Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Dr Karl in Triple J claims e-cigarettes are a gateway drug

AVF Regular

Dr Karl in Triple J claims e-cigarettes are a gateway drug

Dr Karl Triple J Thursday podcast 3/3/2017. Here's what he said:

"What seems to be the problem with the ecigarettes are the glycol type chemicals which are rated for food grade eating but not for breathing. You think well surely that's ok. Well wheat in food is overwhelmingly safe for the vast majority of us but wheat dust can cause wheat growers lungs.... put in to your lungs it does cause harm, so we're seeing problems coming through now.

It does seem to be better, oh sorry, have less harm, than smoking a cigarette but on the other hand it seems to be, I'm sorry to use this phrase, a gateway drug. So there are people who are getting into smoking only through e-cigarettes and from e-cigarettes they go onto regular cigarettes. And there are some people going the other way.

But there are definite though minor health problems. They're not safe. We'll find out what what those problems are as people do the experiments of smoking lots of e-cigarettes."

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    He lost all credibility with me in the early days of the Fukeshima Nuclear Disaster.
    He said there would be very little radiation released & it couldn't be as bad as Chernobyl.

Yeah.....right
    Pleski likes this.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    I heard this. What a loads of bollocks. Not the first time he has bagged vaping with false evidence. Last time he actually said there was zero evidence to support that vaping is safer than smoking and that flavourings may actually be worse than smoking.
    No time for him anymore

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

AVF Regular
    Sydney (or lurking in the shadows behind you)
    It seems nobody has pointed out to our good Doctor that Booze is the gateway drug.
    Smasha likes this.

I Do Whatever I Want,
    Whenever I Want,
    And If It Doesn't Suit You,
    Go Start Your Own Empire

Anything I write on this Forum is purely my opinion and should never be read as fact!
    (or I could just be wrong)
    Please read the Forum rules
    (or wait for Johnny Depp to do the movie)
    Small reminder
    It's all about the cigartte ... Stupid

axx
    AVF Regular
    I used to listen to Dr Karl about 20 years ago when he was on JJJ doing his weekly spot where people would ring up and ask him questions - he lost credibility in my eyes when I heard him a few years back on ABC tv talking about internet technology in such a generalised way he was in fact wrong.. he also talks like he the smartest person in the room which I find irritating.

What an idiot - I hate those who try the "gateway" bs, as if they are privy to a special understanding not documented elsewhere.

Suggests to me that his understanding of vaping is at least 8-10 years old citing flavours as making the whole thing worse than ciggies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Pleski likes this.

AVF Regular
    Yes, I've noticed his credibility has been sliding over the years. The program producers try to make him refer to experts before he makes his more stupid statements. But of course because it involves smokers and ex-smokers they've let him spout crap. Still I get the feeling he's aping some official line on ecigs, probably an AMA line, and really he shouldn't be getting away with it. Personally I'm going to pursue him until he puts up or shuts up.
    Noe, CMB, Cath Mort and 1 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Snidely_Whiplash View Post
    It seems nobody has pointed out to our good Doctor that Booze is the gateway drug.
    Well booze just gets a free ride because lots of people do it and it's all just a bit of fun. But don't we all know it, it's an ICE epidemic apparently, they're breaking down the doors like a zombie apocalypse. Booze will just have to wait, there's just too much money in it.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by snuffnvape View Post
    I heard this. What a loads of bollocks. Not the first time he has bagged vaping with false evidence. Last time he actually said there was zero evidence to support that vaping is safer than smoking and that flavourings may actually be worse than smoking.
    No time for him anymore

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    To be fair I tweeted him the PHE statement (the 95% less harmful one), and he retweeted it. But unfortunately he doesn't seem to retained that information, nor the perspective of measuring a "not quite safe" habit with a "really bad for you" habit. He could have been more constructive in correcting himself the following week, to say the least.
    LimeB likes this.

AVF Regular
    only thing I liked about him was that weird purple shirt with all the clocks on it, when he spoke about circaidium rhythms
    One failed lab experiment away from obtaining superpowers

https://media.tenor.co/images/860c5d...011a/tenor.gif

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Sounds like a brainless twat, oh sorry, clueless twit.
    I'm glad he isn't my doctor, I wouldn't go to see him to clear up pimples even.
    Cath Mort and Sully like this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast