Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: "7.30" report on illegal tobacco imports

  1. #1
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Adelaide SA
    Posts
    1,111

    Exclamation "7.30" report on illegal tobacco imports

    On 7.30 tonight there was a story about illegal tobacco imports and the effects of the tax increases on legal tobacco.

    Most illegal imports of tobacco are coming from the Middle East and China! ... Surprise surprise (roll eyes)
    A senior cop interviewed during the story admitted that it may be a billion dollar a year industry.

    Predictably the "Authorities" are using up lots of resources dealing with the problem.

    I'd imagine there are heaps of desperate (broke) smokers out there looking for cheaper smokes. Meanwhile "Organised crime gangs are rubbing their hands together".

    I'm really glad I started Vaping well over two years ago.
    Cath Mort, Smasha and iamgirlsam like this.
    Peter

    My last cigarette... 3rd April 2014

  2. #2
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Hobart Tas.
    Posts
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by sc_rufctr View Post
    On 7.30 tonight there was a story about illegal tobacco imports and the effects of the tax increases on legal tobacco.

    Most illegal imports of tobacco are coming from the Middle East and China! ... Surprise surprise (roll eyes)
    A senior cop interviewed during the story admitted that it may be a billion dollar a year industry.

    Predictably the "Authorities" are using up lots of resources dealing with the problem.

    I'd imagine there are heaps of desperate (broke) smokers out there looking for cheaper smokes. Meanwhile "Organised crime gangs are rubbing their hands together".

    I'm really glad I started Vaping well over two years ago.
    LOL Chop Chop was alsways available to smokers that knew where to look. I remember when I smoked I could buy it for $50 per kg. No need for imports then. Since tobacco growing in Au has been eliminated (Prohibition) history is repeating itself...Look what happened in the USA when they tried their pathetic probition during the depression....Al Capone or is it Al Foo Man Choo now LOL.
    sc_rufctr likes this.

  3. #3
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Griffith, NSW
    Posts
    3,424
    i know almost every chop chop dealer from here to sydney, they are not hard to find..... unless your a cop

    Same as i said last year, if NNA really wanted to take a swing at anti vape that the pollies wont get involved with.
    Make the case for every vaper we have, thats one less smoker jumping on the growing the billion dollar illegal trade.

  4. #4
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    5,301
    I remember the days when Aussie growers were involved. Sunday arvos spent making 200 smokes for the week. Until mouldy imports nearly killed me.
    It was no secret way back then either who was making it possible. Not when a murder trial over Victorian tobacco was in all the papers.
    AllyP likes this.
    Sixth Vape Year and Four Years Sans Durry.

  5. #5
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Narre Warren North, Vic.
    Posts
    2,689
    Tobacco excise increases haven't so much made people quit, rather made them smoke chop chop. The harm reduction policies a working well, not.
    Last cigarette, 11:00 AM 11th March 2015.

  6. #6
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Sydney (or lurking in the shadows behind you)
    Posts
    2,298
    Eight minute piece saying smugglers are terrorists, & we need more money to catch them ?!?

    People have been smuggling tobacco for the last two hundred plus years.
    So let's increase the money they can make, & hope they go away, shall we ?!?

    I Do Whatever I Want,
    Whenever I Want,
    And If It Doesn't Suit You,
    Go Start Your Own Empire

    Anything I write on this Forum is purely my opinion and should never be read as fact!
    (or I could just be wrong)
    Please read the Forum rules
    (or wait for Johnny Depp to do the movie)
    Small reminder
    It's all about the cigartte ... Stupid



  7. #7
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    797
    The link to Illegal tobacco trade may be fuelling terrorism, Border Force warns.
    Australians may not equate illegal tobacco smuggling with drug trafficking or terrorism fundraising, but senior border security officials are warning it may be fuelling both and posing a national security risk.
    Well .. duh!

    Author of eJumica - the eJuice Mixing Calculator.
    eJumica is compatible with Windows, OS X & Linux/Unix.
    Requires the Java plug-in
    .

  8. #8
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Daylesford, Victoria
    Posts
    1,989
    Quote Originally Posted by essiemessy View Post
    I remember the days when Aussie growers were involved. Sunday arvos spent making 200 smokes for the week. Until mouldy imports nearly killed me.
    It was no secret way back then either who was making it possible. Not when a murder trial over Victorian tobacco was in all the papers.
    Lol, yes me too - it was the moldy imports that finally convinced me to succeed with Vaping, very nasty stuff - I feel sad for the smokers that have no choice but to smoke it.
    essiemessy likes this.

  9. #9
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Narre Warren North, Vic.
    Posts
    2,689
    Quote Originally Posted by AllyP View Post
    Lol, yes me too - it was the moldy imports that finally convinced me to succeed with Vaping, very nasty stuff - I feel sad for the smokers that have no choice but to smoke it.
    Very sad indeed.
    essiemessy and AllyP like this.
    Last cigarette, 11:00 AM 11th March 2015.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    5,139
    Yup my convert was on the chop chop, he would spend a wekk drying the shti out in his room, it reeked, i would have quit cold turkey before i smoked that

    But 16 months on, and just recently, said convert told me in his next mix he wanted me to halve his nic again (from 10mg to 5mg), as he wanted the next step to be completely vape free

    Who woulda thought....
    AllyP and Cat like this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

    Pushing back against the vendor wall, one damn stupid post at a time...

    Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

    Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.4
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
All times are GMT +11. The time now is 11:30 AM.