• 4 Post By fabricator4
  • 1 Post By rockmoose
  • 2 Post By fabricator4
  • 1 Post By rockmoose
  • 1 Post By PurpleVapes

Thread: Regwatch Canada Health interview

AVF Regular

Regwatch Canada Health interview

For those who don't know, Canada Heath is about to bring in S5 (or something) a bill that treats vapour products separately from tobacco products (good) but prohibits anyone, including the government, from comparing the benefits of vaping vs smoking.

This is the kind of stupidity we are up against in Australia too, it's just that we can't pin them down. Watch the interview and see how the Director General squirms when Brent points this out to her not once, but several times. I was screaming a the computer screen at this point.

https://www.regulatorwatch.com/brent...vaping-part-1/

ETA: According to the DG Canadian youth read research journals all the time to get information. What planet is this b**** on? I know plenty of adults who have never read a research journal in their life...
    Last edited by fabricator4; 16-02-17 at 12:50 PM.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    More bureaucratic gobbledegook. Looks like that will make space for at least another two or three government departments, to ensure redtape and roadblocks rule supreme.
    Fenix Vapours likes this.
    Rabid non-smoker since 1630hrs 25/11/2016.

Pebble fondler, living life beyond the vertical.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Had me cringing and squirming watching it. I think she managed to use every deflection tool she had and all the gov-speak she could manage.

And what is it with governments and other organisations that think that a 2 year review cycle is fine when dealing with vaping? The science that they say they want to see more of is happening all the time, so they need to step up and keep up - especially with the fake science that is getting debunked at a near superhuman rate now.

Sent from my SGP311 using Tapatalk

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenix Vapours View Post
    Had me cringing and squirming watching it. I think she managed to use every deflection tool she had and all the gov-speak she could manage.

And what is it with governments and other organisations that think that a 2 year review cycle is fine when dealing with vaping? The science that they say they want to see more of is happening all the time, so they need to step up and keep up - especially with the fake science that is getting debunked at a near superhuman rate now.

Sent from my SGP311 using Tapatalk
    Yeah I know. Two years is way too long for smokers. Unfortunately that's the kind of timeframe that politicians work at. It allows them to cover their asses or for it to become a SEP (Douglas Adams reference - Someone Else's Problem).

I think the cringe worthiness was what had me yelling at her image on the screen. She knew it was wrong, but kept on going anyway. Politician first, Health professional second.

Edit: gotta love Brent's work though. He does a great job of highlighting the key issues and getting people to talk about them, even when it makes them look like idiots. He then edits the interview to STILL show them in the best light. Class Act.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 16-02-17 at 01:33 PM.
    Fenix Vapours and rockmoose like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    Yeah I know. Two years is way too long for smokers. Unfortunately that's the kind of timeframe that politicians work at. It allows them to cover their asses or for it to become a SEP (Douglas Adams reference - Someone Else's Problem).

I think the cringe worthiness was what had me yelling at her image on the screen. She knew it was wrong, but kept on going anyway. Politician first, Health professional second.

Edit: gotta love Brent's work though. He does a great job of highlighting the key issues and getting people to talk about them, even when it makes them look like idiots. He then edits the interview to STILL show them in the best light. Class Act.

Yeah, he's clever. Ensures the message gets out, and still keeps them onside enough to allow him continuing access. Very well done. And quite clearly, in for the long haul.
    Rabid non-smoker since 1630hrs 25/11/2016.

Pebble fondler, living life beyond the vertical.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    For those who don't know, Canada Heath is about to bring in S5 (or something) a bill that treats vapour products separately from tobacco products (good) but prohibits anyone, including the government, from comparing the benefits of vaping vs smoking.
    This is clearly a law on marketing.

Basically, she was saying that nicotine ecigs will be legalised, but if you want to put on your label that your product, specifically, is safer than smoking, you'll need to fork out the millions of dollars for a drug application approval.

In other words, Canada is paving the way for all ecigs to be legalised (which is good), but only Big Pharma, and Big Tobacco will be able to label their products as "safe".
    Last edited by PurpleVapes; 16-02-17 at 01:41 PM.

The cringesquirm continues:

https://www.regulatorwatch.com/brent...vaping-part-2/

My god her face goes through some incredibly strange routines in this one.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleVapes View Post
    This is clearly a law on marketing.

Basically, she was saying that nicotine ecigs will be legalised, but if you want to put on your label that your product, specifically, is safer than smoking, you'll need to fork out the millions of dollars for a drug application approval.

In other words, Canada is paving the way for all ecigs to be legalised (which is good), but only Big Pharma, and Big Tobacco will be able to label their products as "safe".
    The reason no product in canada has health department approval is because similar to the FDA approval process, it's far too expensive for small e-liquid manufacturers, so yes, BT and Pharma might be the only ones. IF they do it, it might open the doors for smaller manufacturers to claim equivalence, but I don't know how the Canadian system works.

My understanding is that it's not just advertising though, vape shops can't tell customers that it's safer either. I think they will do so anyway, and I don't think Health Canada will waste taxpayers money on policing that part of it unless someone makes a nuisance of themselves. Canadians seem to have a healthy attitude to civil disobedience - they've been selling an illegal product for years and getting away with it, or more correctly they've been allowed to get away with it. Health Canada seems happy enough to have laws in place so they can say "I told you so" without actually enforcing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenix Vapours View Post
    The cringesquirm continues:

https://www.regulatorwatch.com/brent...vaping-part-2/

My god her face goes through some incredibly strange routines in this one.
    Yep, it didn't get any better. I didn't have to yell at the screen during that one though, except the bit about WHO summit. If Health Canada did anything useful in all that it wasn't very evident in what was put out at the end.

When's the next WHO summit on tobacco control? I think it will blow up big time.

The next WHO FCTC is in 2018 (probably late in the year) in Geneva - expect a lot of disgruntled Europeans to be knocking on the doors for that one.