Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old movies

Old movies

My parents dropped over for a visit this morning and had a comment, seems they are sick and tired of all the stuff on TV lately that seems to be set in the 1950's and shows everyone smoking like a train, we where wondering could it be a way for ciggie companys to secretly be pushing smoking or is it just coincidence.

was thinking might start a list to discuss ..

heres an easy start ..

madmen
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

AVF Regular
    Grumpy Old man, Living inPerth Northern suburbs
    Not only older movies?

License to Kill Timothy Dalton
    Superman II Lois Lane (Cant remember who played her?)
    Vanilla Sky Cameron Diaz
    Because I trust no-one Who tells me FACTS with no proof

no, not made meself clear, not old movies at all, generally modern TV series..
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

robert de niro..

I am not sure of the name, not seen it, but some new ABC detective series set in the 50s or so, with a chain smoking detective.
    The various underbellys series of course.
    they rattled off half a dozen while they where here, most of them I don't know apart from seeing an ad or 2 for.
    All of them are still glamourising it in a way that they can't do in adverts of any form nowadays (in the west anyway).

AVF Regular
    Grumpy Old man, Living inPerth Northern suburbs
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    no, not made meself clear, not old movies at all, generally modern TV series..

Sorry Stoney

You have caught me at "I hate the Bastards Moment!!! I am going to drop this here anyway!!!

But did you know that Philip Morris and other tobacco companies actually paid for product placement in some of the more popular children's movies of recent times, including Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, Superman, and Who Framed Roger Rabbit? Our personal favorite? The Muppet Movie, of course.

Found here

Cigarette Secrets | Mother Jones
    Because I trust no-one Who tells me FACTS with no proof

CCC
    I'm not sure that it is a conspirecy. I think smoking brings an element to a character that is easily identified through the use of smokes. Like the "bad Boy, Sexy lady, Stressed out person, Rebel without a cause" It is good use of a prop. I do however have a problem with smoking cartoon characters. The writers will say it depicts an evilness about a character, but i have seen Tom and Jerry smoking cigars, and Rango was the hero, so not really sure why they need to show that to kids.

I have trouble going movies where there smoking the whole time and i cant (well it used to be a problem). Like tarintino flicks or anything with bruce willis, they chain smoke in most of them.
    I'd be pretty sure it is intentional product placement in most of them,

This movie has the most i'd seen, but it was in the title. Coffee and cigarettes.
    Iggy Pop and Tom Waits (Coffee and cigarettes) - FULL version - YouTube

Smoking was the norm back in the 50's so if a film/show is set in that era that's what you'd expect to see.

Cheers
    Daily Setup: Modded 3400mah FDV iStick, Orchid v4 RTA
    Daily Juice: Vaporeyes - Lazer Lombardi
    In the mail: Vapor Flask DNA40

george gently detective series
    dalzeil and pascoe-watch the offended when dalzeil smokes
    In the 60's I was probably the equivalent of a train with two engines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast