Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
Like Tree249Likes

Thread: Random News ... etc etc etc...

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    I wrote a rant reply. It hasn't shown up yet LOL.
    My rant showed up: May I respectfully ask what a Tobacco Compliance Officer knows about e-cigarettes? What are your medical qualifications?
    People with no medical qualifications should not be making ridiculous statements in the media. There is ample research done in the UK by the British Royal College of Physicians to state that these devices are 90-95% safer than smoking. N.Z. has accepted this. Yet Ian Hardinge thinks he knows more than the British Royal College of Physicians. To the reporter Stephen Mudd I say this.....Your article certainly is unqualified mud. I am surprised at you for not doing better research before writing such nonsense based on a statement of a non medical person who's job is Tobacco Compliance and policing non smoking areas .
    Jemor likes this.
    Lest in self defence it be,
    Harm you none,
    So may it be!

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingfox12 View Post
    PMSL what people will do for a stinkey. Mind you a friend of mine had an attempted mugging in Tamworth some time ago for a stinky. The mugger did not have a chance as my friend is ex army and I feel sorry for the poor dude that tried to mug him.
    This sort of thing is only going to get worse with the huge hike in tobacco taxes and the squeeze on low income/social security welfare cards. These idiot governments never think outside their box when implementing such things on society. They want to out price smokes so people can't afford them. I think they do need history lessons with a concentration on the prohibitions of the past. It's sad that we have so many non educated people running our countries.
    gert, fabricator4 and flyingfox12 like this.
    Jemor

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Jemor View Post
    This sort of thing is only going to get worse with the huge hike in tobacco taxes and the squeeze on low income/social security welfare cards. These idiot governments never think outside their box when implementing such things on society. They want to out price smokes so people can't afford them. I think they do need history lessons with a concentration on the prohibitions of the past. It's sad that we have so many non educated people running our countries.
    Alas the fools running our country have excellent education, however their brains are limited to their treasury income. Money is the root of all evil and the lack of money to buy stinkies is even a worse evil. Thank God I do not carry stinkies any more on my person. One person came up to me when I was parked in a car and wanted to beg a stinky. I told him I did not smoke. He replied that I was I liar as he saw my cloud. I smiled and showed him the vape. WTF is that man he says. I rest my case, no public education, he had no idea they even existed. I pointed him in the right direction as to where to get them.
    Lest in self defence it be,
    Harm you none,
    So may it be!

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Jemor View Post
    Totally agree Jemor.
    When you hear non smokers talk about how smokers choose to smoke and "it's their own fault" you realise the depth of ignorance about cigarette addiction-- how strong it can be, and how hard the struggle to stop smoking. I know many people who have been through the cold Turkey routine and put up a heroic effort many times without success. Pills patches hypnosis drugs counselling. You name it, they try it.Some succeed, some find it easy to walk away but not everyone.

Governments have their own addiction problem, addicted to the huge amounts of money that rolls in with Tobacco taxes,.. yet while keeping a straight face they earnestly demand we stop smoking.

Obvious the last thing they want is for people to stop smoking.
    Cath Mort, fabricator4 and Jemor like this.

AVF Regular
    Wagga vaping store opens to huge demand
    ‘Vaping’ trend comes to Wagga | Video | The Daily Advertiser

South Africa: No Scientific Credibility to Claim That Vaping Is 95 Percent Safer Than Traditional Cigarettes
    http://allafrica.com/stories/201707110756.html

Vaping 101: Can you vape around your pets?

Read more: Vaping 101: Can you vape around your pets? | Metro News

Ten years after the smoking ban, vaping is a £1bn business
    https://www.theguardian.com/business...form=hootsuite

In french needs translate
    The spread of the vapor in the United States in 55,000 tweets

La propagation de la vape aux USA en 55.000 tweets | Vaping Post

image hosting com

OT - Do you remember that smoking baby that was smoking a pack a day?

