Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Megan Smith Strikes Again

Megan Smith Strikes Again

Some of you may remember from last year, as part of the AUSSIEASH project, I was attempting to contact and discuss the issues surrounding electronic cigarettes with various State and Federal Health departments.

If you need a recap - Musical Departments | SMOKESCREEN.info

Well it appears she has found out about VapeFest and rather than contacting us directly, she prefers to harass the venue. The following is a copy of an email received by Kelly's Bar & Kitchen:

Dear Kelly's Bar & Kitchen

I am writing to you in relation to Melbourne VapeFest 2012. I understand a
    VapeFest event is to be held at the premises 1510 Mount Dandenong Tourist
    Road, Olinda on 24 March 2012.

Please be advised that nicotine as supplied in electronic cigarettes
    including their cartridges, is regulated in Australia as a Schedule 7
    poison (Dangerous Poison). In Victoria under the Drugs, Poisons and
    Controlled Substances Act 1981 it is illegal to sell or supply nicotine
    containing products and to possess them regardless of whether or not they
    are for personal use.

I have attached a link to a fact sheet that applies in Victoria:
    http://docs.health.vic.gov.au/docs/doc/DD82BC7FF57D69A1CA257952007D6319/$FILE/Fact%20Sheet%20Electronic%20Cigarettes.doc

I suggest that you take account of nicotine controls in Victoria in
    relation to the proposed VapeFest activities.

Yours sincerely
    Megan Smith

Megan Smith
    Manager Standards and Monitoring | Drugs and Poisons Regulation
    Department of Health | 50 Lonsdale Street, Melbourne, Victoria, 3000

p. 03 9096 5355 | f. 03 1300 360 830
    e. megan.l.smith@health.vic.gov.au

Well kiddies, here is my response:

Good evening Megan,

I have been advised that you have emailed Kelly's Bar & Kitchen in regards to the up-coming VapeFest event. I'm glad to see you are taking an interest and, more to the point, you are actually able to write emails even if you don't like to reply to them.

To clarify for you, all electronic cigarette and personal vaporizer products available on the day for purchase, prizes and/or sampling are nicotine free in accordance with Australian law.

I also wanted to point out the error in the email that you sent our venue:

"Please be advised that nicotine as supplied in electronic cigarettes
    including their cartridges, is regulated in Australia as a Schedule 7
    poison (Dangerous Poison). In Victoria under the Drugs, Poisons and
    Controlled Substances Act 1981 it is illegal to sell or supply nicotine
    containing products and to possess them regardless of whether or not they
    are for personal use."

Electronic cigarette liquid (or eJuice) with nicotine is only Schedule 7 when used recreationally. According to the Poisons Standard 2011:

"NICOTINE for use as an aid in withdrawal from tobacco smoking in preparations for inhalation" is Schedule 2.

We are aware that without TGA approval this means they still cannot be sold in Australia, but they can be imported for personal usage. An interim decision from last year suggested that electronic cigarette solution with nicotine should be Schedule 4 rather than Schedule 2 but to my knowledge this does not change the legality of personal usage and possession, and according to the currently listed Poisons Standard (24/08/11) this interim decision has not yet even been enacted.

This was confirmed in a public statement to website "Crikey" from the TGA. The exact wording was:

"There are currently no laws preventing the importation of these products for personal use. Consumers are warned that use of e-cigarettes may pose a danger to health and are encouraged not to purchase these products. "

Unfortunately neither the TGA nor any other regulatory body has actually been able to say what "danger to health" might actually be, as the ingrediants of eJuice are well known and all considered to be safe. I would refer you statements from the Royal College of Physicians (Prof John Britton, chairman of the Royal College of Physicians Tobacco Advisory Group, said that e-cigarettes had the potential to save millions of lives) or the work of Dr Brad Rodu and Dr Michael Siegal for further information on the safety of these products.

If you have any further questions I would ask that you raise them directly with us (the organisers of this event) rather than harassing our venue.

--
    Regards,
    Sana Nolan
    Public Officer
    ATACA - Australian Tobacco Alternatives Consumer Association
    ATACA - Australian Tobacco Alternatives Consumer Association
    Last edited by soundasleep; 17-03-12 at 12:29 AM.
    MissMist likes this.

Now this Megan Smith appears to be a sneaky, slippery, manipulator to me. Spreading a bit of fear and doubt is a common tactic to shake the ground under someones feet.

It is a problem though as to how to handle this. She has certainly thrown a spanner!

Edit... I see know that you handled it very well.

RC
    Last edited by Ravenscroft; 17-03-12 at 12:39 AM.

Great response, keep up the great work! I cant understand for a second why people in these health departments are not embracing and exploring the benefits these device can offer to people and health system.

Ecigs: Halo G6-->Ego 650mAh-->Apex Ultra-->Smoketech VMAX-->Smoketech VMAX SS-->Smoketech Gripper VV-->Gus G22-18350-->Gus Telescopic-->Diablo Hybrid-->Caravela!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenscroft View Post
    It is a problem though as to how to handle this. She has certainly throw a spanner!
    Normally I like to approach things in a calm and rational manner. In this case, given she has hung up on me in the past and refused to answer any of ATACA's emails, I made an exception

It's not going to change anything. All juice for VapeFest is locally made and nicotine free, so completely legal. Like I said in my response email, on the issue of personal possession she's just outright wrong.

Even the official statement she links to is incorrect and in direct contradiction to statements from the TGA and other MP's.

It all comes down to money. The TGA (and I would assume by extension her department) are largely funded by therapeutic application fees. Since we don't consider eJuice with nicotine to be a medicine, we won't pay for "approval" and therefore no money directly or indirectly for them.

This, my friends, is what we are up against.

AVF Regular
    I hope the venue doesn't get too put off by this.

Quote Originally Posted by Australis View Post
    Nothing to worry about there either

AVF Regular
    Good response, SAS. I really wish I could attend. But meanwhile, keep up the great work. And well done on your handling of this.
    Vaper since 11 Dec 2011

Joyetech Evic-VTC MINI, eLeaf TC40 x2, Uwell Crown & Aspire Titan2

Vaping Blog: http://gaelyne.com/category/vape-away/

Quote Originally Posted by Australis View Post
    If any thing it is more of an incentive. They knew it might be contraversal. And any news is good news. Hope to see alot of you there. Free food and good beer, or what ever takes your fancy.
    Can't say how much work sas has done, but you are a super mutan who was made for this job. Well done. And you are a great bloke to boot.
    I think at the end of the day it all comes down to money. And if every one stops smoking we would be paying $20 for a pint of beer. But governing body's should know what they are enforcing, and in this case it clearly isn't true.
    Be aware every one I am sure they are reading.

Stay safe and stay smoke free peace out.

Xxx
    Last edited by Robee; 17-03-12 at 01:57 AM.
    Trying to live longer and stronger.
    Loving the jib mini. Best ever.

AVF Regular
    IAM SO PROUD TO BE IN THIS COMMUNITY (sorry for the caps just want to express what i feel).
    With people like SAS and Robee who's sacrifies so much for this event and of course to the owner of the venue.
    Anywho, at least she notice and give attention to the up coming event...theres a saying " Any publicity is a godd publicity".
    MissMist likes this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast