• 2 Post By Northerner
  • 3 Post By Fatman
  • 3 Post By rebelagainstthemachine
  • 1 Post By PurpleVapes

Thread: So BAT is proposing

AVF Regular

So BAT is proposing

Regulators “should reduce research needed for minor product variants”

Regulators “should reduce research needed for minor product variants” | ECigIntelligence

E-cigarette regulators should demand less comprehensive scientific research for products that are only variants of existing ones, a senior tobacco industry scientist has suggested.
    “The many innovations and technological breakthroughs [in the e-cig industry] are so rapid that it is impractical to create complete new data sets every time a product is tweaked,” said James Murphy, head of reduced risk substantiation at British American Tobacco (BAT).
    Instead, he suggested that regulators could require complete data sets for entirely new products, covering issues such as toxicants in vapour, effect on cells compared to tobacco smoking, chemical stability, and likely consumer use patterns.
    But they could then accept a smaller number of “more focused” studies for variants of the original product.
    “Once you build the initial science package, a reduced number of tests should be sufficient to support subsequent product tweaks,” said Murphy, speaking at the Next Generation Nicotine Delivery conference in London last week.
    “This would drastically impact the innovation process, the availability of new and improved products and their value as a public health tool.”

What This Means: Conceptually, Murphy’s concept of “bridging” makes eminent sense and is a logical extension of allowing anything other than wholly original science.
    Even the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in the U.S. – hardly famed for its easy-going attitude toward e-cigs – has said it will sometimes accept previous research as part of an application for product approval.
    However, we can anticipate wrangling over details if Murphy’s proposal is to become a widespread reality, and much of that will focus on the question of exactly what can be safely left to previous research and what needs to be investigated afresh for each new product.
    For example, it was proposed at another London conference last week – the E-Cigarette Summit – that safety studies need to be device-specific because larger quantities of oxidants are produced by higher-powered products.
    – ECigIntelligence staff
    Fatman and Dymo316 like this.
    “But I don’t want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
    "How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
    "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”
    Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Comic Database: Steve Hughes... Offended?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHMoDt3nSHs

AVF Regular
    Of course they do. They'll get approval for their cigalikes, then under that protocol they can flood the market with similar devices without hardly spending anything. Open vapour on the other hand...

Quote Originally Posted by rebelagainstthemachine View Post
    [...]the question of exactly what can be safely left to previous research and what needs to be investigated afresh for each new product.
    For example, it was proposed at another London conference last week – the E-Cigarette Summit – that safety studies need to be device-specific because larger quantities of oxidants are produced by higher-powered products.
    – ECigIntelligence staff
    Which shows their complete lack of understanding. Most tobacco and pharma "research" is done with CE4 clearos, the lowest common denominator. Larger better regulated mods and atomisers with better airflow and wicking will produce far less of the unwanted stuff.

Yet again establishment and big business is years behind the technology curve only because it's suits their purpose. They can fudge the figures for all they are worth without looking like complete idiots to the public who doesn't know any better.

Sorry, I'm in a bit of a mood this morning...
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    He is suggesting "Murphy's Law"... literally.

gtadmin and Dymo316 like this.
    "Go away and come back when you understand better." he said. He would not let me pass.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rebelagainstthemachine View Post
    So BAT is proposing
    They didnt even ask if I wanted to go steady first
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular
    Umm do they even need to go steady? I think I was reading on the other thread something about Toofar offering to sell rides on the Fatman...??? So am not too sure where the going steady part comes in now

*confused....

Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    They didnt even ask if I wanted to go steady first
    Fatman, fabricator4 and Wombats1 like this.
    "Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."

AVF Regular
    Cigalikes will be the only devices to pass.

Awesome! Great news guys! Those stupid "mods" will finally be rid of.

Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    Sorry, I'm in a bit of a mood this morning...
    me too. And this sneaky bullcrap by BAT just made it worse.

AVF Regular
    Would like to take this moment to remind everyone what Big Tobacco has done in the recent past;

AVF Regular
    Hey purple on that note - Cause I am not up to date on much these days - Does anyone have a copy of the Tobbacco applications for the TGA? That would be most interesting if not enlightening...

Meanwhile veterans in the US are kicking back over the FDA crackdown

Veterans Are Slamming The FDA’s Plan To Smother Vaping Industry

Read more: FDA Crack Down On Vaping May Hurt Veterans The Most | The Daily Caller

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleVapes View Post
    Would like to take this moment to remind everyone what Big Tobacco has done in the recent past;