Here he is now - but cant help cynically think that PH will be on him soon for his weight - Oh and it talks about other interesting indonesian stuff
    'Smoking baby' kicked habit but battle rage on | Guardian News

OT Tasmania Misuse by Risdon Prison inmates leads to nicotine replacement therapy being phased out ( I have so many comments for this - bah!)

PRISON authorities are winding down a nicotine replacement therapy program with correctional officers happy to see the back of the problem-causing patches.

The nicotine patches were given to inmates after the Tasmania Prison Service banned smoking in February, 2015.
    But problems emerged as the patches became a currency in the jail and inmates used them incorrectly.
    This included prisoners boiling down the patches and mixing them with broccoli, among other things, to smoke.
    A correctional officer said inmates were being “stood over” for their patches.
    “Prisoners get beaten up for them, they’re a big prison cash item,” the officer said.
    The patches will soon only be available to new prisoners going through the week-long induction phase at Hobart Reception Prison.
    Community and Public Sector Union secretary Tom Lynch said there had been “very big problems” with the patches at Risdon.
    “There’s evidence people have been pressed to enter the program to have the patches then taken off them,” he said.
    “There’s a market in there for the product. I think it’s going to be shut down because there was always going to be a logical end to the program but I think concerns with the way it’s played out maybe hastened the closure of the program.”
    In Budget Estimates last month Director of Prisoners Brian Edwards played down the issues, saying Tasmania had been the only state to introduce a smoke-free prison “without any major problem”.
    “As usual, people will find ways of trying to do things, so we have a few troubles but they are minor ... and they are not as dramatic as people think with the NRT,” Mr Edwards said.
    A Justice Department spokesman said the program would continue to be made available to “new prisoners on a limited basis”.
    “Nicotine replacement therapy is one of the supports provided to new prisoners to assist with the transition to a smoke-free environment,’’ the spokesman said.
    “While initially there was a high interest in the program, the demand for NRT by eligible prisoners has steadily decreased.”

OT IQOS
    Seeking Redemption, Big Tobacco Says New Products Eliminate 90 Percent Of Smoking Toxins
    Big Tobacco Says New Products Eliminate 90 Percent Of Smoking Toxins

IQOS Marketing strategy
    Tobacco giant Philip Morris is paying people £50 if they persuade a smoker to quit
    Tobacco giant Philip Morris is paying people £50 if they persuade a smoker to quit | The Independent

OT - Glantz bangs his censorship drum in the arts in the US

Tobacco in the movies doesn't seem to be going anywhere - CNN.com

fabricator4 likes this.
    NNA AU and general vape advocacy in Australia summed up-
    There is nothing to see here- it has nothing to do with you or vapers - Its not your business...
    Secrecy for the greater good... Enemies are everywhere

"If you see something ...Say say nothing...
    Then drink to forget ..."
    One of us... one of us...one of us....

AVF Regular
    More than meets the eye?

Found this french article talking about the AMA and the inquiry - It makes strong reference to WADA in the first couple of paragraphs but does not elaborate - I did try and find a supporting article cause if its the same WADA then they are parents of ASADA where WODAK is very handy to have (Sorry style )

Translate needed- but it is just interesting the further you go down the rabbit hole

AUSTRALIA: THE AUSTRALIA MEDICAL ASSOCIATION WANTS THE E-CIGARETTE TO REMAIN HIGHLY REGULATED.

AUSTRALIE : L'Australia Medical Association souhaite que la e-cigarette reste fortement réglementée.

The article links to this AJP one which makes no mention of WADA-

The AMA has called for e-cigarettes to remain subject to “strong regulation” in Australia

