Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Here's something to exploit?

AVF Regular

Here's something to exploit?

Champix inquiry: Anti-smoking drug before Queensland Coroner’s Court

Does vaping cause folks to end it all? I would have thought the complete opposite...

Stu.
    Cath Mort and stylemessiah like this.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Huh? Since when is Champix in ejuice?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

AVF Regular
    It's not, but for getting off the cigarettes which is better? Vaping or taking a drug that's got links to suicide?

Stu.
    stylemessiah likes this.

AVF Regular
    Um, not sure what you would want to exploit.

It's obviously a drug with some possible serious side effects. Unfortunately drugs that effect the mind can and do have some serious side effects however not all people taking the drug will have the same side effects. I feel sorry for those people trying to get off the cigs and listen to their doctors who prescribe such drugs. Unfortunately doctors don't always inform their patients of the side effects of medication they are prescribing to their patients. On the other hand if you notice such side effects you really should see a doctor asap and stop taking the medication.

The article states "hundreds of other suicide attempts", but how many people are on the drug, and how many of those have made suicide attempts, and how many suicide attempts have those people made? It would be interesting to take away the "news" hype and see the actual figures.

It's about time doctors pulled their heads out of their asses and finally work out what's best for their patients and not for their own pockets. Isn't that why they spend years training for at uni?
    stylemessiah likes this.

Super Moderator
    "In the last five years, 544 suicides and 1,869 attempted suicides have been reported to the FDA as “adverse events” in connection with Chantix, according to documents obtained by America Tonight under the Freedom of Information Act."

FDA: Anti-smoking drug Chantix linked to more than 500 suicides | Al Jazeera America
    stylemessiah likes this.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular
    Wow, that's a lot of suicides. Like I said, ANY drug that alters brain chemistry should be taken seriously.

I do fall back to my previous statement, any time you experience any serious side effects of any medication you should see your GP straight away and discontinue use.

And like I said, doctors need to wake up and suggest solutions that are the best for the patients and not for kickbacks from drug companies.

Still, we shouldn't be exploiting the situation but educating GP's that this medication shouldn't be used.
    Last edited by toofargone; 26-11-16 at 05:47 PM.
    stylemessiah likes this.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Lol the answer is obvious

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

AVF Regular
    If you complain to a GP about your meds- in particular antidepressants and SSRI and beta blocker type meds- Most doctors will faff around with dosages or put you on other similar meds- They will often prescribe these kinds of meds whether you need them or not and whether or not your issue is practical or not or whether you just need to be temporarily sedated or not. These kinds of meds are an easy cheap fix/ cure all.

Doctors are taught to be methodical and trust in science - even when science is wrong- Most are not prone to questioning the existing status quo on any drug.

So much so - that as someone and I were discussing not so long ago - they have actually moved the goal posts on addiction to accommodate this huge market

According to most accepted dogma - antidepressants and others similar to chantix are generally considered not addictive by anyone.

But here is the kicker- These kinds of drugs have up to 70 side effects and more - You are expected to take them continuously over long periods of time and you cant just quit them- You have to step down in a similar way to any addictive drug or else you could have similar withdrawal symptoms to any known addictive drug

So now try and define addictive....

Some people swear by them - many others curse them - but either way they are endorsed by govts, public health, doctors and the whole kit and caboodle - A quick and socially less costly fix for real issues in real peoples lives and comunities -

Quote Originally Posted by toofargone View Post

I do fall back to my previous statement, any time you experience any serious side effects of any medication you should see your GP straight away and discontinue use.

And like I said, doctors need to wake up and suggest solutions that are the best for the patients and not for kickbacks from drug companies.

Still, we shouldn't be exploiting the situation but educating GP's that this medication shouldn't be used.
    stylemessiah likes this.
    But I dont want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you cant help that," said the Cat: "were all mad here. Im mad. Youre mad."
    "How do you know Im mad?" said Alice.
    "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldnt have come here.
    Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Comic Database: Steve Hughes... Offended?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHMoDt3nSHs

AVF Regular
    TBH if you go to your GP and complain that you've got suicidal thoughts after taking X/Y/Z medication and they want to keep you on it, you probably should find a new GP.

I didn't say stop taking the medication, I said speak to your GP straight away and I should have said discuss stopping the medication.

I'm well aware of the dangers of stopping psych meds suddenly. Realistically you should be seeing a Psychiatrist if you are taking psych medications, as much as GP's like to think they know all the truth is they don't. But that's for another discussion
    Vapntime and stylemessiah like this.

AVF Regular
    My doctor refused to prescribe me Champix after I asked last year. He seems quite happy I'm vaping full time and off the ciggies.
    Vapntime and stylemessiah like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast