Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By margyb

Thread: New ACSH publication - Helping Smokers Quit:The Science Behind Tobacco Harm Reduction

AVF Regular

New ACSH publication - Helping Smokers Quit:The Science Behind Tobacco Harm Reduction

Nice publication I found on ECF today
    here is link

New ACSH publication - Helping Smokers Quit: The Science Behind Tobacco Harm Reduction
    juddyau and CCC like this.

Super Moderator
    Good find Margy :-)

AVF Regular
    I liked this bit especially about health professionals

"There is scientific consensus that smokeless tobacco use is vastly safer than smoking, but this is virtually unknown among the general public, and even among health professionals. Indeed, recent studies have revealed the extent of these misperceptions, as well as their potential impact on the implementation of THR.
    A 2010 study documented the widespread misper- ception of smokeless tobacco risks among highly edu- cated university faculty at the University of Louisville. The researchers found that over half of all faculty incor- rectly believed that smokeless tobacco poses general health risks that are equal to or greater than smoking. And there was a more common misperception about the risk of cancer associated with smokeless tobacco: Health science faculty, too, were also misinformed about this risk. Overall, the survey demonstrates that most health professionals have a poor understanding of the benefits of smokeless tobacco and are not aware that using it is vastly safer than smoking cigarettes.
    Misperception of the risks of smokeless tobacco use clearly stem from a campaign of misinformation by anti-tobacco activists who are more concerned with promoting nicotine abstinence than with a re- alistic approach to public health. They conflate the risks of smokeless tobacco with those associated with cigarettes, a message relayed via both direct statements and insinuation. Such misperceptions are deeply in- grained: "

Thanks.. I've forwarded to my other half.. not sure she will read it but hopefully the more of this "actual science" stuff I throw her way will eventually breakdown those "ingrained" misconceptions and help her to see the truth of the matter.
    To view my e-cig reviews and videos visit: http://www.youtube.com/user/light487