociology and marketing

Quote Originally Posted by Wombats1 View Post
    Because they where already approved anti depressants (prob SSRI) prior to someone finding they helped a minority with craving.
    They are both dangerous when prescribed incorrectly. (Doctors handing them out like smarties)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast