Like Tree7Likes
  • 5 Post By Crisscross
  • 2 Post By fabricator4

Thread: US Vendors Announcing Closures

AVF Regular

US Vendors Announcing Closures

The other day I received a newsletter from totally wicked announcing they will shut their US operations in 2018

Sweet vapes who is one of the main suppliers of older style vaping gear has also announced their closure

And then this morning I was told that Big Daddy Vapo is also closing their doors another supplier of older style MTL vaping.

Sad to see older vendors who were the front runners back in the day just not able to go forward under the new regs.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisscross View Post
    The other day I received a newsletter from totally wicked announcing they will shut their US operations in 2018

Sweet vapes who is one of the main suppliers of older style vaping gear has also announced their closure

And then this morning I was told that Big Daddy Vapo is also closing their doors another supplier of older style MTL vaping.

Sad to see older vendors who were the front runners back in the day just not able to go forward under the new regs.
    None of them will be able to go forward after 8/8/18 if the deeming regs don't get rescinded. Meanwhile the deeming regs that treat vaping as a tobacco product allows the states to tax it such, and that's what is behind most of the closures I think.

How not to do THR, and drive existing vapers to black and grey markets. I wonder if those wonderful legislators over there realise that when the only available product that kids can experiment with is tobacco, they'll have yet another generation of smokers doomed to a life of addiction. I think that's what they actually want - small business and vaping was just getting set to roll right over the top of big tobacco in the states, as it will do in the UK. WHO, FDA... criminals the whole damn lot of them.
    Fatman and Wombats1 like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    I'm sure this is exactly what FDA was hoping for. They're probably looking enviously at the Japan model, shut down all vaping in the country, then big tobacco moves in with its own alternative product (e.g. heat sticks).

Easy to control, easy to tax, business as usual.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleski View Post
    I'm sure this is exactly what FDA was hoping for. They're probably looking enviously at the Japan model, shut down all vaping in the country, then big tobacco moves in with its own alternative product (e.g. heat sticks).

Easy to control, easy to tax, business as usual.
    Wow? Really.

>shooop/crackle< => cloud.

I did not know vaping was 'shut down' in Japan. I didn't get the memo.

Might want to let the few vape shops operating here know, as well as Amazon.jp who I get a few things through.

FYI, it's not shut down at all, but it's not exactly widely practised and we have to import nic like you do in Oz, maximum of 120ml of nic containing liquid per import.

The problem here is not legal, it's cultural. The natives don't trust anything that's not established and well known, and a brand name they know of and have a measure of 'trust' with is essential for something to be widely adopted. The hodge podge of brands coming out of China rubs most of the natives the wrong way, but a Marlboro label on those 'warm' cigarettes, they know that and trust that.

Add in the local distaste for having something that's not plug and play, and telling them they'd need to import Nicotine liquid from overseas and mix it themselves, they're just not comfortable with it. Heck, importing something from overseas is something the locals baulk at more often than not which is why my sister in law owns a pair boots that cost her $300, but my wife's same boots cost only $100. I wanted to go $ for $ on the boots and get some RM Williams, but she decided that plain old Blunnies were fine. Made in China, but a 'brand' and imported. It's a recipe for fleecing cash out of the locals.

Besides, cigarettes here are not treated the same way in Japan they are overseas. Plenty of folks don't like them, but they're more tolerant of it. Goes against the Japanese trait of doing something 'for health', but I only live here, I haven't gone native.

Just so you know, there are a lot of things in Japan that are illegal/not allowed/impossible according to the natives. Most of them are merely a case of it not being the done thing and nobody wants to set their own path away from the herd. If you're willing to do what you want until they tell you to stop, you'll soon find you can do darned near anything you can dream up and nobody will stop you if there's no specific reason for them to.

I'd bet that if someone found a loophole that let them sell nic liquid and an idiot proof device to go with it, they'd have no problem selling as many as they could even if it cost more than cigarettes. But that's not the 'normal' thing here, the herd mentality won't push those boundaries so it'll never happen until someone(s) gets a bug up their butt and pushes it. I'd do it myself, but I spend most days doing stuff that's not allowed and the rest of my time following the herd.

Stu.