Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Tougher Legsilation on way for e-cigarettes

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Tougher Legsilation on way for e-cigarettes

E-CIGARETTES would be banned in non-smoking areas such as outdoor dining venues, just like tobacco cigarettes, under proposed legislation.

Retailers would not be allowed to sell the vaporisers to children, nor advertise or promote e-cigarette products.

Substance Abuse Minister Leesa Vlahos will release proposed regulations for public consultation in the new year, in line with recommendations from a parliamentary committee.

It is believed about 20,100 South Australians use e-cigarettes — or about 1.2 per cent of the population — and the devices are growing in popularity.

The battery-operated devices vaporise a refillable cartridge of nicotine solution to create a vapour that the user inhales, simulating the action of smoking. Some use flavoured liquids without nicotine.

E-cigarettes have been sold in Australia for about four years but legislation governing their sale and use varies around the nation.

Western Australia has banned the sale of vaporisers.

Queensland, New South Wales and the Australian Capital Territory have put restrictions in place and Victoria will regulate the devices from August next year.

“With easy access to e-cigarettes, there is the strong potential for increased use among young people,” Ms Vlahos said.

“While research into the health impacts of e-cigarettes is still underway, I am confident that the regulation of these devices will reduce any wider public health impact.”

A parliamentary committee held an inquiry into e-cigarettes, prompted by the concerns of Labor MP Annabel Digance about the potential long-term health risks.

Ms Digance said current laws allowed people to use e-cigarettes on the bus or in a workplace “whereas laws preventing people from smoking in these same spaces have been in place for years”.

Concerned that the Government is moving too slowly on the issue, Liberal MP and E-Cigarettes committee member Vincent Tarzia has flagged he will introduce legislation to Parliament next month to regulate the devices.

His Bill would prevent the sale of e-cigarettes to children and ban their sale online or by phone.

“We need to make sure that e-cigarettes do not act as a gateway to tobacco smoking,” Mr Tarzia said.

The parliamentary committee reported in February, making 20 recommendations including:

BANNING e-cigarettes in areas where tobacco smoking is banned.

PREVENTING the sale of e-cigarettes to people aged under 18.

BANNING advertising of e-cigarettes or offering pricing specials or promotions.

CALLING for more research on the effects of e-cigarettes on users, including pregnant women and foetuses, infants and children and people with respiratory illness or chronic illness.

The committee received 142 submissions and took evidence from 11 people, including from tobacco companies, e-cigarette retailers and users and tobacco smokers.

No Cookies | The Advertiser
    Might be a good idea to start writing letters to Ms Leesa Vlahos and Vincent Tazia.

AVF Regular
    news.com.au article on the same

SA looks to restrict e-cigarettes

and so i dont start a new thread - the latest 'science' on vaping
    https://www.sciencenewsforstudents.o...our-smile-risk
    chewbacca likes this.
    “But I don’t want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
    "How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
    "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”
    Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Comic Database: Steve Hughes... Offended?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHMoDt3nSHs

AVF Regular
    “We need to make sure that e-cigarettes do not act as a gateway to tobacco smoking,” Mr Tarzia said.

How about taking that same attitude, adjusting the words around a little bit and getting this?

“We need to make sure that e-cigarettes do act as a gateway away from tobacco smoking,”

That would make a lot of difference, but as is typical with most extreme anti-xyz, the only way to get the message through is the hard way.

Maybe if we start lumping extreme lobbyist types with the similarly extreme exploding vest types it might help weed them out? Just a thought...

Stu.
    Dymo316 likes this.

CMB
    AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by chewbacca View Post
    Might be a good idea to start writing letters to Ms Leesa Vlahos and Vincent Tazia.
    I have some Anthrax
    fabricator4 likes this.

AVF Regular
    The middle of this sentence

"His Bill would prevent the sale of e-cigarettes to children and ban their sale online or by phone."

is a concern

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by rebelagainstthemachine View Post
    news.com.au article on the same

SA looks to restrict e-cigarettes

and so i dont start a new thread - the latest 'science' on vaping
    https://www.sciencenewsforstudents.o...our-smile-risk
    Less than seen from cigarettes!

These morons seem to forget the other option is smoking, for fools like myself that have been unable to give up cigarettes vaping has been a godsend, lets ignore my spirometry results improving like ten fold and search high and low for *anything* that might show that vaping is dangerous.

FFS we must be able to find something bad its got to be here, "I know lets do invitro testing" and manufacture results, all these anecdotes mean shit because I dont like it and I think I know better.

These wankers are beyond belief, obviously never watched a loved one die from Emphysema etc, I am so f....in frustrated by this crap that is disseminated to frighten smokers to stay smoking.
    CMB likes this.
    Smoke free since april 2016

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by lheamfrg View Post

"His Bill would prevent the sale of e-cigarettes to children and ban their sale online or by phone."

is a concern
    Load of codswhalop, any one in any state can buy on line or by phone from anywhere when the Feds start stopping imports or Au Post stops delivering then we have to worry.

AVF Regular
    *looks perplexed... Maybe a trip to the doctors and a good old fashioned pill will help clear that right up!

Hope you get better soon!

Quote Originally Posted by CMB View Post
    I have some Anthrax
    CMB likes this.
    “But I don’t want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
    "How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
    "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”
    Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Comic Database: Steve Hughes... Offended?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHMoDt3nSHs

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Quote Originally Posted by lheamfrg View Post

is a concern
    Yep that has me worried somewhat. Personally, I think the media get it wrong so many times or look for the sensationalist language to stir up click bait but with such a statement we can't just take things for granted.

What amazes me is when politicians also say things like WA has banned the sale of e-cigarettes and therefore insinuate that such a move would be a good idea elsewhere like SA. They lack originality, it's just follow the lead of other states. I'm amazed they didn't mention America.

I also hate how they use the word e-cigarette. It has negative conoctations. I'm a vaper! I do not consider myself a smoker of cigarettes anymore. So why not use the word vaporizers instead of e-cigarettes?
    OldGrump likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by chewbacca View Post
    I also hate how they use the word e-cigarette. It has negative conoctations. I'm a vaper! I do not consider myself a smoker of cigarettes anymore. So why not use the word vaporizers instead of e-cigarettes?

Blame Hon Lik for that one, and ryan similarly means "like smoke". Hon Lik is also against open vapour systems and thinks they should be manufactured by big tobacco - that's where he works now. He also still smokes (dual use). I think a lot of vapers lost a hero when they saw that interview. In 2003 I guess calling it an electronic cigarette seemed like a good idea to get smokers to accept it.

Unfortunately we're stuck with these terms until the public consciousness catches on. 99% still do not understand.
    OldGrump likes this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast