Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By rebelagainstthemachine
  • 1 Post By Dragandeewhy

Thread: Envoronment question/rant? and D*ck jumps on chimpy

AVF Regular

Envoronment question/rant? and D*ck jumps on chimpy

A post on another thread has sent me on a tangent – so have decided to rant, well because I found it interesting maybe someone else does too. Either way I don’t expect this rant to be popular but think maybe this will become an issue in future times.

You see, we have all heard the rant by tobacco control and environmentalists that billions of tonnes of cigarette butts get dropped per year causing all kinds of hell for wildlife. Likewise we have also heard the pro vaping arguments that vaping is much safer for the environment, but is it really?

Being me I got curious about this and had a hunt around to see what there is to back up this claim – and really what I found was not much, which was also interesting considering people are talking about saving “a billion smokers lives” with vaping – hell in Australia alone vaping by all accounts by advocates is supposed to be targeting around 20% of the population who are currently smokers. That’s a lot of people and a lot of waste.

In the happiness that results from finding vaping, many vapers don’t question the fact that that they might use a 10- 30ml bottle or more per week, or the small 5ml samples they get from vendors, which are made of plastics which may or may not be environmentally friendly.

Most people also don’t give a thought to what happens to disposable cartridges, coils or packaging or postpacks once they order them or dispose of them.

They may put old batteries, mods and chargers in the bin rather than thinking of it as e-waste and never give a second thought to the effect nicotine leakage may further have on the bee (and other mini ecosystem creature) population once the old tank or juice bottle has been thrown out.

Vegans may have an issue with glycerine that has been sourced through animals, while environmentalists may take issue with GMOs or Palm oils in their glycerine.

I am not an advocate or advocating anything one way or another, and not making any recommendations, but it may be something to think about or discuss at some point, because if vapers don’t, then someone else might…

On another note this article/blog was fun

The 'Bravery' Of Simon Chapman

The 'Bravery' Of Simon Chapman | **** Puddlecote
    Robray, gtadmin, Fatman and 1 others like this.
    “But I don’t want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
    "How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
    "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”
    Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Comic Database: Steve Hughes... Offended?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHMoDt3nSHs

AVF Regular
    Rechargeable batteries mean less batteries in the dumpster.

Refillable cartridges means leass cartridges in the dumpster.

I saved this file from the time of the TPD vote. I think one of the UK MPs retweeted it as he was some minister for the fisheries department or something like that.

This is just another reason why it would be better to be rid of cigalikes.

AVF Regular
    Could be another good reason to use HDPE it is recyclable and would have negligible amounts of nicotine when empty so just a wash before recycling?

A cigarette butt contains high concentration of nicotine from all accounts?

And yep refillable seems to me to be the go. (I saw the njoy product and personally not suprised it failed "closed" system looking for all the world like an anologue just my opinion)

Glycerin (VG) is obtained through de-esterification (Saponification in absence of water) of vege oils (Vegetable Glycerin) animal fat processed same way would not qualify as vegetable, was not keen to learn palm oils is a large source, I just "assumed" something like canola or sunflower. Can the large amounts of VG produced as a by product of bio diesel (rfom vegetable sources) be purified enough and cheaply to either BP or USP?
    Still searching for answers out of my own interest anyone found anything about these questions?
    Or maybe I am off track?
    Smoke free since april 2016

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    I have only been vaping just over 3 months and so far haven't thrown a single plastic or come to that glass bottle away as they will come in handy for when i get the confidence to start making my own juices so methinks i am doing my albeit small bit for the environment !

It is going to vary a lot - from disposable cartridges and batteries on an almost daily basis through to almost nothing (my waste is a about a ‘pad’ of cotton each year and maybe 20cm worth of wire - both of which will either break down or are biologically inert and my juice comes in 1000mL glass bottles which are repurposed or easily recycled ditto for the 18650s). I guess cartridges are still better than butts as they will sink and a lot of them will break down. On the other hand, smoking used generate very little as well - some ash and bits of clay pipe that still make up the banks of the Thames - I still use the old cigarette tins of my forebears to keep bits in...

You could say the same about almost anything these days though as capitalism thrives on waste - my veggies all come out of the ground at home, but many travel the globe with an insane amount of polystyrene and cling wrap to keep them company...

I’m certain that the idiots behind the TPD 10mL bottles all have shares in the landfill regulation industry.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    I always wondered why nobody came to the idea to use cigarete butts as bait whrn going fishing.

Compared with all the daily rubish and waste that we produce the leftovers of vaping seem so negligible.

AVF Regular
    Maybe - but suspect the environment and vaping will be an accross the board type issue at some point - not just for those switching from smoking - cannabis and soon apparently e-medicine

Couple of older articles on e-meds but still interesting

https://vaporizingtimes.com/vaping-e-medicines/

https://vaporizingtimes.com/whenwher...y-e-medicines/

Quote Originally Posted by Dragandeewhy View Post
    Compared with all the daily rubish and waste that we produce the leftovers of vaping seem so negligible.
    “But I don’t want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
    "How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
    "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”
    Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Comic Database: Steve Hughes... Offended?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHMoDt3nSHs