Commenting on its submission to an inquiry into the devices, the AMA says it believes that there is currently no compelling evidence that e-cigarettes are successful in helping people to stop smoking.
    In the submission, to the Standing Committee on Health, Aged Care and Sport Inquiry into the Use and Marketing of Electronic Cigarettes and Personal Vaporisers in Australia, the AMA says that the tobacco industry is aggressively pursuing the potential of new products, including e-cigarettes, which can either maintain or establish a nicotine addiction in users.
    AMA President Dr Michael Gannon says that the growth in e-cigarette products internationally has provided sections of the tobacco industry with the opportunity to rebrand themselves as part of the effort to reduce smoking – but there is no evidence that e-cigarettes work as a deterrent.
    “E-cigarettes must not be allowed to be marketed with claims that they are a smoking cessation aid,” Dr Gannon says. “There is no such evidence.
    “Australian authorities have not been able to establish any proof that e-cigarettes are safe or effective in stopping people smoking.
    “Australia is a world leader in tobacco control, and we must remain a world leader in stopping people smoking or taking up smoking for the first time.
    “We must not allow e-cigarettes to become a socially acceptable alternative to smoking.”
    Dr Gannon says that e-cigarettes essentially mimic or normalise the act of smoking.
    “They can result in some smokers delaying their decision to quit, and they can send signals to children and young people that it is okay to smoke,” he says.
    He called for e-cigarettes and related products to be only available to people aged over 18, and says that marketing and advertising of e-cigarettes should be subject to the same restrictions as cigarettes.
    Dr Gannon said that longitudinal research being conducted by the National Health and Medical Research Council into the safety or otherwise of e-cigarettes is ongoing and will take time.
    “Until we see comprehensive clinical reports from the NHMRC on the safety or non-safety of e-cigarettes, we must continue to treat these products with extreme caution,” Dr Gannon says.
    The AMA’s submission points out that while many online e-cigarette retailers claim the products are recognised cessation aids, they have not been approved by the TGA in this capacity.
    In March this year, the TGA made a final decision on nicotine for use in the devices, which was to maintain the ban on the substance for use in e-cigarettes.
    There is nothing to see here- it has nothing to do with you or vapers - Its not your business...

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    So Dr Gannon makes inference that ecigs are not a smoking cessation.? I wonder if he understands the psychology of smokers and the need to find an alternative to the hand mouth part for smokers. What a fool he is.
    blox4u likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by SubyXV View Post
    So Dr Gannon makes inference that ecigs are not a smoking cessation.? I wonder if he understands the psychology of smokers and the need to find an alternative to the hand mouth part for smokers. What a fool he is.

Vape shops are not allowed to make cessation claims, then they turn around and say it's not a cessation tool. If you quiz them, they would still count vapers as smokers, because we are still smoking. Basically, we can't win. This is evidenced by the fact that even though there are millions of ex-smokers due to vaping, they still refuse to classify the evidence as anything but anecdotal. There are non so blind as those who will not see...
    Cath Mort likes this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    He cannot grasp that concept, because he's got his hand on it.
    Rabid non-smoker since 1630hrs 25/11/2016.

Pebble fondler, living life beyond the vertical.

AVF Regular
    Doctor Gannon is a twat - but what he says about vaping not being an anti smoking cessation device is not doom and gloom -

It could be said that vaping is in fact a lower risk smoking alternative designed to shift people away from smoking and stop them inhaling over 4000 chemicals in cigarettes lowing the over all death toll of cigarettes

This becomes more prominent when the issue of no research proving any addictiveness of nicotine on its own with any real side effects - is brought to the forefront

Its not what you say - its how you say it

Update - big picture WADA stuff

WADA work extensive with UNESCO who work heavily with WHO- this all translates into smaller Australian and australian based organisations which have aligned their values with these groups

Nicotine and all related products is on the WADA restricted list

UNESCO have in recent years become very anti tobacco - but I am not clear as to how this translates into vaping although they do have a very strong anti all substance abuse strategy that will apparently last until 2030

UNESCO is an arm of the United Nations who work closely with WHO - the World Health Organisation which many of the Aussie anti vape groups align their own values with

For those who dont know UNESCO is an arm of the United nations which Australians are a part of and who were also behind the push behind plain packaging

The AMA is also a signitory to the WMA - which is another arm of the United Nations

There is alot of talk about corruption in the ranks and people in countries wanting to break away from these umbrella groups for a number of different reasons

Even if nothing else - It is interesting ...
    gert and fabricator4 like this.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast