Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Tobacco Bill debated last night in parliament

AVF Regular

Tobacco Bill debated last night in parliament

I watched for an hour or so. Caught the speech from Fiona Patten. She did Ok but coming from someone who does not vape some things were not perfect.

As for the rest? Well Labor, National and Liberal all support the bill trying to claim the high ground as to who has done more for restricting cigarettes. The worst part is they all sprouted on about "we don't know the long term side effects of vaping and should err on the side of caution" Sounds just like the Cancer Council and I do believe that is exactly where all the dribble came from. Not one is willing to open their eyes and look at current research for themselves. They just accept the outdated (and wrong) research that has been presented by CC as gospel.

As for the Bill, I think it is now going to committee to have some amendments looked at which includes allowing vape shops to continue and be able to give advice, maybe.

But in general, it will pass, I doubt there is anything that can be said that will make these people open their eyes to the truth.
    Last cigarette, 11:00 AM 11th March 2015.

AVF Regular
    Can you give us a summary Cams of what the bill means? I've been unwell and haven't kept up with it.

Super Moderator
    I watched a fair bit of it too and concur Fiona Patten did a, on the whole, good job... but its the little mistakes that will sink it .. like her referring to vapour as "Steam" and being "water" ...she made the analogy that vaping is not smoking because there is no combustion quite well... as in the kettle steaming on your stove does not mean your water is on fire
    Every other speaker is basically spouting Party line of "We Dont Know ... best we play safe and ban it " ( based on advice from quit and the CC)

I am not one billion percent up with all the vagaries of the bill , but the Bill itself is actually to tighten yet again the boundaries of smoking, such as blanket banning smoking where food is eaten etc ( not snacks tho) extending it to include outdoor eateries and areas etc along with a few other tweaks to existing legislation .
    The huge elephant in the room for us tho is that the bill, via an amendment I believe, is for the first time seeking to include vaping as a tobacco product which will then bring vaping into line with current tobacco laws ... as in no vaping in the car , at venues, restaurants within a certain distance of schools etc products cant be displayed commercially , kinda unsure on demonstrating them at places like vape shops ( i think thats in contention in the amendments to the bill ) .... basically a draconian drafting that ignores the Harm Reduction side of vaping and demonises it as smoking... I didnt see it right thru to the end , but got the impression the billl and further amendments will go to a committee meeting and be sorted there.... what I found most disappointing is of the 40 members only 10 or so were there ... why do we pay them again?
    Last edited by Fatman; 02-09-16 at 01:42 PM.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

Super Moderator
    But what else do you expect from the man who banned liquid nicotine?
    Fatman, Cath Mort and stylemessiah like this.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular
    So would push vapers into smoking areas to vape and cop second hand carcinogens?? (Question)
    Smoke free since april 2016

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Wombats1 View Post
    So would push vapers into smoking areas to vape and cop second hand carcinogens?? (Question)
    Yep, absolutely. Sucks...
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Wombats1 View Post
    This is one point i also point to a lot... its crazy and should be used against the bastards....we're trying to improve our health, and you want to force us backwards. Sign up now for a class action lawsuit
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Pushing back against the vendor wall, one damn stupid post at a time...

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

AVF Regular
    The bill will also have a negative effect on peoples opinions of vaping. By classing it the same as smoking people will assume it is as bad as smoking, enough of that going around already and this will just ensure it sticks. So then smokers will believe it is no better and not use vaping to get of the smokes and either, keep smoking, buy NRT products. Win win.
    Last cigarette, 11:00 AM 11th March 2015.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Cams View Post
    The bill will also have a negative effect on peoples opinions of vaping. By classing it the same as smoking people will assume it is as bad as smoking, enough of that going around already and this will just ensure it sticks. So then smokers will believe it is no better and not use vaping to get of the smokes and either, keep smoking, buy NRT products. Win win.
    Really that is to i think a lot of people why the whole regulation/testing stuff overseas is taking place, along with the restriction so far of access to liquid nicotine here, the more unsafe they make it seem, and the more onerous they make it to assemble all the components, the more they hope that people who want to convert will be put off and just go with what to them looks far easier..."**** that, its easier to continue smoking". Look at the 2 people ive helped convert, one is a good friend of a decade, who if i didnt mix stuff for would struggle to do it himself as he feels ordering the stuff from multiple places, and one of them overseas is a lot of faffing about, and the other person sorted it out themselves after an initial juice supply....meanwhile im still mixing juice for my first convert a year later...
    Fatman, Cath Mort and merexy like this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Pushing back against the vendor wall, one damn stupid post at a time...

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

AVF Regular
    It's the yellow peril. No fear Pauline is here......

https://youtu.be/rZru_TywyME

The Vapours dudes.
    Last edited by Smasha; 03-09-16 at 03:45 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast