Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Sydney Trains - Vaping on the platform

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Please Delete

Please Delete
    Last edited by ziggary; 02-11-16 at 08:59 AM.

AVF Regular
    Yeah i wouldnt have done that...draw their attention to it

Having said that ill usually only vape on country or regional platforms or changeover stations like campbelltown on the way to bowral. Theres really no need to vape on city platforms where your trip is usually short, i pretty much never vape on city platforms.

I have only once in 18+ months been approached by transit cops who said that they were informed by Sydney Transport at a meeting that day that they would be treating vaping the same a smoking. This was some months ago, and i knew it was more hopeful than enforceable.

I have had no drama at all other than that, i regularly share a carriage with police on the way to campbelltown who dont bat an eye when i get off at campbelltown and have a toot while i wait for the 12-15 minutes for my connecting train, right at the end of the platform (where i used to smoke). One time at wollongong, again waiting for a train and having just gotten off the bus, and having a few minutes to spare, i tooted at the end of the platform and a nice cop in his 30's walked up and politely told me there was no smoking allowed, but once i explained it wasnt smoke and how it worked, he left saying "ill take your word for it, have a nice afternoon". I was saying to another vaper i met up with recently, i cant get arrested as a vaper....

Noticeable was in both encounters was that the powers that be were polite and seemed to recognise that there was a difference between what i was doing as opposed to smoking, even if they didnt fully understand how it worked.

But the key is to do it AWAY from people, dont be a douche vaping amongst other patrons, and trying to be cool and stand out.

And as always, just because you can do something, doesnt mean you always should.

If i catch anyone vaping in a train, they'll get a taste of my size 9 boots and ill confiscate your gear
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 31-08-16 at 09:31 PM.
    nicoandlaughter and rab like this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Pushing back against the vendor wall, one damn stupid post at a time...

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    It is not the same in Queensland because the smoking laws treat vaping the same as smoking.

On that note new smoking laws come into effect tomorrow meaning it is illegal to vape or smoke within 5 meters of bus stops and various other places including pedestrian malls. Problem is with these new laws they take away a lot of "common sense" vaping spots such as outside of a bus shelters where people don't walk past, open spots in malls and various other places that are now banned and funnel vapers and smokers into busy footpaths.

With these new laws coming into effect I think it is time to fight to vaping removed from the smoking laws and reasonable rules for vaping instead such as "just not indoors" etc. Regardless of wheather vaping is an approved quitting product, the fact remains that most vapers are smokers who've quit and shouldn't be forced into the limited spaces where people still smoke.

I know this was tried in Queensland a few years ago with only about 40 signatures on a petition but the smoking laws and knowledge of the low risks of vaping are a lot different now. The laws in Queensland only allow non nicotine vaping but it might be worth waiting for the outcome of the TGA proposal to re-classify the schedule of nicotine to start such a campaign.

AVF Regular
    The stupid thing is the RMS treat vaping in a car with a young person in the vehicle with you, the same as actually smoking a cigarette. Only the RMS could be so questionable.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by SubyXV View Post
    The stupid thing is the RMS treat vaping in a car with a young person in the vehicle with you, the same as actually smoking a cigarette. Only the RMS could be so questionable.
    There has not been enough research yet on passive vape in enclosed spaces I agree with this one and put it in the same catergory as vaping on a train or bus.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by SubyXV View Post
    Still a valid point, enclosed space + nicotine...
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Handy shopping links:

AVF Regular
    Alot of people dont use nicotine- Should they be bunched up with the nic users (someone had to say it... ) either way am not sure that vaping will or can be easily extracted from smoking laws bc of the entanglement with the World Health Organisation who are saying among other things

Ban 'toxic' e-cigarettes indoors, says WHO - Telegraph

Meanwhile noone bats an eyelid over other stuff like the forced pax vax chlorea vaccines that are supposed to released in Australian airspace very soon

Go figure.....

Quote Originally Posted by stylemessiah View Post
    Still a valid point, enclosed space + nicotine...
    Last edited by rebelagainstthemachine; 01-09-16 at 01:47 AM.
    ďBut I donít want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you canít help that," said the Cat: "weíre all mad here. Iím mad. Youíre mad."
    "How do you know Iím mad?" said Alice.
    "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldnít have come here.Ē
    Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Comic Database: Steve Hughes... Offended?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHMoDt3nSHs

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by rebelagainstthemachine View Post
    Alot of people dont use nicotine- Should they be bunched up with the nic users (someone had to say it... ) either way am not sure that vaping will or can be easily extracted from smoking laws bc of the entanglement with the World Health Organisation who are saying among other things

Ban 'toxic' e-cigarettes indoors, says WHO - Telegraph

Meanwhile noone bats an eyelid over other stuff like the forced pax vax chlorea vaccines that are supposed to released in Australian airspace very soon

Go figure.....
    Let me make it clearer, whether with nicotine or not, introducing vapour or smoke or any airborne chemical into an enclosed space with a child, especially young children who dont have a voice to give their consent is, and should remain, banned.

Just cause daddy/mummy says its not bad isnt good enough for me.

Simples.

And relax, the sky is not falling

https://www.metabunk.org/paxvax-rele...ronment.t2767/
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 01-09-16 at 02:16 AM.

Handy shopping links:

AVF Regular
    Vaper from Melbourne.

I got this reply from Public Transport Victoria when I inquired whether vaping was allowed on the platform or not. I keep a copy on my phone if ever I'm accosted. I usually vape at the end of the platform in an unroofed area and I take care that no one is within 10 meters of myself. Been doing this for over a year and have not had anyone approach me. I guess if the Victorian parliament passes that bill treating vaping like smoking, I'm out of luck.

Dear Mr X

I acknowledge receipt of your feedback regarding the No Smoking legislation for public transport and the use of vaporiser or E cigarette.

I have passed your comments on to the our Legal and Governance department and I am informed that Public Transport Victoria's (PTV) position on this is that the regulation prohibits "smoking" and electronic cigarettes operate by emitting a vapour, not smoke.

PTV's understanding of the public health aspects of traditional cigarettes and electronic cigarettes is that secondary smoke from traditional cigarettes presents a hazard to bystanders whereas electronic cigarettes do not present such a hazard.

PTV suggests that if you need more information regarding electronic cigarettes the Victorian Department of Health website has some useful general information.

Thank you for contacting us with your feedback.

Yours sincerely

Megan Edwards
    Customer Complaints Officer
    Public Transport Victoria
    Ref: 2015/78422
    Fatman and nicoandlaughter like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ziggary View Post
    I sent an enquiry to Sydney Trains asking them if vaping was allowed on the platforms.
    Not interested in vaping in underground stations, or even 'under cover' as all the platforms at Central station are, but would be interested in seeing (and having a copy of) that email. Could you forward it to me - andrewthommo at gmail.com?

Note that as far as Victoria goes, I thought one of the things the Victorian parliament was proposing (the parliamentary debate is imminent) was 'deeming' vaping to be smoking. Therefore if it passes (as looks likely) vaping would be banned wherever smoking is.

Author of eJumica - the eJuice Mixing Calculator.
    eJumica is compatible with Windows, OS X & Linux/Unix.
    Requires the Java plug-in

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast