Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By fabricator4
  • 1 Post By Whisp

Thread: What pg/vg ratio for my nic

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

What pg/vg ratio for my nic

Ok peeps what pg/vg ratio should I be aiming for with my nic? I've got 100mg pg based nic, just looking for an idea of what ratio other people are using?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by willjones09 View Post
    Ok peeps what pg/vg ratio should I be aiming for with my nic? I've got 100mg pg based nic, just looking for an idea of what ratio other people are using?

If you buy it in 100% PG, it stabilises the nic and it's more like to be in good condition when you get it. Putting it in small glass bottles and freezing it will make it last much longer.

If you buy Nic in VG it is more risky for the travel, because the Nic seems to oxidize faster, especially if it encounters elevated temperatures during it's travels.

However... Nic in VG in small glass bottles in the freezer at -18C will hardly change at all with very long term storage because the VG is practically a solid at that temperature (PG is not).

So, you need to buy it in PG or VG depending on whether it's for immediate use or for vapocaypse storage.

The only other reason to buy it in VG is if you are PG intolerant and are aiming for a 0 PG mix (or max VG with flavours). We used to buy a PG/VG mix when we were buying low concentration stuff (36mg/ml) but we now know it's better to buy 100mg/ml and mix it down - much more economical.

If you're talking about what you should be mixing it down to, well that's a whole 'nuther story - would depend on what atties you are using and your preferences.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 01-04-17 at 04:50 PM.
    flyingfox12 and willjones09 like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    If you buy it in 100% PG, it stabilises the nic and it's more like to be in good condition when you get it. Putting it in small glass bottles and freezing it will make last much longer.

If you buy Nic in VG is more risky for the travel, because the Nic seems to oxidize faster, expecially if it encounters elevated temperatures during it's travels.

However... Nic in VG in small glass bottles in the freezer at -18C will hardly change at all with very long term storage because the VG is practically a solid at that temperature (PG is not).

So, you need to buy it in PG or VG depending on whether it's for immediate use or for vapocolypse storage.

The only other reason to buy it in VG is if you are PG intolerant and are aiming for a 0 PG mix (or max VG with flavours). We used to buy a PG/VG mix when we were buying low concentration stuff (36mg/ml) but we now know it's better to buy 100mg/ml and mix it down - much more economical.

If you're talking about what you should be mixing it down to, well that's a whole 'nuther story - would depend on what atties you are using and your preferences.
    I brought 100mg/ml pg based and I store it in a vacuum sealed bottle and I'm mixing at 16mg using a wismec rx 2/3 with a cleito 120 at 75 watts have been using 50/50 pg/vg but thinking I should be using 70/30 or 80/20 so was just wondering what other people's ratio preference is?

AVF Regular
    I brought 100mg/ml pg based and I store it in a vacuum sealed bottle and I'm mixing at 16mg using a wismec rx 2/3 with a cleito 120 at 75 watts have been using 50/50 pg/vg but thinking I should be using 70/30 or 80/20 so was just wondering what other people's ratio preference is?

I'm at 50/50 for low wattage direct lung vaping, around 20 - 30 watts. For bigger and hotter stuff I've been mixing 80% VG. Some people doing mouth to lung vaping at 12 - 15 watts might prefer at least 60 to 70 % PG for the throat hit.

Liquid is always a bit harsher for the first 24 hours until all the ingredients and especially the nicotine has combined properly.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 01-04-17 at 05:15 PM.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular

I think you are on the right track. With higher wattages especially in RDAs it's better to be above 70VG. It all depends on how much throat hit you want, and whether you are chasing flavour or clouds. At 70VG you still get great flavour though.
    willjones09 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisp View Post
    I think you are on the right track. With higher wattages especially in RDAs it's better to be above 70VG. It all depends on how much throat hit you want, and whether you are chasing flavour or clouds. At 70VG you still get great flavour though.
    Would rather less throat hit and more flavour lol trying to have my cake and eat it too, by increasing the vg would that lower the flavour

AVF Regular
    At 80VG and 20PG I still get very good flavour. However different devices will also effect how good the flavour is. There are so many possibilities it generally comes down to trial and error and finding what you like with your gear.
    Last cigarette, 11:00 AM 11th March 2015.

It seems that my 50/50 pg/vg has come good but has taken 10 days lol think I need to change to 70/30 or something close to that