Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree177Likes

Thread: Has any one got any news as to what is happening with the NNA ?

AVF Regular

Has any one got any news as to what is happening with the NNA ?

Has anyone got any news as to what is happening with the New Nicotine Alliance (Australia)?
    Since their submission to the TGA it seems there is no further news on their website or blog site.
    Have they shut down or ceased to function?
    Lest in self defence it be,
    Harm you none,
    So may it be!

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingfox12 View Post
    Has anyone got any news as to what is happening with the New Nicotine Alliance (Australia)?
    Since their submission to the TGA it seems there is no further news on their website or blog site.
    Have they shut down or ceased to function?
    No they tend to operate like that. We don't know what they are doing until they've done it. I believe snus will be on their agenda for THR.

They need to be more transparent though.

Sent from my B1-730 using Tapatalk
    ybnice and rockmoose like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Despite it being stated that

Governance

The NNA AU is entirely governed by its Board of Trustees, who are drawn from the scientific community and from the ranks of “new nicotine” consumers.

In formulating policy, we will consult widely with the scientific community, industry and end-user stakeholders.
    Sadly, as a vaper for the last 12 months, I have seen no evidence of NNA consultation/collaboration/communication with vapers.

I can understand that it must be a time consuming and sometimes frustrating process for those involved, but I would have thought that consultation/communication with vapers as consumers would have been essential before establishing any policy ....

but what would I know ...

What is a cat's favourite colour? Purrrrrrrple !

emu
    AVF Regular
    If you are not part of their clique forget it, just have to wait and see what happens. It's more like a kingdom than a democracy with that lot.
    SubyXV and rockmoose like this.

AVF Regular
    These days they are active on FB and I see them answering questions all the time - also it is a very small board doing a lot of work. I think they have also been busy meeting with Pollies and health professionals across Australia.
    I donate a very small amount monthly and have my fingers & Toes crossed that the TGA application is successful - I think they will know something in Feb and inform Vapers of any news.
    My thoughts are at least someone is doing something but I know many here dont feel the same way.

AVF Regular
    The thing is that the NNA arose from and was inspired by the UK group which uses tactics of working in the background and keeping their cards close to their chest so to speak.

I personally would like to know more due to my curiosity but different people work in different ways in politics.

I see it as just a group of people doing stuff so they can try and get some harm reduction happening in the tobacco consumption realm.

It doesn't really bother me that much as I am free to do stuff if I so wish. We all are.

Nobody really speaks for me as I am able to do that myself, but people will often band together for obvious reasons but the thing is never will everyone be pleased.

We often dream that we are a nice little community where all our voices are heard but the vaping world is really a heap of little dictatorships, benevolent or not.

A little microcosm of the world situation really.

Granted that things could be better, but outrage doesn't help much.

I sort of like the way people love to instigate a lynching, it is a way to occupy some blank space in our minds

and watch and cheer together with satisfaction as some deserving or not poor bastards swing in derision.
    giruvian, DogMan, Midlife and 6 others like this.

AVF Regular
    The last update i heard was from back in september, i havent seen any new updates. Its bugging me i need (every other Aussie vapour) needs to know whats going on but i guess its a slow process

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk
    emu likes this.

AVF Regular
    I think that finally managing to give up the stinkies by discovering vaping, was just so mind boggling to me personally, I became almost evangelical !!

Hell I had tried everything over the years and failed.. this was like an epiphany !
    Halleluja...Everyone MUST know about this miracle that is vaping... why was I never told !

oh dear oh my !

but seriously I can and do speak for myself... but having worked with and for people who are socially marginalised, and who struggle with smoking, that is the bit that gets to me..

and watching, from a distance, it is easy to disengage from what could be done... It is not so much that "someone should do something" its more about knowledge being power.... "why was I never told about vaping"

.. but what do I know...

What is a cat's favourite colour? Purrrrrrrple !

AVF Regular
    Fixed it for you christian...

Quote Originally Posted by Christian R View Post
    The thing is that the NNA arose from and was inspired by the UK group which uses tactics of working in the background and keeping their cards close to their chest so to speak. However the UK has several different vendor and consumer groups working for the cause of vaping as well as extremely corporate libertarinan think tanks that help push the conservative right agenda in government through single topics like vpaing-

Most of the other groups even if you disagree with them, regularly publish information and debunk sheets bc they understand the need for community involvement as well as appearing to be transparent and accountable- This appearance of transparency and accountability is also used for trust building - which is important esp considering UK population is 64million vs our Australian 24 million - as a small community - transparency is imperative on a number of levels- it promotes trust, community involvement, knowledge, empowerment, accountability and just letting people know why you should bother to support things like vaping

We should accept comments from offical NNA AU reps that any who stand against them or question them are mentally ill in some way or are out to get them ... Meanwhile They have never said who their enemies are that they have to be so secretive- intersting considering they seem to be in bed with those they have previoulsy claimed to be against them

I personally would like to know more due to my curiosity but different people work in different ways in politics. If you join the clique where people dont question much of anything you can know what you want - The NNA Au 3 have a question and answer thread there - Due to people questioning of methods and reasons why they do stuff without community consutation - they dont use the locked thread here

I see it as just a group of people doing stuff so they can try and get some harm reduction happening in the tobacco consumption realm. Absolutely! They are a legal formally recognized entity that speak for all vapers - these groups are usually people who are trying to do something_ shouldnt they then speak to the whole community about what they are up to and why? Maybe even listen to concerns of the people the supposedly represent? Answer a few questions? Even cancer council and others can do that .... why not them?

It doesn't really bother me that much as I am free to do stuff if I so wish. We all are. Yup your choice but then why passive aggressively berate others for their choices or when they react to the choices of others like the NNA AU?

Nobody really speaks for me as I am able to do that myself, but people will often band together for obvious reasons but the thing is never will everyone be pleased. True

We often dream that we are a nice little community where all our voices are heard but the vaping world is really a heap of little dictatorships, benevolent or not.

A little microcosm of the world situation really. YES!

Granted that things could be better, but outrage doesn't help much. So what will help christian? Keeping quiet and seething, perhaps, just taking what ever they dish out like good little smokers who have already been abused by similar systems who have no accountability? Not letting the NNA AU know that there are alternative opinions out there? Allowing them to further disempower vapers who they claim to represent by not demanding transparency? Letting them steam roll vapers into some kind of medicalization?

I sort of like the way people love to instigate a lynching, it is a way to occupy some blank space in our minds - Yep most corporations and unaccountable organisations would argue the same thing- Its preferable this way for them because then they get to do whatever they want however they want. Perhaps this is a thought we should keep in mind when fighting any cause that might be of some value from poverty to demanding proper food labling to the right to eat meat. After all we wouldnt want to lynch anyone would we? Its for our own good after all...

and watch and cheer together with satisfaction as some deserving or not poor bastards swing in derision. If people are so free and should do what they want why bother commenting? What do you care what gets said from any direction?

Last edited by rebelagainstthemachine; 07-01-17 at 03:05 PM.
    How can the NNA AU claim to represent vapers if they don't bother to talk to all of them?
    If they dont talk and listen to the whole vaping community, how can they know what vapers want or need?
    If most of the vaping community is ignored- who do the NNA AU really represent?

AVF Regular
    Thanks RATM, you are so kind, I need someone like you to help me think without prejudice.

MY bad!
    Stomp likes this.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast